DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Default any reasons why not to go with these heads?

New guy here with little experience so keep that in mind. Got a Sonor 3007 5 peice about 5 months ago and it's time to try and get some new sound and replace the stock heads. Been following the threads about heads and as best as one can do without any real experience with heads is to follow opinions etc. Of course I can't tune worth a damn but have managed to get the stockers to sound ok (except for that second tom for some reason?).

So after devouring the threads for months I've decided to take a chance on this setup I've listed below. I know that this is probably like a "which cymbal sounds best" type of question and only experience and personal taste really matters so I'll try and put the question a little different.

My interests are mainly blues/some classic rock and I seem to appreciate and lean towards a jazz tone when it comes to drum/cymbal tones.

Question: Is there any reason/opinions to NOT go with what I've decided on listed below? Am I on the right track in your opinion? Any opinions/suggestions appreciated before I take the final plunge on these. Thanks guys/ladies......

SD- coated G1 over Hazy 300
1st Tom- coated G1 over G+ clear
2nd Tom- coated G1 over G+ clear
Floor Tom- stock Remo over G2 clear
Old 06-09-2010, 07:40 PM

Default Re: any reasons why not to go with these heads?

I would not recommend using the G+ heads as a resonant. They are 12mil thick which is more than the G1 heads you would be using on the top. Therefore the sound might be a little choked.

The best choise would be using the G1 heads on the top AND bottom of your toms. The G1 heads will give you a longer sustian. Also, you shoulduse a G1 on the floot tom as well
Old 06-09-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketman View Post
I would not recommend using the G+ heads as a resonant. They are 12mil thick which is more than the G1 heads you would be using on the top. Therefore the sound might be a little choked.

The best choise would be using the G1 heads on the top AND bottom of your toms. The G1 heads will give you a longer sustian. Also, you shoulduse a G1 on the floot tom as well
I don't agree. The G plus will have more mass and therefore sustain longer provided you are hitting hard enough to get them moving.

I don't think I would use a G2 on the reso of the floor but its not unheard of. What is the stock head for the floor?
Old 06-09-2010, 08:33 PM
audiotech

I'm not familiar with Evans G+ heads at all. What I like to use is a 10 mil single ply head for the resonant heads of the toms. The two I'm most acquainted with are the Evans G1 clear and Remo Ambassador clear. I find that using a thinner ply head such as a 7 mil, gives my drums a slightly more brilliant sound than does the heavier 10 mil. For your snare the G1 coated will do fine, but if you need just a slight more control, I would also recommend the Evans Power Center Reverse Dot head. I use it on most of my snares and works well for just about any genre of music I play (I don't play metal, but it would probably be great for that also). If you want a slightly focused yet resonant tone with good sustain, the Evans G1 coated heads would work out well. I also like the Evans G2 clear and G2 coated batter heads depending on what music I'm playing. If you're getting new heads, don't stop at your floor tom. Get new batter heads for it along with a single ply resonant head.

These are what I mainly use, but as you probably already know, there are dozens of different combinations. Rock to jazz is a pretty broad range of music. The above heads and more so correct tuning will make your drums sing. Going to EC2 or Hydraulic heads will quickly retard much of the resonance and sustain in drums.

Dennis
Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

G+ heads as reso heads are a fantastic choice....theres a whole thread on the physics of the thick (12 mil) heads as reso. I tried it on my SQ2 set and I'll never go back to thin reso's again.

F
Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I'm familiar w/ the G Plus heads. Awhile ago I made a thread recommending them. I didn't like them as batters, the attack wasn't crisp enough for me, but as resonants I thought they rocked. I have since changed my opinion, as a result of what else, recording and listening. They did give me more sustain, and from the kit I thought they were an improvement. But after hearing recordings, there was something about the overall tom sound from a distance that bothered me. It's hard to describe, the only way to describe it is the G Pluses made the drum reproduce a slightly different set of frequencies, a little more wonky than I like. So I'm back to clear G1's over clear G1's. I don't know why I even experiment anymore, I've known I prefered the single ply clear 10 mil sound top and bottom for years now.

I always wished they would make a single ply 12 mil head and now that they do, it made me realize that the 10 mil is the perfect thickness for the attack I like.

You have to decide yourself if you like them.
I'll send you my old ones if you want.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:38 AM

Larry.... It was your thread about the G+ that kinda got me started on the G+ as reso. Sounded like most that tried it liked it.

I'm going to go with the coated G1's on top for sure and try that. If a coated G1 over a clear G1 is a good all around setup I'll try that first and see how I like it....might be a good place to start the learning process? I've managed to get a pretty good sound I like from the snare with stock heads (Remo UT's) but I'm sure there's room for improvement so I'll stick with the coated G1/Hazy 300 on snare to start......

Thanks for the replies guys.....I appreciate it much!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:44 AM
Gold Member

I'm interested to know what sizes your toms are, because that makes a difference when I'm picking out tom tom heads.

In general I think G1 over G1 is a great combo for toms, and I've also had really good luck with Coated G2's over G1's as well, which gives me a fatter sound, especially on the floor toms.

I just set up a kit with G-Plus heads top and bottom and I really like the sound and I know the G-Plus makes a great reso head. I think as far as one ply heads are concerned it makes a lot of sense to use matching heads top and bottom. What I liked about the G-Plus set up was how the matching heads contributed to a very warm and unified tone on each drum.