DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Big_Philly

Default Paiste cymbal protector

I couldn't find much (if anything) on this subject, but if I missed a thread or some posts on this stuff please link me to it...

My ride cymbal, a paiste sound formula, really picks up stick marks very fast, faster than any other of my cymbals. There's also some strange discoloration going on. I can easily clean it using Paiste's cymbal cleaner but the marks and the discoloration comes right back. It's a wonderful cymbal that I don't want to lose to corrosion so I am thinking about using Paiste cymbal protector. Does anyone have experience with this stuff? Does it do what the name implies? And how long for the stuff to wear off?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Big_Philly

Default Re: Paiste cymbal protector

Bump. Anyone have experience with this stuff?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 PM

When you stay marks, do you just mean stick marks? They will always come back no matter how amazing the cleaner is (from my experience).

How quickly do the marks and the discolouration come right back?
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM

I've been interested in this product too. My crash cymbal has turned an almost completely orange color and I think that somePaiste cymbal protector will solve this dillema.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Insane View Post
I've been interested in this product too. My crash cymbal has turned an almost completely orange color and I think that somePaiste cymbal protector will solve this dillema.
Its the fake tan again... :P

I've got Paiste cymbals and no such problems yet. Could it a reaction of the metal to oxygen similar to rust (steel reaction with oxygen)?
Old 04-18-2008, 06:26 PM
Big_Philly

I'm afraid it might be. The stick marks aren't the main issue, the other discolorations are. Though the stick marks do show up really easily, not nearly as quick as on my other reflector cymbals.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
I'm afraid it might be. The stick marks aren't the main issue, the other discolorations are. Though the stick marks do show up really easily, not nearly as quick as on my other reflector cymbals.
Are they turning green? I have a set of sound formulas and they are a little green around the edges is some spots.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Platinum Member

Over at the paiste-only forums (I'm fiveohfive on there) they say http://paiste-only.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2381 The stuff works. I haven't had the chance to try it on my cymbals. I'm not sure how much of the factory applied coating is left on my cymbals because I bought both of them used. I probably will sometime in the future, though.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:27 PM

I highly recommend Paiste cleaner and protector.

I have Paistes from last year back to 1981,and it does a terrific job on all of them.

(the Protector smells delicious, too)

NEVER USE GROOVE JUICE or NEVR DULL ON PAISTES!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranjluv101 View Post
I highly recommend Paiste cleaner and protector.

I have Paistes from last year back to 1981,and it does a terrific job on all of them.

(the Protector smells delicious, too)

NEVER USE GROOVE JUICE or NEVR DULL ON PAISTES!!!

Ditto....it's all I use on my Paiste Sig's. Works perfectly.

...and it does smell good.....like some kind of orangey-citrus. Makes cymbal cleaning a little more bearable when you're not being knocked out by noxious fumes....
Old 05-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Pioneer Member

I had the same thing happen. After cleaning the cymbal the orange streaks would come back. I started using the protector and that solved the problem. Right after cleaning the cymbal, apply the protector to form a light film. I usually place the cymbal back on a stand and let it dry.

Paiste cymbals are coated from the factory. Cleaning can remove some of the coating and then the cymbal starts to oxidize. That's what causes the orange spots.

HTH
Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 AM

I messed up my 502 top hihat cymbal. It was turning brown and also had some green and black spots on it so I decided instead of soap and water for another "solution". I saw that when sweat drops on a cymbal, it turns clean on that spot. So I mixed lemon, salt, a bit of kitchen oil and water and started cleaning. It was my intention to simulate sweat :D So I did clean it. And also removed the shine from the cymbal. Now it looks like pure copper. Would Paiste protector solve this problem and give back the shine and protection from atmospheric influences to my cymbal?
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 AM

Well DangerousDave, I would suggest using the cymbal cleaner and then protector. It is great on cymbals. The teacher at my school bought some and it worked great. He let me use it at home on my hi-hats and it removed all oxidation. The protector is for use after cleaning to preserve the cymbal. I also used the cleaner on my Zildjian A ride and it removed everything as well. If you don't want to buy the cleaner though, you can use bar keepers friend and water. Mix it into a paste and clean the cymbals. It's a littler grittier than the Paiste cleaner but it works just as well. You can get it at any grocery store.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gethsemane View Post
Well DangerousDave, I would suggest using the cymbal cleaner and then protector. It is great on cymbals. The teacher at my school bought some and it worked great. He let me use it at home on my hi-hats and it removed all oxidation. The protector is for use after cleaning to preserve the cymbal. I also used the cleaner on my Zildjian A ride and it removed everything as well. If you don't want to buy the cleaner though, you can use bar keepers friend and water. Mix it into a paste and clean the cymbals. It's a littler grittier than the Paiste cleaner but it works just as well. You can get it at any grocery store.
Thanks for advice. The cymbal is clean. The only thing that concerns me is oxidation. If I put the protector now, will my cymbal be protected?
Old 06-11-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousDave View Post
Thanks for advice. The cymbal is clean. The only thing that concerns me is oxidation. If I put the protector now, will my cymbal be protected?
It should be. As long as the cymbal is clean, the protector will do it's job.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gethsemane View Post
It should be. As long as the cymbal is clean, the protector will do it's job.
Thank you very much :) Now I have to get that little thing and put it on my cymbal.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:31 AM

Hey, another question. Last week I got my sweat on my PST5 and Rude crashes. The PST5 has a few darker spots and two green ones, but the Rude had a larger amount of sweat on and it was green. So I washed it with soap and water and now there is a lighter color (you all know the Rudes are brown). Also, on the places where the green stuff was let's say "more into the metal", when I removed it the brown color was totally gone and looks like my newly cleaned hihat. It's only a few spots but then again... If I put the Protector on these areas that are damaged, will the look different than the rest of the cymbal? Should I apply it on the whole cymbal and will that affect on the factory protection coating? What should I do?

Thanks