DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-17-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Buying new heads - input?

Hey guys,

I currently use a 13x10 tom, 16x16 floor tom and a 14x5.5 snare drum.

I'm in two minds about what drum sound I want. Currently I use Remo Coated Ambassadors. I really like the sound, but I need to buy a new batter head for my snare drum soon and figured I may as well buy some new tom heads to try.

I'm in a rock band which is fairly heavy. I really like the Nirvana drum sound. I think Dave Grohl used Pinstripes and an Aquarian on the snare.

I've used Pinstripes before and loved the sound. I'm thinking of going for the 2-ply coated Pinstripes. Does anyone know if there's a major difference between these and the clear ones? I've only had a chance to try the clear ones so far.

Also, I'm a heavy hitter and in 3 gigs, my Coated Ambassador snare head is starting to give way. It's tuned properly and the head is tight enough, the problem is obviously the head not quite being durable enough for the way I play. What do Aquarian heads sound like, and which is the best to go for? At the minute I'm leaning towards the Hi-Energy Snare, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks guys =)
Old 06-17-2010, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Buying new heads - input?

Aquarian heads are nice, hi-energy model is really durable but it makes the snare sound like cardboard. Personally don't like that type of over muffled sound, I prefer more of a ringing sound.

Try a dotted Aquarian (can't remember the name, Focus energy maybe). Or any kind of power center/dotted snare. It should help.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Two-Shoes View Post
I'm thinking of going for the 2-ply coated Pinstripes. Does anyone know if there's a major difference between these and the clear ones? I've only had a chance to try the clear ones so far.

Also, I'm a heavy hitter and in 3 gigs, my Coated Ambassador snare head is starting to give way. It's tuned properly and the head is tight enough, the problem is obviously the head not quite being durable enough for the way I play.
Coated heads generally sound a bit warmer than clear heads. And there is a little more attack with a clear head, I've found. If in doubt, buy one and try it out.....if you like it, do the rest of the kit.

As for the snare, have you tried a coated Emperor? A 2 ply head will give you more durability.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

The Focus head mentioned before is the Focus-X. It's a single ply head with a muffling ring around the perimeter. It would probably give you the muffling your seeking but wouldn't last long if you're as heavy handed as you say. They are a great head though.

Aquarian's regular 2-ply heads are the Response 2 and would be similar to putting a coated Emporer on your snare, but it would last much longer. Aquarian has the toughest, longest-lasting coating IMO. The Performance 2 is pretty much a step up those heads are sealed around the edge and has a deep muffled tone. If you go clear, you can get one with a Power Dot. They also offer the aforementioned Hi-Velocity head that might work for you as well.

Additionally, they have the absolute best customer service. I've called them a few times with questions and always get very informed answers. Give them a call.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/

(714) 632-0230
Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Cheers guys, very helpful =)
Old 06-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Coated Pinstripes sound VERY good.
Not too long ago, I played a gig on a back line kit (LOW, LOW line PDP kit) and it made the toms actually sound really good. It wasn't a drag to play those drums at all with those heads on it.

If your kit is better than the lowest line PDP kit, those heads will sound great for rock.

The Aquarian Hi-Energy is a head that sounds great too, and it can take a beating for a long time. A year at least before it begins to sound like you should start thinking about changing it.
You aren't going to go through it either.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks Karl =) that settles it then, coated Pinstripes and Hi-Energy it is. Thanks for all your help guys