DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-08-2010, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

Default Pearl Icon Rack/Double Bass Question

I'm wondering what parts you need to have in order to modify (hopefully only temporarily) my Pearl ICON drum rack so that it can accommodate two Bass Drums with only one bar in front.

Like so:

Hopefully this isn't a permanent thing....

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pearl Icon Rack/Double Bass Question

There are no pieces you can buy to achieve that without modifying permanently your rack sadly...

In a nutshell, those vertical bars that are moved further to the side have been cut down. The remaining pieces being used to attach the front bar to the side bars.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:56 PM

What I would reccommend is they have make a short rack bar for this scenerio. I'm not exactly sure how much it would cost, but you would also probably have to buy 2 more legs in order to make it a sturdy structure. I use the pearl icon rack as well for my kit and I'm about to expand to 2 basses and that is what I have found to be the easiest setup so far. Plus by doing this you can mount those two splashes you have on the long bar on the short bar instead. But on any note...nice kit.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

To be honest Jonathan, although I agree it looks quite good, I'm not sure it's that stable. Look at the small tube size that interfaces with the legs and the side rack profile. If I really wanted to use a DB setup with an Icon rack, I'd invest in the extra curved front profile & leg. I'm actually quite used to modifying Icon stuff. It's not difficult, but requires some care & thought.

If you really wanted to go for the look in the picture, you could buy some stock tubing of the same dimensions as the Icon legs, & fit your own clamps. I'm not too sure of availability, but it shouldn't be impossible to find.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Gold Member

Ok guys thanks for all the responses!

The whole reason I didn't wanna buy a second bar was so I wouldn't have to spread everything out and modify my setup just to have another bass drum.

Now I'm thinking maybe I'll give that a miss then, because I definitely don't wanna sacrifice stability in the name of Double Kick.

Thanks again!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Silver Member

KIS - I know a few guys who tour with modified ICON racks exactly as on the picture and there are no stability issues. It's very solid.

PoE - There is another way to set up a double bass kit without buying another bar. Actually, you only need to bars and it looks like this:

An alternate possibility...
Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 PM

Hi guys!

This is my first post, I just registered to explain how these racks were assembled.
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.ladrummerie.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30184

In a nutshell, Pearl has made RJ-100 an DR-100L hardware pieces which appear on catalogues only without photos.

Here's (an approximate) translation of the last quote:

Quote:
Hi,

I'm in charge of Pearl's distribution in France. To follow your demand, I am pleased to inform you that our RJ-100 and DR-100L pieces are available on order. If you are interested in those two items, please contact your local reseller to know the price and delay.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
KIS - I know a few guys who tour with modified ICON racks exactly as on the picture and there are no stability issues. It's very solid.
That's good to hear. Of course, I have no experience of that setup. It's just that the use of smaller diameter tubing offered the possibility of being less solid. I did notice that there wasn't a lot of stuff hanging off the centre bar though. I wouldn't like to try it with the stuff I've got mounted on the front bar.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
There are no pieces you can buy to achieve that without modifying permanently your rack sadly...

In a nutshell, those vertical bars that are moved further to the side have been cut down. The remaining pieces being used to attach the front bar to the side bars.
The comment about permanence is actually not correct. The mod was achieved with a pipe cutter taking off the top 6-8 inches of the middle 2 support posts. Then you need need 2 more Pearl PCL-100's:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...cks?sku=448723

and 2 more pcx 100's for the new support rods.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...amp?sku=448841

OR if you have some thick tubing on a cymbal boom, your boom can mate with both the square tube and the T-leg assembly, saving you the expense of extra clamps. Now because the Icon vertical tubing is standard 1 1/2" round tubing, you can re-attatch the cut off portion of the tube with any standard tube coupler:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...amp?sku=446078

That piece returns your cut modified vertical bars to almost the exact starting length, the only limitation being you cannot obviously attach the horizontal squarebar to where the coupler is attached along the vertical tube.

As far as stability, the modified rack system will be stable as a rock, easily supporting double the amount of drums and cymbals you want can put on it. Just make sure you center of gravity falls between the four posts and you're fine (In other words, make sure your middle posts are much closer to the front of the horizontal bars than the back.)
In the pic, if i were that guy, i'd pull those middle T-leg assemblies up closer to the bass spurs.