DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-03-2009, 01:14 AM

Default Cymbal Bag/Case

I want to get a cymbal bag or case that can hold around 8 cymbals. Is there anything under $100 that can get this job done well. All recommendations on a good case will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James
Old 05-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Banned

Default Re: Cymbal Bag/Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephead19 View Post
I want to get a cymbal bag or case that can hold around 8 cymbals. Is there anything under $100 that can get this job done well. All recommendations on a good case will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, James
Unsure what they cost in the States, but I like Protection racket. I have many PR bags and have not had a problem.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Gold Member

Ditto on the Protection Racket cymbal bags. My kid uses the Deluxe model, which goes for around $80 in the US. Holds a lot of cymbals and has a separate pocket for hats and splashes.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:48 PM
"Uncle Larry"

My issue w/cymbal bags is if it's dropped, the edges of all the cymbals absorb the shock of the total combined weight of all the cymbals, that's a lot of shock. I'd recommend a hard plastic cymbal case like Zildjians cymbal safe, $60.00 USD @ Musicians Friend.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Hey thanks guys that bag looks pretty nice. How many cymbals can the main compartment hold?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
My issue w/cymbal bags is if it's dropped, the edges of all the cymbals absorb the shock of the total combined weight of all the cymbals, that's a lot of shock. I'd recommend a hard plastic cymbal case like Zildjians cymbal safe, $60.00 USD @ Musicians Friend.
I have aways used a hard case and I recommend them highly. I've used a Humes & berg Enduro case for the last 12 years. I have cut discs of gasket rubber to go between the cymbals for cushioning. The case could fall out of a car at highway speeds and the cymbals would be unaffected. The only drawback is it takes up space.

I would only recommend a cymbal bag if you are going to keep them with you all the time. Get the cymbals in the back of a car and things could shift and break or stress them.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I have aways used a hard case and I recommend them highly. I've used a Humes & berg Enduro case for the last 12 years. I have cut discs of gasket rubber to go between the cymbals for cushioning. The case could fall out of a car at highway speeds and the cymbals would be unaffected. The only drawback is it takes up space.

I would only recommend a cymbal bag if you are going to keep them with you all the time. Get the cymbals in the back of a car and things could shift and break or stress them.
Ok thanks I didnt realize that a hard case was that much better than a bag. I will definitely check into one
Old 05-04-2009, 04:50 PM

I would recomend a hard case also. I have a zildjian cymbal bag that i use to transport cymbals from one set to another but i'm the only one handling them. When i play out i use a zildjian cymbal safe.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumrunner View Post
I would recomend a hard case also. I have a zildjian cymbal bag that i use to transport cymbals from one set to another but i'm the only one handling them. When i play out i use a zildjian cymbal safe.
Ok thanks I like I am definitely leaning towards getting a hard case. Would you recommend the Zildjian cymbal safe?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 PM

Oh yes, I've had my cymbal safe since 1989 and it is still in great shape after all the road abuse.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ok thanks I like I am definitely leaning towards getting a hard case. Would you recommend the Zildjian cymbal safe?
I would recommend one that has an exterior telescope, instead of interior. Like, there's a bottom piece the cymbals bolt to, then there's the top piece that completely goes over and around the bottom piece. The cymbals are totally encased in a hard-sided vault.

On some models (like Hardcase) the top piece bolts on with the cymbals and fits inside the bottom piece, kind of like another cymbal. In this design, the top piece moves with the cymbals and provides less impact protection.

I've never seen the Zildjian safe so I don't know how it goes together. I know the new Humes and Berg models have built-in wheels and telescoping handles.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Not to mention that cymbals will tend to slice through the bag if dropped.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Thanks everybody. Looks like a hard case is what I will be getting. I just have to decide on one preferably under $100 I know the Zildjian Cymbal Safe is good any other recommendations on a hard case?
Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

You may not like a case, they're bulky, and when loaded they can do damage to other gear, your car, door ways, your shins, feet etc. I would definitely suggest getting your hands on one b/f buying, you might hate it.

I guess its conceivable you could drop your cymbals, more so someone else could drop them. Todays better bags are reinforced at the bottom.

Hands down the best cymbal bags I've ever seen/used. http://www.toughtraveler.com/ttds.asp
Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
You may not like a case, they're bulky, and when loaded they can do damage to other gear, your car, door ways, your shins, feet etc. I would definitely suggest getting your hands on one b/f buying, you might hate it.

I guess its conceivable you could drop your cymbals, more so someone else could drop them. Todays better bags are reinforced at the bottom.

Hands down the best cymbal bags I've ever seen/used. http://www.toughtraveler.com/ttds.asp
Yes, a hard case is much bulkier than a soft case. However, in the scheme of things, a hard cymbal case isn't terribly big or hard to transport. Given how easy it is to damage cymbals, and how heavy and accident-prone they are, springing for a hard cymbal case is a good idea.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, a hard case is much bulkier than a soft case. However, in the scheme of things, a hard cymbal case isn't terribly big or hard to transport. Given how easy it is to damage cymbals, and how heavy and accident-prone they are, springing for a hard cymbal case is a good idea.
Thanks DMC i just have to find one that is a good price and I am definitely going to go with a hard case
Old 05-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Not to mention that cymbals will tend to slice through the bag if dropped.
If you use a case so poorly made that this could happen you deserve your fate. Never seen it in 35+ years of using a bag. The PR bags are superb.

Quote:
Given how easy it is to damage cymbals, and how heavy and accident-prone they are, springing for a hard cymbal case is a good idea.
To each his own, I guess. I'm with Les. I've used good bags forever and never had a problem. If an individual is as "accident-prone" as this they should hire a cartage company.

By the way, Zephead19, the main compartment of the Protection Racket bag has four slots. But if you're willing to double up (just get some felt to put between them) you can fit more. My cymbal setup is minimal, but my kid routinely gigs with a ride, hats, 2 crashes, 2 chinas, and 4 splashes. It all fits nicely, and there's never been damage. Of course, he never packs the vehicle carelessly nor is he so stupid as to drop the bag.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 PM

Thank you everybody for the input. DrumTechDad I do like the size of the bag but it seems expensive for a bag (it will be my second option). At the price I can basically get a top quality hard case like SKB. By the way has anyone had experience with the SKB roto-x cymbal vault?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you everybody for the input. DrumTechDad I do like the size of the bag but it seems expensive for a bag (it will be my second option). At the price I can basically get a top quality hard case like SKB. By the way has anyone had experience with the SKB roto-x cymbal vault?
I have a set of roto-molded Hardcases for my drums, basically the same as SKBs. The plastic powder is injected into the mold, which is then rotated as it melts and then cools. The plastic tends to be a little thicker in the corners, making the cases especially indestructible. Most of the plastic cymbal cases function the same but make sure to avoid the type of closing mechanism I describe above.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Gold Member

Does anyone have any interior photos of any of the cases mentioned?
I don't know what a hard case looks like on the inside XD
Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisaces View Post
Does anyone have any interior photos of any of the cases mentioned?
I don't know what a hard case looks like on the inside XD
Same I am kind of confused there
Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 AM

Honestly please get a hard case the softer one's just dont compare. When your all exhausted after a show(depending on the type of music i guess) you can get a bit clumsy and just knowing that if you totally dropped your cymbal case with them in it they still would be safe is reassuring. were the softer one's leave your edges up to get damaged.Wy drop The better half 0f $1500-$2000(Nz $)And not fork out a bit extra for a hard case. I just learnt this the hard way when the edge of my canadian made vintage Zildjian Hit a curb whilst transporting.(lucky i managed to sand the chip out was'nt to bad).Hard case was brought the next day.SKB's are great as i think the cymbal safe might not be able to hold 8 cymbals? i could be wrong though.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

I have an SKB hardcase, and it fits my 24" K Light Ride. After I put that cymbal in, though, there's only room for about 2-3 more cymbals, depending on their profile. I would be happier if they made their cases a bit deeper so they could hold more cymbals.

Because of this, I use cymbal bags to haul my cymbals around. I have my "sets" in different bags. My 24" ride goes in my Zildjian 24" bag, along with 3 other crashes (19", 18", 16") and some hats. They don't all fit in the SKB case, unfortunately. I take the SKB case out when I'm just transporting just my ride and sticks/brushes, like for jazz and church gigs...

Oh yeah, and for the OP (zephead), the Zildjian bag that's designed to hold 24" cymbals holds a LOT of cymbals and is very sturdy. It has a non-slip bottom, slots (not padded though) to protect the cymbals, a padded shoulder strap, and a huge pocket on the opposite side as the high hat pocket so you can put sticks, notebooks, etc. in it. I have read reviews on it that say it falls apart, but after using mine for about 4 years, I can testify that it's well-made and can handle gigging about 6 times a month without any sign of wear so far...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I have an SKB hardcase, and it fits my 24" K Light Ride. After I put that cymbal in, though, there's only room for about 2-3 more cymbals, depending on their profile. I would be happier if they made their cases a bit deeper so they could hold more cymbals.

Because of this, I use cymbal bags to haul my cymbals around. I have my "sets" in different bags. My 24" ride goes in my Zildjian 24" bag, along with 3 other crashes (19", 18", 16") and some hats. They don't all fit in the SKB case, unfortunately. I take the SKB case out when I'm just transporting just my ride and sticks/brushes, like for jazz and church gigs...

Oh yeah, and for the OP (zephead), the Zildjian bag that's designed to hold 24" cymbals holds a LOT of cymbals and is very sturdy. It has a non-slip bottom, slots (not padded though) to protect the cymbals, a padded shoulder strap, and a huge pocket on the opposite side as the high hat pocket so you can put sticks, notebooks, etc. in it. I have read reviews on it that say it falls apart, but after using mine for about 4 years, I can testify that it's well-made and can handle gigging about 6 times a month without any sign of wear so far...
I'm surprised the SKB doesn't hold more. My Humes & Berg case holds all 8 of my cymbals, including a China and rubber cushioning pads between each cymbal. I think I could squeeze in another cymbal or two if I had to.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:11 AM

You must have the smaller case, SKB do make a bigger one.(the top one)
http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...p?o=&c=97&s=77

I brought my one second hand so its design is alot different to these one's.If you have a china (especially the 2002 non novo china's) its nearly impossible to find a bag that will fit those because of the big butt holder on it.something to consider.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypriss View Post
You must have the smaller case, SKB do make a bigger one.(the top one)
http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...p?o=&c=97&s=77

I brought my one second hand so its design is alot different to these one's.If you have a china (especially the 2002 non novo china's) its nearly impossible to find a bag that will fit those because of the big butt holder on it.something to consider.
I have two Wuhan chinas, 12" and 15", with those "handle" bells, that I carry in a bag with my other cymbals. the 12" goes in the exterior hi-hat pocket with the bell facing out, and the 15 goes in the opposite side, facing the opposite way. No problems whatsoever. I don't even feel the 15's bell when I wear it as a backpack. [It's a Hohner, or HHS when it existed, had it for 6 years now.]
Old 05-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Depending on your other cymbals, you can try sorting by bell size rather than diameter.
I also have a 24" light ride and the bell is smaller than my 22" rides 20"rides and 18" crash.
You can try putting smaller diameter but larger bells in first.

Wayne
Old 05-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
Depending on your other cymbals, you can try sorting by bell size rather than diameter.
I also have a 24" light ride and the bell is smaller than my 22" rides 20"rides and 18" crash.
You can try putting smaller diameter but larger bells in first.

Wayne
I've tried that. The Light Ride, when put in first, takes up the vertical space from where its bell rests all the way up to where the lid closes near the edges. If I put it in as the second cymbal, I can't close the lid. Its profile is pretty flat, too. Other cymbals that I put in either before or after it have a higher profile to diameter ratio, and usually bigger bells, so they instantly take up the rest of the space.

Like I said, I wish they made their case a little deeper...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 PM

If you have more that 5 cymbals you better get a hard case. So many types and models offered in the market like tuffbox case (www.tuffbox.com) which is less expensive $40 it made with 1/4 plywood my tought it is better that any polyethene (plastic mold) case but hold less than 8 pcs (4" deep). I got my Sabian ATA flight case (for paragon series) 24" x 24" x 10" used on ebay for $86 + $15 shipping (it is worth) the new case cost about $250, it hold up to 12 cymbals. My suggestion please check craiglist or ebay for less expensive hardcase or ATA case.

www.temporarycitizens.com
Old 06-15-2010, 02:56 AM

Quote:
I'm surprised the SKB doesn't hold more. My Humes & Berg case holds all 8 of my cymbals, including a China and rubber cushioning pads between each cymbal. I think I could squeeze in another cymbal or two if I had to.
did you put cymbal separator.divider in between ?, as far as i know cymbal case in the market like SKB or zildjian cymbal safe doesn't hold more that 7 cymbal (thats maximum) if more than that you can even close or tight down the wing nut properly.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

I don't know if this will help for other hardcases, but I use the Zildjian hardcase and just put a cut cymbal bag between each cymbal.
The plastic bag you usually get when you buy a new cymbal... One bag gets you 2 'protectors'. Just slit the bag along the seams and you have free cymbal protectors that don't take up any space.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:02 AM

Hey Zephead19,

I see that you're located in Western New York, and I'm assuming you mean the state and not the city. If that's correct, go to Buffalo Drum Outlet (despite the name it's actually located in Depew, NY). It's a fantastic store and a Five Star Drum Shop to boot. Paul the owner is an awesome guy and he'll give you the skinny on any piece of gear you want.

I used to go there all the time back when I lived in Buffalo and I still occasionally call and order stuff through them that Paul ships up to me in Canada.

If you live anywhere remotely close then do yourself a favor and check it out!

That being said, I have a Zildjian Cymbal Safe as well as three soft bags (2 Ritter's and a Sabian). I find the bags can hold more cymbals than the hard case and I use carpet underpadding to put between the cymbals when I use the bags. If I use the hard case, I put thin cymbal felts between each cymbal. I prefer using the bags because they're a lot quicker and easier to load/unload and I've fortunately never had an issue with damaging my cymbals. I am very careful though and I don't let anyone pack/unpack or load/unload my cymbals when transporting them. The hardcase obviously provides more protection, but both soft cases and hard cases can allow damage in different ways. With soft cases, the edges are more prone to damage and they are also vulnerable if something were to fall on top of the case. With hard cases, the edges are safe and they are well protected if something falls on them, but the cymbals are loaded in by mounting them onto a metal post which leaves the center-hole of cymbals vulnerable should the case fall over, get dropped, etc. Just something to keep in mind. Too bad they don't make hard cases that have a padded/soft center-post that's durable enough to not get cut by the cymbal.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 PM

Can a hardcase not damage your cymbals if dropped too? I mean I don't use one and haven't even really seem the one mentioned but my dad has got an old one and there is a metal piece that goes through the holes of the cymabls and it seems like it could do damage to the bells if dropped. Just wondering if this is the case?
Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_benway91 View Post
Can a hardcase not damage your cymbals if dropped too? I mean I don't use one and haven't even really seem the one mentioned but my dad has got an old one and there is a metal piece that goes through the holes of the cymabls and it seems like it could do damage to the bells if dropped. Just wondering if this is the case?
From my previous post...

Quote:
With hard cases, the cymbals are loaded in by mounting them onto a metal post which leaves the center-hole of cymbals vulnerable should the case fall over, get dropped, etc.
So to answer your question, yes, this is the case.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

I've been using a Zildjian cymbal safe for about the last 13 years and recently picked up a cymbal bag. Man, way easier to deal with - just a quick unzip and unfettered access to all my cymbals without having to take out everything just to get to my ride (if that's all I want). To me that's huge. I'm really sick of screwing together hardcases and having to put cymbals in there in a certain order.

Sure the extra protection afforded by a hardcase is nice (and required if you're flying), but I've always handled it very gingerly anyway, so a softcase is as effective and just easier to use.

Of course, I'm the ruler of my cymbals. I'm careful to always be the person schlepping them around for gigs.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I have a Humes-berg tuxedo soft bag,holds 8 cymbals,I like being able to scoop up all my soft cases and throw them in my hardware tub.Love the bags.no issues ever.........