DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-17-2010, 12:49 AM

Default Drum Cases

Wow been a while sence I posted here, hi all!

So I will be heading to school next month, and I'm looking to invest in some cases to keep my kit and the hardwear/cymbals protected while I'm out. Ive done a bit of looking around, but I really know nothing about the various brands or what I really should be looking for.

I live close to the salt water, so I do need to worry abit about corrosion (although I think any case will do the trick). I have no idea whether to go hard/soft, i'm guess hard cases are just for more active moving. Most likley they will just sit in the case while I'm at school, and probably not be moved to much while I'm out, so i'm guessing a soft case would do the trick fine.

Any reviews/suggestions ect?

thanks!
Cav
Old 06-17-2010, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Drum Cases

Cases are nice, for preventing dust and making the drums easier to carry. There's not a huge difference in protection between, say, a Galaxy soft case and a H&B Enduro case (the enduro cases flex, meaning that your drums can still be damaged if they're dropped from high up, or something heavy lands on them. I'd go with the soft cases, because they're cheaper and will still isolate your drums from the salty, humid air (but you should store them in a climate-controlled building if possible).

For cymbals, go with a hard case if you have nice pies. Make sure there is a plastic or rubber sleeve over the metal bolt.

Last edited by RMS; 06-17-2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Cases are nice, for preventing dust and making the drums easier to carry. There's not a huge difference in protection between, say, a Galaxy soft case and a H&B Enduro case (the enduro cases flex, meaning that your drums can still be damaged if they're dropped from high up, or something heavy lands on them.
Not true.. while the Enduro will flex a slight bit, there is far more protection in a hard case, regardless of brand.

H&B also make Enduro Pro cases which exceed ATA case specs....

With that said, where are they going to be stored? In your room, in a place where nobody can mess with them? Or are you going to play football with them during a frat party?

Since you live near salt water, no matter what cases you get and use, you should periodically check the drums and keep them clean...
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

i just got some Drumseeker bags,off ebay.They have a nice lining inside and are made really nice.Id bet they would more than do the job for you.Now they cant protect like a hard case,but outside of them being thrown out a window,these drumseeker bags are super tough,and will keep your shells safe.......
Old 06-18-2010, 02:47 AM

[quote=latzanimal;713064]Not true.. while the Enduro will flex a slight bit, there is far more protection in a hard case, regardless of brand.
[quote]

I own sets of soft and hard cases, just going by my personal observations. And I don't think he's going to splurge on the pro models.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 AM

My review of the DrumSeeker line..

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61625

Best soft case in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:05 AM

First of all thanks for the replys all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latzanimal View Post
With that said, where are they going to be stored? In your room, in a place where nobody can mess with them? Or are you going to play football with them during a frat party?
I will be storing them at my house while I am away at school, they probably wont get touched or moved to much, I just want something a bit more protecting than a sheet to keep dust/salt air off of them. Seems like the soft cases are the way to go at the moment because of the lack of movement and good protection. I'll look more into the brands you guys have suggested as well.

Cav
Old 06-29-2010, 06:45 AM

When I bought a new Gretsch Catalina maple kit, I bought SKB hardshell cases. Best money I ever spent! I bought the line that has the felted cushion in each case. I just can't see using a soft case. They don't protect much if you drop a case down a flight of stairs (which I try not to do if I can help it!).
Old 06-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Check out the Road Runner bags. I have them for one of my sets and they're adequate protection (as a soft case) and are well constructed.

They also go on clearance quite often and some of the 12+ Road Runners I have, I got for $9 to $15 each. Not the bass and floor tom sizes but they are worth a look. Good budget soft cases.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

On the economical side, and I discovered this as I was researching what cases to get for my new kit (I always budget for cases when I budget the kit, because I know I'll be working with them, and I drive a truck with no shell over the bed), but if you search for good bags, sometimes they cost just as much as a better hardcase.

One example, I did an eBay search for drum set cases, and found Gator hard cases (a 'fusion' set for five drums) at $299 (that's with shipping, new). If I wanted to purchase, say, drum bags by Protection Racket, the same set for bags comes in a little over $300.

Bags are good if you're gonna take them out and you have to get them inside a sedan. But if they're exposed to the elements, like in the bed of my truck, then hard cases are your only choice.

You said it was mainly for storage, but in this case, the hardcases cost less. You might as well invest for the future when you start taking the drums out alot more to play.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:42 PM

I currently have Wolfpak for my Bass and Floor tom. Pretty inexpensive and do the job. Like the poster before me, it depends what kind of vehicle your gonna put them in. I load my own stuff and take great care even though they are in protective cases. If this is the case( pardon the pun), then soft cases should be fine. Nomad makes a cheap set of cases, but I hear they're just that...cheap. Wolfpack's also hold their shape so you'll be able to put your bass drum in easier, just like hard cases. I've had bad experiences with Roadrunner. the zipper holder thingy snaps off easily.
Gibraltar
Old 06-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Having seen and tested many different brands of soft cases, the best on the market in my opinion is Protection Racket. No question. We even did a nice little video featuring these cases too about a year and a half ago:

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/store...on-racket.aspx