DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-19-2010, 03:23 PM

Default Re: Keith Moon

If you have to ask why Moonie is considered a legend, then you simply don't get it. I saw the Who in their prime many, many times and Moon had an intangible that made them one of the greatest live rock n' roll bands ever. Limitless energy, a unique style (isn't that what we all strive for?) and no one had more FUN playing a drum kit. The Who died with him.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 PM

The greatest rock drummer of all time
Old 02-22-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrith View Post
The greatest rock drummer of all time
Your talking about John Bonham, right? lol
Old 02-22-2010, 01:52 AM

young man blues live at leeds is some crazy drummin
Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Silver Member

Thank youuuu Keith!

Thanks!!!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
The 1970 'WHO' gig at IOW the drumming was over dubed.
Where did you hear that one?
as far as i know this was not overdubbed, however his final performance in 78 at Shepperton Studios for the Kids Are Alright movie, was later overdubbed.
The Quadrophenia featured Kenny Jones on serveral tracks as Keith was not upto it for various reasons lol.

As a huge Moon fan, it was sad to see Keith go from a sharp playing drummer in the mid 60's to a not so sharp almost sloppy drummer by 78, most of this was due to drugs and drink issues.

RIP Moonie
Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 PM
TFITTING942

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanlong View Post
as far as i know this was not overdubbed, however his final performance in 78 at Shepperton Studios for the Kids Are Alright movie, was later overdubbed.
The Quadrophenia featured Kenny Jones on serveral tracks as Keith was not upto it for various reasons lol.

As a huge Moon fan, it was sad to see Keith go from a sharp playing drummer in the mid 60's to a not so sharp almost sloppy drummer by 78, most of this was due to drugs and drink issues.

RIP Moonie
My post was in response to post #184 where someone said there was a drummer backstage actually doing the playing. Total bull. No one played live for Keith backstage period.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanlong View Post

RIP Moonie
That, and he never practiced when the Who went on break.

And after the 75/76 tour, The Who went on hiatus, Moon moved to Los Angeles, and didn't touch a drum kit for several years. He even made a solo album during this time, but he only sang on it, and hired others to do the drumming.

When the band got back together to record "Who Are You" Keith had to, more or less, re-learn how to play.

Although I recalled reading the John had told Keith to play straight on "905" and to not do anything wild, so as to fit the mood of the song.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM

heres a little tribute to keith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43DnTjvgdcI

Now, I had serious problems with this vid, as the mp3 of the original song was from a different source to the one I played along with, so some parts it goes out of sync..all i can say is, my word against yours, I was in time guys :-)

enjoy anyways.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:47 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Keith Moon - the Who: Just added two videos from the Stones RocknRoll Circus 1968:

A Quick One (...While He's Away)

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/k...ckcircus1.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/k...ckcircus2.html

Bernhard
Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussDiaper View Post
heres a little tribute to keith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43DnTjvgdcI

Now, I had serious problems with this vid, as the mp3 of the original song was from a different source to the one I played along with, so some parts it goes out of sync..all i can say is, my word against yours, I was in time guys :-)

enjoy anyways.
Nice job man! you had it going on there, was tapping my feet to it,Great song.......
Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
Yeah, Keith is the man! He got me started playing drums. Thanks, Keith! :)
I agree with you............................................... .....................
Old 07-16-2010, 01:42 AM

If it weren't for Moon the Loon I wouldn't have started practicing the drums. His creativity in drumming when listening to The Who just stood out of that other drummers. The world would be a lot more fun and interesting if he was still around. :)
Old 12-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Keith was the first drummer I truly loved and I just found these and thought to share.

http://soundcloud.com/lazyd/tracks

Inlcudes isolated drum tracks from Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, and Won't Get Fooled Again. There are also other iso instruments too which are pretty cool.

Enjoy!
Old 12-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

I don't want to tear the guy down, because everyone has their own influences. But I never thought Moon was great. Recently I watched Mike Portnoy's "In Constant Motion" video, which includes Portnoy playing a really impressive tribute to Keith Moon, so I thought I'd give Moon a shot again. Still don't get it. I thought Portnoy played the song a thousand times better. Portnoy was busy but precise, Moon sounds muddy and frantic and distracting. And bear in mind that when I say this, I wasn't a Portnoy fan before the video either (I tried getting into Dream Theater b/c of a gig and just couldn't, but man Portnoy can play and seems like a decent guy).

Moon was also kind of a - how to put it nicely - d-bag. Maybe some people respect him more for being a 'rebel', but that never really impressed me with any musicians. Popping a handful of pills before a gig and fainting on stage and blowing up toilets may be cool to some ... but I don't get it. Just play the drums.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy View Post
Keith was the first drummer I truly loved and I just found these and thought to share.

http://soundcloud.com/lazyd/tracks

Inlcudes isolated drum tracks from Who Are You, Behind Blue Eyes, and Won't Get Fooled Again. There are also other iso instruments too which are pretty cool.

Enjoy!
Thanks for that. Love the screams later on just as he's doing his fills. It's Moonie's passion, energy, excitement and free-spiritedness that gets fans in. http://www.drummagazine.com/drumpedia/post/keith-moon/
Old 12-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Rebel

From Tony Williams: " Keith Moon playing is beautiful and totally free."
Old 12-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Hey anybody who drives a Rolls-Royce into the Holiday-Inn swimming pool is alright by me LOL But since it was Keith Moon that's cooler because he's a great drummer.

Bonzolead
Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Keith Moon that good???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerduncan2002 View Post
Would anyone care to enlighten me about Keith Moon? He is deemed a legend, yet I have never been impressed by his playing. I found his playing sloppy, especially in concert. I don't think he took his playing all that seriously. Maybe someone could help me out.

Keith Moon page on DrummerWorld
He's the greatest of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pohhMx9EdNc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzlRsLMVgs8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLMc6J9h3mU
Old 05-21-2011, 01:36 AM
Eoleneu

He had great groove and plays very musically, underlining the melodies, and with a lot of really good pulsing steady beats. Did he forego the hi-hat to concentrate on double bass beats? his drumming there for example sounds very kraut/motorik, are very driving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0kB5...eature=related

I believe Zach Hill is today's Keith Moon, but much more focused on drumming!
Old 05-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Silver Member

Keith Moon was the reason I got into drums, about 33 years ago. Although my direction has changed considerably, I still love his playing.

"Slip Kid", "Pure and Easy", "Young Man Blues", "Amazing Journey" and "the Real Me" are a few of my favorites

Some fun facts:

He used to promote the myth that he was self taught. Not true! He took lessons for about 8 months with Carlo Little, the top rock drummer in London of his day. He had trouble convincing him to give lessons and didn't have much money. So he came up with a scheme with a friend (Gerry Evans) to take a lesson and pay his fee, then go to his friend's house and teach him what he learned for 1/2 price! -paraphrased from the biography Dear Boy:The Life of Keith Moon, by Tony Fletcher

When Philly Joe Jones was in London around 1968, he opened a studio to give lessons. Keith walked in one day, hoping to learn from one of his idols. He gave Philly Joe the 2.65 who then asked him to play something in order to assess where he was at. Keith did "his thing" on the drums, and then Philly Joe asked, "Do you play with a band?" Keith replied that he did and then Philly Joe asked how much he made. Keith said something like "I dunno, 1,000 a week". At which point Philly Joe shook his head, handed him back his 2.65 and said, "I could only harm you."

During a blind album test, Elvin Jones was played a Who album. His response "the man is a drummer."

Tony Williams was quoted as saying about Keith, "He's beautiful, he's so free." In other interviews he said he "likes (rock) drummers like Keith Moon."

He sat in on a Billy Cobham clinic once and apparently sat in on Billy's drums. After sometime, Billy said, I don't know what you're doing, but keep on doing it!"

Alex Duthart, the great pipe band drummer was at an event for Premier and noticed in one of the rooms this beautiful kit was set up. (I've only heard his legendary playing in pipe bands, but he was supposed to be a fabulous set player; I don't know if there are any recordings). Anyway, it was Keith's kit and he asked a roadie if he could play it. "No, you're all right"- basically, the brush off. But Alex couldn't get it out of his mind. So he persisted. Eventually they let him. Alex did his thing, at which point Keith, who was listening from the wings, finished his drink, got up and left. The roadie came over and asked his name. Alex told him but asked why. He said, "He'll (Keith) want to know in the morning."

-John
Old 05-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

And Wh♂ could forget these two gems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrF_BGLdy-o

-John
Old 06-08-2011, 06:44 PM

To reply to the original thread about Keith Moon. Anyone who understands what makes an individual great, should abandon all those socially conditioned soundbytes that float around about Keith Moon.

All those little buzz word phrases about Keith being a "sloppy" drummer or him always "overplaying" are observations by people who have no appreciation or real undertanding for what made him a brilliant drummer different from the others.

The plaque errected after his death in the Golders Green Crematorium which reads Keith Moon: Who drummer 1946-1978 "There is no substitute." This sums up Keith Moon's contribution to drumming perfectly, there simply is no drummer like him, nor will there be again. Listen to his immense drumming on "Won't get fooled again." I challenge any drummer out there to play those drum parts as he did on that recording. Listen to it very carefully and you will find, you won't be able to do it. Keith is simply on a different level all together, listen to where he hits the cymbals, where he fills in, his interpretation of the track. It is extraordinary actually.

So here's the lesson forget all your schools of drumming, forget all those analytical drum buffs who tell you, don't overplay (actually there is no such thing as overplaying, it was Keith style and no one did it before him or like him.) Nor listen to those academics who have metronomes stuck in their brains, hes not sloppy, he's understands drums differently from you, and thats why he's Keith Moon and changed the world of drums forever. And most of all thats why he will be remembered as one of the greatest most influencial drummers that ever lived, and thats why those drum critics will be forgotten 10 mins after their dead.....Keith Moon lives on.....God bless him, is is blindingly brilliant, beyond and above those who think they understood him....Keith Moon I can see a different drummer a one in a million who shone and gave us all something....indeed there is no substitute....
Old 08-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Platinum Member

Happy Birthday Moonie,
You would've. been 65 today.

Bonzolead
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2011, 06:20 AM
Rebel

Good call...Good reminder! totally free playing style. "The Real Me"
Old 08-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Good call...Good reminder! totally free playing style. "The Real Me"
I would've done a big paragraph saying how great he was but we all know that..lol

IMO the most craziest & original Rock drummer ever.

Bonzolead
Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Rebel

Happy Moon....................................
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinedrummer View Post
So here's the lesson forget all your schools of drumming, forget all those analytical drum buffs who tell you, don't overplay (actually there is no such thing as overplaying, it was Keith style and no one did it before him or like him.) Nor listen to those academics who have metronomes stuck in their brains, hes not sloppy, he's understands drums differently from you, and thats why he's Keith Moon and changed the world of drums forever. And most of all thats why he will be remembered as one of the greatest most influencial drummers that ever lived, and thats why those drum critics will be forgotten 10 mins after their dead.....Keith Moon lives on.....God bless him, is is blindingly brilliant, beyond and above those who think they understood him....Keith Moon I can see a different drummer a one in a million who shone and gave us all something....indeed there is no substitute....
You just nailed this thread, my friend, my thoughts exactly!!
all the other rock drummers Today (even a 10 year old) can play like Neil Peart, Bonzo or any other famous drummer in rock history but no Keith Moon!!

I just love non technical drumming.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:46 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
You just nailed this thread, my friend, my thoughts exactly!!
all the other rock drummers Today (even a 10 year old) can play like Neil Peart, Bonzo or any other famous drummer in rock history but no Keith Moon!!

I just love non technical drumming.
Actually I think the 10 year old would look more like Moon with all the flailing of arms, and not really knowing what he is going to do next. You don't need to knock down the other drummers to prop up your fav. You like him, and that is great.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Actually I think the 10 year old would look more like Moon with all the flailing of arms, and not really knowing what he is going to do next. You don't need to knock down the other drummers to prop up your fav. You like him, and that is great.
So, it's ok for you to insult Moon but the minute anyone touches your Golden Goose you get the pitchfork out?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 PM

[The Who died with him.[/quote]

True.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:56 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
So, it's ok for you to insult Moon but the minute anyone touches your Golden Goose you get the pitchfork out?
Still fishing. You have a short memory. Bernard asked you and I to stay away from each others stuff. Why so jealous anyways. What is the matter. You need a hug. You really need to get over this. Really. This place is for big people. Big people get over things. :)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:02 PM
sticks4drums

Duncan. Are you Paddy 689909 off of Youtube?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

No, I've got the same username on here as on YouTube. I don't need a hug; I get plenty of those.

There's no jealousy here, I'm just pointing out a clear and obvious hypocrisy and I'm quite big enough.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:18 PM
sticks4drums

There is a guy on youtube that is 24 from the United Kingdom that talks just like you. I thought for sure it was you. Same friendly personality. :)
Old 09-14-2011, 11:26 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I'm twenty-three. Not twenty-four.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientgreg View Post
[The Who died with him.
True.[/quote]

Agree!...although I gotta give props to Zak!...he's filled in pretty admirably IMO...
Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
not really knowing what he is going to do next is the key, the unpredictable drumming , which is extremely rare these days! what i meant that there is no Keith Moon since his death! however there are so many Bonhams in You Tube. nobody is knocking anyone down, :)
Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAHAHA View Post
Ummm....

Time to do some research!
Mike Mangini:
Current WFD Records:
Matched Grip Singles - 1,247,
Bare Hands Singles - 1,138,
Traditional Grip Singles - 1,126,
Endurance 13,222 Feet Singles in 15 Minutes
15 minutes = 900 seconds
13,222 / 900 = 14.69 beats/second! SMOKIN'

Of course John Bonham isn't around to compete against Mr. Mangini but if you've ever seen Mangini perform, you'd know just how blazing fast he is!

Bonham's been gone for 31 years why are you comparing him to a modern drummer?

What Would Ian Paice Do?
Old 09-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Actually I think the 10 year old would look more like Moon with all the flailing of arms, and not really knowing what he is going to do next.
I think this pretty well sums up what people love about Moonie. He played garage style with all its power, spontaneity, freedom and fire ... but he perfected it like no one else.

Neil Peart was a big fan. That's doesn't mean you have to be, of course. Just saying ...