DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-26-2010, 04:50 PM

Default New Double Bass Pedals

Hey guys...been browsing here a while, haven't posted too much. I'm hoping you can give me some opinions on new bass pedals. I'm in Canada first off, I can purchase from www.MusiciansFriend.com, but locally I have http://www.long-mcquade.com/ . I'm also looking at the used market near Toronto. I don't play a lot of metal style double kicks, I use them mainly for accents and fun :).

I'm hoping to spend in the $200 range...I've found a few offers

DW 7000 Double Bass Pedal $175 - After asking, the pedals are supposedly in mint condition, and while the buyer has no pictures, he has confirmed they are the same as these pedals

Tama Iron Cobra w/ Case $100 - This sounds like a really good deal to me. I'm told the pedals are about 5 years old, I'm a little new to the drum market but I'm hoping that even being 5 years old, they are still these iron cobras?

DW 5000 Double Pedal $225 - Pretty straight forward..good pedals, fair price? Pictures provided...Pic1, Pic2

Any opinions on the above would be great :D

Cheers,
Greg
Old 05-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: New Double Bass Pedals

The Tamas sound like the best deal. Just check them out really well for linkage wear or loose u-joints.

I play a DW7000 single as a backup pedal or when I take a small set up with minimal and light hardware. It has a nice feel for me because it's sort of heavy. I like heavier pedals.

The DW5000s are only a little better than the Iron Cobras but it's really a personal preference kind of thing.

Get the Tamas.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:21 PM

They aren't a different model or anything are they? I wasn't too sure if maybe the Iron Cobras I'm familiar with are different than those that were around 5 years ago.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

You need to get your feet on them, or pedals just like them. I had a set of DW 5000's, and a DW 5000 single, before I up-graded to my Yamaha Direct Drive singles. I didn't like the Tama IC or the DW 7000 at all, but that's my personal preference. Your choice, might be completely different.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

Even if you spend $400 on a set of pedals, you could end up having problems getting familiar with them. Same goes for the other direction which is you could spend $100 on a set of 5 year old IC's and just be a breeze with them.

If you can possibly get on them and tinker and adjust and feel what you're going to buy, than do that first. If not, buy what fits your budget best based on what you "should" spend, staying within your budget. No matter what you buy, provided they are in good working order...will take some familiarization, adjustment to your liking, and eventual proficiency that equates to the muscle memory in your legs, feet and toes. This also taking into account that your selection of pedals all have roughly the same ability and adjust-ability. Most marketed pedals are generally in the same family and not withstanding any huge differences, should be suitable by anyone for playing.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 AM

I have played the IC's the Pearl Eliminator, and the DW 9000....but now i play Axis. WHen i bout all of the pedals i got to sit down at Guitarcenter and tinker around with them before i bought them! Thats the only way you can figure out what is right for you!