DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM

Default How to mount cymbals on a rack?

I want to get a rack from my drum set, most likely a tama power tower, I know about the j24 clamps, but then do I just take then boom from a stand and put it on from there or what? Also I want to know how I see people with 16 and 18 inch floor toms on the rack system, how do they do that also?
Old 06-06-2010, 05:07 AM

Default Re: How to mount cymbals on a rack?

I think Tama offers boom arms as a separate sale. You just buy as many as you need, slide them into the clamps, and adjust as needed. You could also pull the top section from your cymbal stands.

I wouldn't recommend mounting the 16 and 18 floor toms. I suppose you could do it if you picked up some RIMS-style mounts in the right diameter and lug spacing, but that is an awful lot of stress on the rims/lugs of your drum. I think Pearl also offers some mounts, but I don't know if they make a diameter large enough for your floor toms.
Vic Firth Sticks
Evans Drumheads
Old 06-06-2010, 06:43 AM

I would say if it has legs, keep it on the legs. Pearl does offer Optimounts for 16x16 but thats really pushing the limits. And it does put strain on everything and might hinder sound in some way.

And as for mounting cymbals, most, if not all companies will just sell the boom arm by itself for people who have racks.
Vic Firth Steve Jordan Signature Sticks
Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

i've seen people mount floor toms by turning them upside down and using the leg mounts with l-rods, don't know what effect it would have on the drum......
Old 06-07-2010, 04:03 AM

I've checked all over the place, and I can't find seperate booms.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningstardrummer View Post
try searching for "cymbal arm". i know musicians friend, interstate music, music 123, sam ash, zzsounds, sweetwater, guitar center and just about every other music store out there have dozens to choose from......
Old 06-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgolfer View Post
I wouldn't recommend mounting the 16 and 18 floor toms. I suppose you could do it if you picked up some RIMS-style mounts in the right diameter and lug spacing, but that is an awful lot of stress on the rims/lugs of your drum. I think Pearl also offers some mounts, but I don't know if they make a diameter large enough for your floor toms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFo View Post
I would say if it has legs, keep it on the legs. Pearl does offer Optimounts for 16x16 but thats really pushing the limits. And it does put strain on everything and might hinder sound in some way.
There is no problem mounting large floor toms to a rack, providing you do it right. Most drummers are too cheap to spend the money to do it right and then complain when it doesn't work like they want it to. Use 2 clamps for each floor tom. Use memory locks on each clamp, including where the piper connects to the upright. Try to mount the toms as close to the bar as possible.

Think of it this way. Hold a floor tom up with your arm straight out. Can't hold it very long, can you? Now , hold the same drum at the same height but real close to your body. This is the same effect your drum has on the rack and its components. A little common sense goes a long way when it comes to mounting stuff to a rack.

You can mount the floors upside down using the leg brackets with no ill effects. The leg brackets are essentially just tom mounts with a leg in them instead of an 'L' rod.

I have 13, 15, 16 & 18 floors mounted to my round rack with no memory locks and they haven't moved in over 16 years. I can even stand on them without worry.

There is a review of round tube racks and and Pearl's square one over on the Pearl drum forum in the hardware section by a guy who has teched for some big names. I would advise reading it.

My rack with the 16 & 18 visible:

Old 06-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningstardrummer View Post
I did a search for "cymbal boom" on Music123.com, and got tons of hits. For example:

http://www.music123.com/PDP-CB934-Pa...37499.Music123
http://www.music123.com/PDP-CB934-Pa...37499.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Sound-Percus...13616.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Mapex-B75-Re...41347.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-Boom-...21812.Music123
http://www.music123.com/Taye-Drums-B...38872.Music123

...and so on.

Personally, I swear by Gibraltar hardware, both when it comes to racks and normal stands. They have the largest selection of options, are very nicely priced and the quality is top notch.