DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-14-2010, 03:53 AM

Default dw Classics Series

Has anyone heard/played a set of these? I'm intrigued as to the sound of the poplar/mahogany wood combination. I had a 69 Ludwig set that...well let's not get into that- ...it's gone now.... Anyway it was made of similar wood combo and just curious if any opinions out there as to dw's version- Thanks-
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Default Re: dw Classics Series

I played one in a drumshop. They sounded really good. They were , 12tt, 14ft, 16ft ,22bd ,14sd in white marine pearl. They had $8500. on them. Good drums but not that good. For that sort of money you could get a pearl reference which are far better drums than the DW classics.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:30 PM
audiotech

I've played DW drums many times, the Collectors, Eco and the Jazz series, I never played their Classic series. I was under the impression that the shells were all made from maple, but I could be wrong. DW drums sound very good, but there are better sounding drums to my ears. When I bought two of my last three kits, DW drums were in the running, but lost out. Here in the states DW prices are much more realistic, I guess it all depends on the economy in other parts of the world. The Five Star drum shop in my area has a new DW 6 piece Collectors kit for about $3700 USD.and a 5 piece Jazz kit in Exotic wood shells for about $4100, among many others. There is a lot of hype and marketing going into the DW name. You should always buy with your ears.

Dennis
Old 04-14-2010, 05:33 PM

If you watch the Rock and Roll Hall of fame concert, you will see Max Weinberg playing a DW Classics 4. pc kit. I know that may not be the best way to judge a set.... always go and audition any set of interest. I am not a DW protagonist (there very well could be one in my future). I do understand that they are a bit more soft-spoken than the DW maples. I've heard mixed reviews about the value of the Pearl Reference Series, as well. I understand that they are Chinese made shells with some sort of microwave pressure gluing process on the plies of the shells.... ?????? It kind of makes me think of the Yamaha Phoenix hybrid shells.... which I would probably be more likely to consider for that kind of money. It is subjective and comes down to taste, ego and sometimes product loyalty.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:39 AM

I wonder how the dw classics compare (soundwise) to Ludwig Legacy, given the shell composition.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

...I bought a Classic kit last September.

I had been drooling over it for almost two years before pulling the trigger on the deal. The shell pack consisted of a 22x14, 12x8, 14x14, 16x16, and 14x5" snare in the vintage marine pearl finish. I do not know how these drums would stack up sound wise to the vintage, or new classic Ludwigs, but compared to my collectors kit (24x16, 13x9, 16x16, 14x6) these drums have all the warmth, and BOOM, with much stronger projection. I swapped the snare with a 13x5.5" Craviotto, which to my ears gives me a tighter more cohesive overall sound.

Here they are in the 22, 14, 12 combo. I had tried a few different head combos, but find the stock coated ambo top and bottom to give me the best sound. Two ply heads just turn these into cardboard.

As far as cost goes, these drums had sat in the shop for a couple of years, so I was able to work out a very favorable deal, which incidently was less than what it would have cost me for a similar Star Classic, or Pearl Refference kit.

I also ordered a 24x14" bass and a 13x9" rack tom to complete a second kit. These drums were priced the same as the collectors with the specialty lacquer finish.

Barry
Old 06-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

What is weird is that right after Keller introduced these, dw all of a sudden popped out of the woodwork with another amazing, original idea.

http://www.kelleratthecore.com/vintage_mahogany.html
Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbaker View Post
I've heard mixed reviews about the value of the Pearl Reference Series, as well. I understand that they are Chinese made shells with some sort of microwave pressure gluing process on the plies of the shells.... ??????.
Chinese... microwave???

Pearl SST

"Pearl’s Superior Shell Technology utilizes a proprietary technique for achieving the ultimate air chamber. It begins with select woods chosen for their unique acoustic attributes, milled to precise thickness with overlapping scarf joint seams, for a perfect air-tight fit. The wood plies are saturated with Pearl’s proprietary “AcoustiGlue” that permeates every pore and dries to the exact consistency of the wood for optimum resonance. Finally, the plies are formed in high-temperature molds with 1000 PSI of hydraulic pressure to produce perfect drum shells that exhibit superior tone, optimal resonance and extreme strength."
Old 06-14-2010, 02:19 AM

My understanding from a couple friends who own them as a heavy-use replacement for their vintage gear is that they're more Slingerland than Ludwig.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:18 PM

Artstar... I had an interest in the Reference at one time, and was told by a seller/dealer on the west coast, that they were Chinese made shells and that they used some sort of high temperature pressurized gluing process, which made the glue molten between the plies. I could've misunderstood the description. My interest waned once I got a price. I've since got a set of DW Classics and I love them. They are a 4 piece with a 24" bass, 12" suspended and 16" floor in broken glass. They are with a matching broken glass Edge snare. I wish I could post a picture but my files are too large and I am not sure how to reduce them for the forum. I thought maybe I could email or pm someone with a pic, and they could post for me.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

Reference and Masterworks are made in Taiwan, I think.
I have not heard the Jazz Series DW's yet, but I know a few people who I consider "anti-DW" that love the Jazz Series sound compared to the Collector's.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 06-15-2010, 05:45 PM

It may have been Taiwan.... once I'd gotten the price, my thinking could've been warped by the shock. I did consider the Jazz Series, but I live near Dallas and was not finding either the Jazz or the Classics series to demo. I did see the RR hall of fame concert and thought the Classics would be worth looking into. At the time I had two vintage kits... a Gretsch and a Rogers. I found a used (just like new) Classics kit in Austin and made the trip to play them. I would not return without them. They do seem to have the warmth of the Slingerland RK era kits but the shells have a Gretsch-esque resonant quality. I've heard some poorly tuned Collectors Series kits and was unimpressed at times. Conversely, I've heard some of them sound great. I guess the Classics are more to my liking. I sold my Gretsch kit to Chris Hesse with Hoobastank and bought the Classics. They will be in my will.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...I bought a Classic kit last September.

I had been drooling over it for almost two years before pulling the trigger on the deal. The shell pack consisted of a 22x14, 12x8, 14x14, 16x16, and 14x5" snare in the vintage marine pearl finish. I do not know how these drums would stack up sound wise to the vintage, or new classic Ludwigs, but compared to my collectors kit (24x16, 13x9, 16x16, 14x6) these drums have all the warmth, and BOOM, with much stronger projection. I swapped the snare with a 13x5.5" Craviotto, which to my ears gives me a tighter more cohesive overall sound.

Here they are in the 22, 14, 12 combo. I had tried a few different head combos, but find the stock coated ambo top and bottom to give me the best sound. Two ply heads just turn these into cardboard.

As far as cost goes, these drums had sat in the shop for a couple of years, so I was able to work out a very favorable deal, which incidently was less than what it would have cost me for a similar Star Classic, or Pearl Refference kit.

I also ordered a 24x14" bass and a 13x9" rack tom to complete a second kit. These drums were priced the same as the collectors with the specialty lacquer finish.

Barry
i have your kit so many times on this forum!

looks classy!

<3

Elliot
Old 06-16-2010, 11:37 PM

I wish I could post a picture of my Classics kit but the forum says that my files are too big when I try to attach them. If someone could allow me to email them to their email and post them... it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusto 62 View Post
I played one in a drumshop. They sounded really good. They were , 12tt, 14ft, 16ft ,22bd ,14sd in white marine pearl. They had $8500. on them. Good drums but not that good. For that sort of money you could get a pearl reference which are far better drums than the DW classics.
That sounds like list/retail. Was it?
Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 AM

If you shop... you can purchase that kit in that configuration in the closer to $4K range. Maybe a little over.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
I wonder how the dw classics compare (soundwise) to Ludwig Legacy, given the shell composition.
I own a Legacy Classic and I have played a DW Classics series kit many times at my local drum shop and to me they both sound great.The Legacy Classic is louder volume wise and has more attack than the DW Classics. The DW Classics are very fat round sounding drums.They sound great, but I prefer the sound of the Legacy Classics.The Legacy Classics have a bit more sharpness to the stick attack .
Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
Reference and Masterworks are made in Taiwan, I think.
I have not heard the Jazz Series DW's yet, but I know a few people who I consider "anti-DW" that love the Jazz Series sound compared to the Collector's.
I own a set of Jazz Series - 12-14-18-22 & 6.5x14.

It's my favorite kit. Definitely has the Gretsch thing happening, great, full sound, warm in all the right places. Super responsive on tuning, GREAT bass drum, the snare is nuts. Sounds amazing under mics.

Quite different from the Classics to be sure.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 PM

Chonson... I looked throughout the Dallas area for both the Classic Series and Jazz Series and could not find either to demo. I would have liked to have played the Jazz Series. I've heard very positive reviews. I had a Gretsch stop sign badge kit for 16 years and found them to be a little different from the earlier Gretsch (round badge) drums. Loved them just the same. They are what I sacrificed to get my Classic Series DW's. The Classics are often compared to the Slingerlands but I see trade-offs. They are fat and warm but just more resonant. They seem to project a little more than I expected. I've not had a chance to mic them yet. I have a feeling I would have liked the Jazz Series, as well. They just aren't out there to be heard. I don't know why music stores don't have either of these series on their floors. I am sure there are people who don't go for the Collectors but would find something in both of those series.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

...my drums came in.

24x14, 16x16, 13x9, 14x5.5" snare. I am just tinkering, puttering, and dialing them in. So far, I am very impressed. These drums are warm, and boomy, like my collectors, but there is a noticible increase in the projection, and volume.

I am using an Aquarian SKI batter, Fibreskyn res on the bass, vintage emp/renaisance res on the snare, and vintage A coated top and bottom on the toms.

I can't wait to give these a really good test drive.

Barry
Old 06-20-2010, 12:29 AM

Hey, Barry.... that sounds just like my evaluation of these drums. My set is just like yours but in broken glass with a matching Edge snare. I played them with some friends this afternoon for the first time. They were stunned as was I. I wish I could post pictures but the file size is a problem... I will figure it out this weekend and post pics. Congrats... I really think you have truly outdone yourself. I like the pearl... killer set.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey, Barry.... that sounds just like my evaluation of these drums. My set is just like yours but in broken glass with a matching Edge snare. I played them with some friends this afternoon for the first time. They were stunned as was I. I wish I could post pictures but the file size is a problem... I will figure it out this weekend and post pics. Congrats... I really think you have truly outdone yourself. I like the pearl... killer set.
...Thank you GW.

I don't jam untill Monday, but I will be giving these a good test drive until then.

Barry
Old 06-20-2010, 03:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotMOOSEdrummer View Post
i have your kit so many times on this forum!

looks classy!

<3

Elliot
...Thank you Eliot.

I would think that everyone would be sick of my drum pics by now. For all of the pics that I have ever posted, my drum set never changes. No matter the finish, or sizes, all of my kits are the same.

Barry
Old 06-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Gold Member

Hey Barry,
I love, love, love the new sizes of your drums. 14x24 bass drums are just magical. I have myself returned to the classic sizes of drums, and am loving it. Congrats on that BEAUTIFUL kit!

Greg

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 06-20-2010, 07:19 PM

Here is a couple of pics of my new Classic Series set. I used it in a jam yesterday to some rave reviews. Very pleased with the sound of this kit
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Hey Barry,
I love, love, love the new sizes of your drums. 14x24 bass drums are just magical. I have myself returned to the classic sizes of drums, and am loving it. Congrats on that BEAUTIFUL kit!
Greg
...Thank you Greg.

As much as I love my collectors, these classics have a lot more beef, and they like to be hit hard.

I never thought that I would ever get this kind of warmth with the projection and volume that I get with these. When I chose my collectors kit, it was that warm near field boominess that I was looking for. The 22, 14, 12 classics have a great tuning range, and sound equally good tuned bright and poppy, or warm and boomy.This 24, 16great tuned thunder storm low. These drums are monsters.

Barry
Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 PM
baz
This message has been deleted by baz. Reason: duplicate post.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Here is a couple of pics of my new Classic Series set. I used it in a jam yesterday to some rave reviews. Very pleased with the sound of this kit
...WoW.

What a great looking kit. Are you as pleased with your sound as I am with mine? What heads and tuning are you currently playing with?

Once again, great looking kit.

Barry
Old 06-21-2010, 02:48 AM

Barry... I am blown away. These things are killers!!!! I am using coated Ambassadors on the toms and Weatherking controlled sound on the Edge snare. I got them from a drum tech out of Austin and I haven't tuned them at all since I've got. I have just.... played them for a while... sit in awe..... then play them for a while... and sit in awe...
Old 06-21-2010, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Barry... I am blown away. These things are killers!!!! I am using coated Ambassadors on the toms and Weatherking controlled sound on the Edge snare. I got them from a drum tech out of Austin and I haven't tuned them at all since I've got. I have just.... played them for a while... sit in awe..... then play them for a while... and sit in awe...
...I know exactly what you mean.

I can't wait to jam on Monday night. In the meantime, i am still tweaking these. I swapped the bass res head for the stock ambo with a 4" hole. When I play these I feel like I am the god of thunder.

Barry

Last edited by baz; 06-21-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM

Barry... I really like the set up with the kits facing like that. I've got three kits (not DW's) and they are all over my rehearsal space. I am going to start a thread with pics of the three kits. It is funny, there is a guy with a four piece Collectors in broken glass for sale that would match my Classics. He is in Houston and it crossed my mind to give him a call. That call could end in a broken marriage.... and I don't mean his. The Classics definitely move some air.... I was very surprised.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Chonson... I looked throughout the Dallas area for both the Classic Series and Jazz Series and could not find either to demo.
That's because they're available on a special-order-only basis. Well, so are the Collector's Series, but those kits are more of a safe bet for music stores to stock. If I had a drum shop and unlimited funds and space, I'd stock one of each: Collector's, Classic, and Jazz series drums so customers (and myself) COULD try them side-by-side...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-03-2010, 05:09 PM

Caddywumpus... when I checked with online DW dealers, they were wanting a bit more for the Jazz and Classic Series. I think price point could be a consideration for the likes of Guitar Center (the only place that I checked). I would really like to hear a Jazz Series kit. I've been a Gretsch fan, and I understand that it was the market that DW was pandering too. DW scored with the Classic Series in terms of effect... they sound great! I don't know if they will get the return that they hope for, with such limited access to the product... Classic and Jazz.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't know if they will get the return that they hope for, with such limited access to the product... Classic and Jazz.
That's the burn of people not stocking them. People want to hear them so they can find out if they want to buy them or not. I, for one, won't buy something unless I get to play it myself--marketing and online sound clips/pictures/videos just don't do it for me.

It seems to be more of a "you'll just have to take our word for it" kind of thing, or maybe they didn't anticipate the stores not stocking them, or.....???

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Caddywumpus... when I checked with online DW dealers, they were wanting a bit more for the Jazz and Classic Series. I think price point could be a consideration for the likes of Guitar Center (the only place that I checked). I would really like to hear a Jazz Series kit. I've been a Gretsch fan, and I understand that it was the market that DW was pandering too. DW scored with the Classic Series in terms of effect... they sound great! I don't know if they will get the return that they hope for, with such limited access to the product... Classic and Jazz.
I've started to see Classic kits popping up at Guitar Centers - and at incredibly good prices. I almost caved on a beautiful natural mahogany 24-12-16 kit a couple weeks ago. I would expect to see these a little more in the months ahead.

The Jazz series - oh boy. This line will probably always have a tough time getting traction in stores just because of the name they've got - it's always going to be a tough sell at the big shops, and the smaller stores are usually just going to have a collector's kit or two.

I've been fortunate to check them out in LA, a bunch of the indie stores have had kits at various times. I'd never expect to see one at a GC/Sam Ash/etc though. Maybe better luck at a 5 star store? For that matter, the USA Customs aren't exactly heavily stocked.

It's strange with such a complete and total retro craze these days in all areas of the biz that these handful of deliberate throwbacks are so insanely difficult to find. They (Legacies, USAC's, Jazz & Classic, etc etc) are so incredible compared to everything else out there today.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:12 PM

I agree. I've got a vintage Rogers kit that I love but I just can't stay off of this Classic Series kit. It is like a siren's song.... I go down out of my studio to do some things around the house and I find myself gravitating right back up the stares. I was lucky. I found mine used in Austin. It is, for all intents and purposes, a new set. I drove from just south of Dallas into south Austin. I knew before I even sat behind the kit that it was a done deal. The drummer that I purchased it from was playing it and it was just jaw dropping. One of the best sounding kits I've ever heard. It now has me wondering about the Jazz Series....
Old 07-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

From what it sounds like,and what they look like,D.W. got it right on the Classics.A while back a fellow on cymbalholic posted a review of his Jazz series kit,he did the review after he had owned them about three months,and he also owned a vintage set of gretsch that he compared them with.He said he had never been a D.W. guy but his conclusion was that although there were differences that D.W. got it right with the jazz series,they were articulate, warm,and had no problem tuning to Be Bop territory,I had heard that collectors series didn't really shine in that area,but he said the jazz series is ready to go toe to toe with any kit Jazz wise.