DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 06-14-2010, 01:23 AM

Default roland spd-s as midi controller?

Hey! I really hope I can find an answer somewhere for this, and thanks in advance! I want to begin using an SPD-S sampling pad as a midi controller (to use logic 9's internal sampler and all that good stuff). Is there a tutorial anywhere that anyone knows of that is good at explaining this? i just bought this beast and I would LOVE to use it for this purpose! please tell me its possible!! hahah thanks for any insight!!

jimmy

Check out some rad drum videos! You'll be glad you did!
Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: roland spd-s as midi controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
Hey! I really hope I can find an answer somewhere for this, and thanks in advance! I want to begin using an SPD-S sampling pad as a midi controller (to use logic 9's internal sampler and all that good stuff). Is there a tutorial anywhere that anyone knows of that is good at explaining this? i just bought this beast and I would LOVE to use it for this purpose! please tell me its possible!! hahah thanks for any insight!!

jimmy
Every sample on the Spd-S has a midi note connected to it. So when you hit a pad and the midi send is on, it sends that midi note. And the program should receive it. You can change the notes to.

I use Ableton Live for this purpose with the Yamaha DTXM-12 Multipad.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Default Re: roland spd-s as midi controller?

yeah im pretty sure the midi notes on the spd-s are preassigned, you cant change them, so the tweaking will be done in logic. they are listed in the manual. im not sure about logic, but i know in Live there is a midi learn function where you click on the sample you want to be triggered , then hit the pad on the spd-s that you want to trigger that sample, and it does the work for you. otherwise say pad 1 is set at midi not c1, just go into logic and assign the sound you want triggered to c1. if logic isnt recieving your midi signals by default you may have to go into your preferences and turn external midi reception on. if you want to get more complex you will need something like a dtx-12 or drumkat , which you can use to velocity switch between samples or alternate different midi notes sent each time you hit the same pad.