28" Kick/Bass head - Where to buy?

RogerTheShrubber

I have a 28" marching bass that I converted to a kick (huge sound) but the heads are old and thin. I am wanting to slap some new heads on there but I am having a hard time finding a place that is reputable and fast shipping for heads of this size.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a fast/reliable/cheap place to buy these?

Thanks for any info!~!

i know evans makes marching bass heads, but they're expensive, $83+
and i know remo makes them too, but i dont know the pricing on those.

actually, i found a site with the remo Powermax marching head for 45 bucks for a 28" head, about the same as a normal

The easiest thing to do is go to Guitar Center or wherever and have them special order it/buy it online. I don't know what style you're playing but for anything in the vein of rock I'd recommend a good batter head with internal dampening.

The other option is to buy it online. I did a quick search and came up with these:

http://www.hendersongroupltd.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3395&idcategory=0

http://www.samash.com/p/28 Coated Pinstripe Bass Drum Head_-49976007

The big drawback to a big ol' kick like yours is that finding heads is a huge pain. I play a 24" and I have trouble finding heads, most stores won't carry anything larger than a 24" and the selection is limited at that. Just search online and see what's around, I like Samash.com because you can search by size. You should expect to dish out 40-60 bucks for a batter head.

Hit your nearest store. Online merchants have a really limited selection of 28s compared to what's available, and you will more commonly get hit with the oversize shipping fee on those heads.

Hit your nearest store. Online merchants have a really limited selection of 28s compared to what's available, and you will more commonly get hit with the oversize shipping fee on those heads.

Ah yes, thank you. Forgot to mention that the wait might be a little larger but the advantage of special ordering through the store is that you won't have to pay shipping. Check out the manufacture's website and they'll show what sizes they make what in. I looks like Aquarian makes most of their stuff in a 28".

Thanks for all the info!

I ended up not being patient and ordered online (got a hefty shipping charge as well). Next time I will just hit up a local dealer and special order it from them. :)

I always fall for my "I want it now" urges which can be wrong sometimes......

I hope you enjoy the 28! how deep is it? I run a SKII and a unported ambassador on mine it sounds epic. The thing that sucks about ordering at stores (in my experiance) is aquarian takes a ton of time to ship out a 28. Remo came in well under a month though, but I have to have that superkick.

Thanks for all the info!

I ended up not being patient and ordered online (got a hefty shipping charge as well). Next time I will just hit up a local dealer and special order it from them. :)

I always fall for my "I want it now" urges which can be wrong sometimes......

On 28s, foresight is crucial. I've got 4 spares for both batter and reso, way more than I keep on hand for anything else (normally I've got one or two extra). That shipping charge, delay, etc - all worth keeping on hand. 'Cause if you rip a 28 head, you're not gonna find the head you want on short notice. :)

I've tried a bunch of different heads on my 28's and my favorite is the Heavy Coated Ludwig head on front and back.
Solid, fat sound, real nice feel, tunes up easily....I really like those heads. I have it on a couple 26's also.

I just order heads from the shop.
Remo or Ludwig bass drum heads always come in within a week (or 2 for Ludwig).
It's not often though, some of my kick heads are over 5 years old!

Back