DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-17-2010, 06:51 AM

Default Best bass drum muffle

I just took out my blanket and put on a new EVANS EMAD2 drum muffling head and its sounding alright but it needs something else in there. it's still too hollow i believe.

i'm thinking just a small pillow should do nice, but is there something that would tandem perfectly with that EVANS EMAD drum head?? i read an article on drum recording that says a down pillow sounds the best. any other ideas are welcome
Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Best bass drum muffle

just put a sheet or something in there. You already have a pre muffled thick 2 ply head, and if you put a pillow in there you'll completely kill the volume. The sheet takes up less volume inside the drum, preserves the tone more, and you can also adjust it to get the sound you want without losing too much volume.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordword View Post
i'm thinking just a small pillow should do nice
I was going to say "it's soft, normally covered in cloth, and it's on your bed", but that seemed a little too sarcastic, not to mention pointless.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

If you play out unmiked, you're already over-muffled with the EMAD2. Muffling makes the bass drum softer--that's why they call it muffling. When unmiked remove all internal muffling and tune for sustain. You hear the sustain at the kit but the audience doesn't, they just hear a louder drum. A less muffled batter (such as an EQ4) will help.

For miked situations you'll need a ported reso and some muffling. Things like blankets, pillows, and futons kill tone, so premuffled heads are an advantage. You can try your EMAD2 with perhaps an EQ4 reso. If you need additional muffling try an Evans EQ pad or a small rolled-up towel against the head. Keep the reso pretty loose and the batter tighter.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:34 PM

I like PS3's for batter and reso. I use an Evans RGS Pad. Small end against the batter head. I don't actually use the gate.

It still leaves a devent amount of resonance but tightens it up enough for a mic
Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 AM

Very broad question but a good one. Being someone who plays, builds, and records drums, its all about taste. Recording, music style, micing, even with the same bass is all different. There is no “Best” muffling. Its all personal opinion, and drum wood size blah blah blah for that matter. Sometimes a cheap pillow is amazing, sometimes it sucks. The best sounding bass I ever hear/recorded was with a Evans emad batter and reso head, yet at the same time the worst drum I have ever heard was also with the same heads. So its all experimenting. (which can get pricy) but in the end who cares what you use as long as it sounds good
Old 04-18-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardsteel View Post
I was going to say "it's soft, normally covered in cloth, and it's on your bed"
Is it the comforter?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:58 AM

Hey thanks a lot.

Not gonna lie that EMAD2 + Folded Sheet is giving a real nice thump. The EMAD2 by itself didn't sound too great. Althought it can sound phenomenal on its own, it just depends on the bass drum itself and the resonant head. and obviously the tuning as well

sheet worked on this one. thanks for helping me save some dollars

And speaking of dollars, check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170476148143

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

Help a broke dude out!!

Last edited by wordword; 04-22-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:04 AM

I have a Remo coated Powerstroke 3 on the batter head and a Ludwig vintage smooth white with "power collar" (Ludwig's version of the Powerstroke) on the reso head and it sounds very punchy on my 14 x 20. Good enough that I plan to use the same heads on my 14 x 22 the next time I change them.

And you don't need a port to mic your kick drum

So, you might try a Remo power stroke 3, or the equivalent, on your reso head
Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

The best way to muffle any drum - kick, snare or tom - is with thicker heads. Putting foreign objects, mattresses, pillows, etc. in the drum just kills its sound.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 AM
"Uncle Larry"

There's a lot of different flavors of muffling. It depends. You could do like DMC says and muffle by thickening the head. But that affects the attack. You could throw a sheet in there with a single ply head and get the sharp attack but lose some boom. There are dozens of combinations, then you add ported vs non ported resos, felt vs hard beaters, etc and the answer to your question has to come from your your own trial and error. You have to know what tone you like, and there's quite a few to be had from a bass drum, then figure out how to get it. Me I like not only putting some type of cotton in there, but also pressing it up against a single ply batter head from the inside, with a ported reso, hard plastic beater.
But, you have to find YOUR favorite method of muffling, mine doesn't count in your world.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Have you tried felt strips?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

+1 for the felt strip. I couldn't bear to stuff my kick full of crap, the other advantage is that the strip stays in place and doesn't move around when I'm moving my kit.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
+1 for the felt strip. I couldn't bear to stuff my kick full of crap, the other advantage is that the strip stays in place and doesn't move around when I'm moving my kit.
Third advantage: the muffling is adjustable depending on where you locate the strip: nearer the edge for less, nearer the center of the head for more.