DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-18-2008, 07:09 AM

Default Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal help

Hey,

I have a problem with my Pearl Eliminator double pedal (chain driven). It's kind of hard to explain but it's not "bouncy" enough if you know what I mean. It doesn't rebound off the drum head as quick as I'd like it to and It's like it can't keep up with the speed of my foot and it gets very annoying.

Also with the slave pedal it's not 100% even with the main pedal. The right pedal seems to have a stronger rebound and I want the slave to have the same amount of rebound.

Sorry for the bad explanation but I don't know how else to.

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal help

Its the most adjustable pedal out there IMO, so making it bouncy should be no problem. Start with the shaft height , shaft angle adjustment, move to adjusting spring tension ( tighter), move to sliding the heel plate power shifter forward/backward.

A combination of any of the above should be to your liking. Then just duplicate the sdjustments on your slave pedal.

p-s : your BD head might be looser than it needs to..?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks for the help.

I usually have a bit of trouble adjusting the angle of the shaft to make the slave and main pedal heights even.

What is the best way to do it?
Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveringDozza View Post
Thanks for the help.

I usually have a bit of trouble adjusting the angle of the shaft to make the slave and main pedal heights even.

What is the best way to do it?
There are notches on the outer ring. You could align it to your specs, and repeat that alignment on the slave
Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member

Hopefully this makes it foolproof:
Name:  pedal 1.jpg
Views: 6426
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  pedal 2.jpg
Views: 6631
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  pedal 3.jpg
Views: 6405
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  pedal 4.jpg
Views: 7531
Size:  45.9 KB

The different cams also also give you options for feel.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like spring tension to me, easy enough to sort, diagram in post above points it out.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 02-18-2008, 11:09 AM

Is this a new pedal for you? I just switched to an Eliminator [single], and it took me about 6 hours to get it right. I did find it at the end, but part of that was my muscles adapting to a new pedal. I put a different spring in it, a Gibralter one, and it could have helped, but there are almost too many variables with it. Now I am happy with it but before, i was loosing my mind!....time...!
Old 02-18-2008, 12:41 PM

Thanks guys.

Nah it's not a new pedal. I've just put up with it for a while a guess. But I've used other pedals and they just feel better and it's annoying me now. I can even some how go faster on the pedal on my crappy school kit.

I still can't seem to get it to feel better. I can't change the height of the foot board without everything screwing up either.

How do I make both foot boards higher?

I also can't manage to get the slave and main pedal even. I was adjusting the spring tension and made them even but the main pedal still went back and forth for longer when I pulled them back and let them go at the same time.

I'm having a hard time configuring this damn thing.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeveringDozza View Post
Thanks guys.

Nah it's not a new pedal. I've just put up with it for a while a guess. But I've used other pedals and they just feel better and it's annoying me now. I can even some how go faster on the pedal on my crappy school kit.

I still can't seem to get it to feel better. I can't change the height of the foot board without everything screwing up either.

How do I make both foot boards higher?

I also can't manage to get the slave and main pedal even. I was adjusting the spring tension and made them even but the main pedal still went back and forth for longer when I pulled them back and let them go at the same time.

I'm having a hard time configuring this damn thing.
I know what you mean, I had/ have the same problem getting the footboard angle right without it changing everything. I kinda gave up and adapted. It feels like it doesn't have the right tension on the back swing, almost like it is designed to go only one way-toward the head. I need tension one my leg when I am winding up. I have tryed every cam, and found the black one to work the best. Mine is a belt drive, and I almost feel like shortening it [the belt] and that will raise the board...But again, I have somehow adapted. One thing I did notice, was when I go onto another pedals, and feel it is faster, and then return to the Eliminator, It has attributes that the 'other pedal doesn't have. It is smooth. I guess its rare to find everything in one pedal. That said I tryed a Yamaha dragon, and if I was rich, I would buy that one instantly....good luck
Old 02-18-2008, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

I have the same pedal in a single.

I like a higher footboard too.
Here's what I did to get it.

I took out the screws at the front of the footboard and raised the linkage up one spot, and put the screws back in.

This raised the footboard and didn't really change the throw of the beater after I set it.
I moved it one spot up, but you can move it as much as you want.

Moving the chain/screws has NOT caused ANY problems as far as strength or anything.
I have had 2 pedals set up like this for almost 4 years without any problems.

I like a 'springier' feel too, and the RED cam was best for that (for me).
Also, changing the springs to DW spings helped.
DW's springs are heavier than Pearl's.

The heel is in the second spot (line) on the black plate.

Here's a couple picks.
In the second one you can see where the chain is moved up...it looks a little bunched at the front of the FB.
Again, this has NOT affected the performance of the pedal in any way, and it can handle really heavy playing no problem.

Hope this can help.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:33 AM
Platinum Member

Karl , did you slide the heel plate forward to the max, or is it in the middle position?

Last edited by aydee; 02-19-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:34 PM

It looks like it is at the first setting [from the pic]
Old 02-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, it's in the middle slot.

The heel piece is all the way back to the end of the plate if it's in the 'first' slot.

I tried it all the way up, but it wasn't for me.

One thing I think is cool, is the feel going down is almost the same as coming back up.
I like to feel the pedal under my foot.

Also, the whole spring assembly (the piece that attaches to the post) seems sturdier than other pedals to me.

Like it swings really fluidly, but it has a sturdy feel, like it's not going to ever fail.
when I press down on the footboard with my hand, the pedal swing back and forth freely, and swings a few times, even with the tighter, heavier DW spring.

I do use the DW beater, and I put the small (Tama, I think) weight thing right under the beater head.

This probably helps the throw and the swing.

All I know is it feels great, and gets a great, solid sound on my kick, no matter if I play real quiet, normally, or real heavy.

BTW, the rolled up towel piece works really fantastic for muffling the kick without making the drum dead.

It makes for a solid, natural sound without excess oooooo in the boom.
I made and use a nicer looking one now, but alas, no pic of it....haha :P
Old 03-25-2009, 05:24 PM

hey i just got a powershifter double pedal (p-122tw) and im also having problems with making the main pedal and slave pedal feel the same after screwing around o it for a couple of hours i found out that if u unhook both springs the main beater has the weight of the pedal pulling down on it and the slave beater doesn't i haven't tried to move the spring to the other side but i was thinking if i were to get the bw100 beater weight and only put it on the slave beater at the end farthest from the beater itself it might act like the weight of the pedal

i think this would be the only way to make both beaters feel the exactsame way

let me know what u think
Old 05-28-2010, 10:16 PM

Not to steal the conversation, but are there any user manuals out there on Pearl Elims? I bought a pair used and have no manual of any kind. I am trying to take off the beater holder on the slave, but it wont come easily. I don't want to force it, in case it's not supposed to come off, thereby breaking something.
Gibraltar
Old 05-29-2010, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

Can't really hijack a thread with the last post over a year old hahaha!!

I'd go to a shop that sells it, and see if they have a new one. It should have a manual in the box, or bag it comes in.
I know mine had the manual when I bought them.

If you are talking about the piece next to the cam, I would leave it. I don't have a double, but I think you can make the DP into 2 singles.

Do you just not like how it looks?
It's such a small cast piece, it's not impeding anything, and it's not going to make the pedal any faster if it's off. It doesn't really weigh more than a few ounces.

If you really want it off, you'll have to take the cam shaft off and loosen the small hex nuts (on the underside of the piece) and slide everything off (cam and beater piece). Then line up the cam, tighten it all back up and replace the bearing things and the nut.

Good luck!