DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-26-2010, 12:44 AM

Default Snare Drumhead combo for my Supra ludalloy

i have a 14x5 ludalloy supra, i want to know what is the best snare head combo? from evans i want the best drumhead for versatility that i can tune it high with a great crack and also can tune it low for fat sounding.. i have no issue using a moongel i just want to have some opinions from other drummers that have supra and maybe give them your experience and recommend me, because this is my first snare after my stock snare! happy drumming! thanks in advance :D
Old 06-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Snare Drumhead combo for my Supra ludalloy

I own a Supra too (LM400) and I use the Aquarian Response 2 on mine. It's their standard 2-ply head.
I know a lot of folks use a regular 1-ply head such as a Remo Ambassador and just let it ring. I liked the sound of a 1-ply alright but I really dug the slightly darker/warmer sound of the 2-ply. Plus I thought it rang a bit too much with the regular Texture Coated head.

I would experiment with a couple different types of heads (I also liked one of the Power Dot heads I tried) and see what you like.

Keep in mind that whatever sound you are going for will usually be heard from several feet away. What is low and fat from your perspective may well sound like a cardboard box to the audience. In your head experiments, try to get a friend to play the snare while you listen from across the room. Even with my 2-ply head my Supra rings quite a bit from where I sit, but from 50 feet away it sounds really punchy with just a hint of a ring...which is drowned out when other instruments are added to the equation.

Oh, and I wouldn't use moongel on this snare. Apparently it's a misdemeanor in some states to use muffling of any sort on a Supra. ;-)
Old 06-26-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I own a Supra too (LM400) and I use the Aquarian Response 2 on mine. It's their standard 2-ply head.
I know a lot of folks use a regular 1-ply head such as a Remo Ambassador and just let it ring. I liked the sound of a 1-ply alright but I really dug the slightly darker/warmer sound of the 2-ply. Plus I thought it rang a bit too much with the regular Texture Coated head.

I would experiment with a couple different types of heads (I also liked one of the Power Dot heads I tried) and see what you like.

Keep in mind that whatever sound you are going for will usually be heard from several feet away. What is low and fat from your perspective may well sound like a cardboard box to the audience. In your head experiments, try to get a friend to play the snare while you listen from across the room. Even with my 2-ply head my Supra rings quite a bit from where I sit, but from 50 feet away it sounds really punchy with just a hint of a ring...which is drowned out when other instruments are added to the equation.

Oh, and I wouldn't use moongel on this snare. Apparently it's a misdemeanor in some states to use muffling of any sort on a Supra. ;-)
oh thanks! i just thought that 2ply head would cut the brightness of my snare it's good to hear that you tested it out and ended like being satisfied about it! :) oh and im also scared of some drumheads that will maybe be sounding dead (like powercenter or other heads that has a built in muffling system) i want to try Gplus coated because some of the reviews thought that this head is in between a 1 ply and 2ply, well thanks for your time :D
Old 06-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Platinum Member

No such thing as a "best" snare head combo. The question you ask is relative to the player.

That said, I have two supra's...a 400 and a 402. I've always been partial to a coated Remo Emperor over a snare side Ambassador for both of them. The Evans equivalent is a coated G2 over a Hazy 300. Shouldn't require muffling, but if you absolutely have to, a little bit of moongel will see you right.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:37 AM
Gold Member

I'd go with a G1 or G2 on top, though a Power Center Reverse Dot would be another great choice.

For bottom heads I think a Ludwig snare side sounds great on a Supra, but if you really want to go Evans top and bottom the Hazy 300 would be fine.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:39 AM
Platinum Member

Try the new Remo snare side black dots, they're awesome. There's also a modified evans power center batter head, that also puts extra power dots around the main power dot in the center.

Just kidding!
Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 AM

wow thanks for your suggestions! 2 here both like 2ply head on their snare! i should try it too! any other suggestions?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Gold Member

In general I've found Supraphonics don't require "complicated" heads to sound good, in fact, I think the simpler the better.

If you're interested in trying something other than Evans I'd recommend an Aquarian Modern Vintage medium on the batter side. They have a nice warm, mellow sound that's a little different than the typical coated one-ply head and introduce some really pleasant overtones to the drum.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
No such thing as a "best" snare head combo. The question you ask is relative to the player.

That said, I have two supra's...a 400 and a 402. I've always been partial to a coated Remo Emperor over a snare side Ambassador for both of them. The Evans equivalent is a coated G2 over a Hazy 300. Shouldn't require muffling, but if you absolutely have to, a little bit of moongel will see you right.
I second this combo. Great sound, durability and has been used by the greats. You can't go wrong here if you want that classic 400 or 402 sound IMO.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 PM

Can't go wrong with a coated Ambassador on top and an Ambassador Hazy on the bottom in my experience.

I've been using that combo on my 14x5 Supra to great effect for about 10 years straight.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqadan View Post
Can't go wrong with a coated Ambassador on top and an Ambassador Hazy on the bottom in my experience.

I've been using that combo on my 14x5 Supra to great effect for about 10 years straight.
does the side snare really make a big difference in a snare drum? sorry for the newbie question i have the coated ambassador and i feel like it has much rings in it maybe because of my tuning but i don't have hazy on the bottom. .
Old 06-29-2010, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

The snare response and sensitivity are almost completely dependent on the snare head and how it is tuned. Shell ring (or lack of) is usually more dependent on the batter head and shell material. I've also noticed when a snare drum starts sounding harsh and obnoxious it's usually because the snare head is going dead and needs to be replaced.

Some people swear by water clear snare heads, some think the hazy heads are just fine, some like a textured snare head like the Remo Renaissance or Evans Orchestral, with 2 mil, 3 mil, or sometimes 5 mil weights, and even though the actual difference in sound between the different options are small by themselves, what they contribute to the overall sound of the drum can be pretty large.