DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 AM

Default Removing Head Logos

Do any of you guys know how to do this?

I have tried acetone nail polish remover and isopropyl alcohol. One or the other began to eat through the coating on the head, so I stopped trying. It looked like it was working, but when it began to eat the coating I decided I'd rather have logos than removed coating. Any success stories?
Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Removing Head Logos

I've only removed logos from non-coated heads, quite successfully with nail polish remover. I don't know about coated heads, but I'll be interested to find out what works...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 05-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Administrator

On a white smooth head I used lighter fluid. Not sure how that would have worked on a white coated head.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

do you mean bass drum reso?

if so i cant help but itf you mean the brand logo on a batter head i took off my remo logos accidentally using duct tape

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 06-02-2010, 06:04 PM

What has worked for me is "solvent" or a strong adhesive remover. I do vinyl graphics/window tinting and have done tons of drum heads for friends of mine as well as my own, and that always seems to work to get all the paint and what not off the reso side of a head. I have never done a coated head before, so that could be a little different, but if you have like a standard factory Pearl head or something that you want to get the logo off, that's what Id suggest.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

why would you wanna remove the logo on a batter head? i can see the bass reso if you want to put graphics on it or something.....
Old 06-03-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrae1l View Post
why would you wanna remove the logo on a batter head? i can see the bass reso if you want to put graphics on it or something.....
Believe it or not...one of my drumming buddies refuses to sport any logos or brand names on his setup. He has removed all the badges, stencils off the cymbals, and even uses heads that either he can remove the logo off of or buys ones that don't have a logo on them. It's a little dumb, yes, but it's what he chooses to do.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis22 View Post
Believe it or not...one of my drumming buddies refuses to sport any logos or brand names on his setup. He has removed all the badges, stencils off the cymbals, and even uses heads that either he can remove the logo off of or buys ones that don't have a logo on them. It's a little dumb, yes, but it's what he chooses to do.
This sounds like a guy i know that takes the logos off his sneakers,everything.He too does not endorse ANYTHING! Crazy
Old 06-04-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis22 View Post
lol I feel a little 'dumb' now, because that's why I was asking; I have removed all the badges from my kit, any stickers, head logos, cymbal logos, etc. etc. I like my kit to be about my style and how I play... Not WHAT I'm playing on. If you wanna' know, ask, otherwise I don't want it in any pictures, or even anyone's minds.

A-customs... That sounds like me lol. Any logo that is removable, I will remove, in most aspects of life.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Platinum Member

I work with inks and I do Graphic Design. I THINK I have a solvent that MIGHT work on a coated head at work.
Not sure, but I will try it tomorrow.
If it works I will post the name and where to get it.

I was able to remove an Aquarian logo from a Z-100 head with acetone and it didn't mess the coating up.

Let you guy's know how it goes. Coated head going in the car now.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

This link is for a product called Triple Blend.

It's similar to acetone, but it doesn't melt plastic.
It is used to remove cured Plastisol Ink from garments (ink marks from printed T shirts).

I was able to get the Remo logo on a coated head down to be maybe 5-10% visible before any coating started rubbing off.
Remo coated Ambassadors have a white film base, so the coating that did rub off (from a sleeve seam scraping on the area) wasn't visible from a foot away, but it depends on how anal someone would be on how the head looks if they really want a logo off.

I only had 2 heads to try. I think if the logo is rubbed lightly (with a SOFT cloth with NO SEAM or stitching), and done a few times (wipe lightly, let dry, rub lightly, etc...) it should make the logo pretty much gone without dissolving the coating.

Here's the link;

http://www.calibratedsps.com/screenp...r-fluid-2.html

It's not "cheap", but it's not insanely expensive if someone is really that intent on removing logos off heads, but I wasn't able to get the logo completely removed.

The ink on coated heads dyes the coating, that's the reason it doesn't "come off"--besides, it's not supposed to.

It'll easily remove logos from smooth white of black heads.

This product isn't strong enough to take logos off cymbals.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:31 AM

Awesome tip, Karl, thanks, man.

I found that on heads that aren't coated rubbing it with some generic nail polish remover seemed to get most of it off. To handle the little that was left I just used 90% ispropyl alcohol, available at any general store. I haven't tried this on my Remo Ebony Suede heads yet, but when i do I'll let you guys know what kind of results I get.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, on smooth heads, acetone, nail polish remover or anything like that will work.
Ink doesn't adhere that well to plastic. Unless it's etched right in, it'll come off easily.
I have a swede head or two laying around.
I'll try it.
Fun experiments!