DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Default two overheads vs. 4 tom mics?

playng at a venue which seats about 400..need help. should i use 2 overheads (equation alpha series condenser mics) or individually mic 4 toms with sennheiser 604's. couple hundred dollars difference. i have an AKG112 and am getting a SHURE 57 for the snare.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: two overheads vs. 4 tom mics?

They don't have mics?

A 400 seater won't need cymbals miced and MAY not need a snare miced, depending on how hard you are hitting. If you are buying mics you can't go wrong with either purchase, but for personal use I'd rather have overheads. For a gig I'd rather have tom mics.

If they don't have mics you might also want to find out if they have a large enough PA to accommodate all six of your inputs.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 AM

i'd get a pair of audio technica 4033a's. my kit has never sounded better recorded
Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 PM
audiotech

If possible I would use minimally 4 mics, snare, bass drum an two overheads. With strategic placement of the overheads it will bring your toms and cymbals well balanced into the mix. There are many very good microphones capable of accurately reproducing the drum's sound from overhead on live venues. For recording I usually always use AKG 414 ULS in a spaced configuration. For live it's usually Shure SM81s. I've been looking at a pair of Shure KSM 137s I might try. Whatever microphones you use, remember correct placement is paramount.

Dennis