DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 PM

Default SPD-S / PD-8 False Triggering

I'm using an SPD-S as my sound source, and recently decided to use two PD-8 pads for external triggers. (The pads were sold to me as "barely used.") The two PD-8's must be mounted on my kit by being clamped onto existing cymbal stands, as there's no more room on stage for more stands. The problem is that whenever I hit the cymbals on those stands, the vibrations are making the PD-8's trigger the sounds in the SPD-S.
I tried adjusting sensitivity settings on the fly during the gig last night, but they didn't work. Today I found the "Threshold" setting listed in the manual, and will try that next weekend, but does anyone know if this will really fix the problem, or is there something else that needs to be done? I can't find this information anywhere.
Thanks!!

Last edited by BergerDrum; 05-16-2010 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling errors and making some wording clearer
Old 05-17-2010, 02:10 AM

Default Re: SPD-S / PD-8 False Triggering

If you can't fix the problem with the crosstalk settings your SPD-S will need it's own stand
Old 05-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Go to page 77 in the manual and read that whole page. However, pay particular attention to "mask time'.

Direct quote from manual:

"Mask Time 064 (in steps of 4 ms),->96, 128, 256ms

You may hear a sound twice though you feel you have hit a pad only once. This is a
parameter to prevent this phenomenon. A second trigger signal within the specified
time is ignored. If the value is too large, the SPD-S cannot keep up with your repeated
strikes."

Play with this (Mask time) but keep in mind that it changes how fast the SPD-S will allow perceived notes to play consecutively after each other. Triggering longer sounds (gong, guitar power chords, chimes, cymbal, timpani, etc.) will work better than rapid fire (machine gun snares, quick toms, etc.). Again it's something you should experiment with and see where the best setting is as there are trade-offs for all these types of settings.

HTH

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 05-20-2010, 01:34 PM

Hi guys,
Thanks for the suggestions, but...unfortunately, neither of the things you suggest help, for one reason or another. Sorry! (Jonutarr, the false triggering issue isn't happening with the SPD-S itself, which already has its own stand; it's with the two external trigger pads that I have clamped onto cymbal stands on my kit.) The same day I posted this thread, I emailed Roland support, and this is the reply they sent to me:

"First make sure you've set the Trigger Type properly for the PD-8's. (Which I had already.)
Next- Increase both the Threshold (which I had already) and X-talk values in the SPD-S for each of the pads. That should solve the issue."

The Crosstalk setting seems to be the other piece of the puzzle that I was missing. I'll try it out at this weekend's gigs and let you know how it all ended up.
Thanks very much for chiming in, guys!
By the way, the "Threshold" setting is covered on page 81 of the manual, and the "Crosstalk Cancel" setting is covered on page 83.

Last edited by BergerDrum; 05-20-2010 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Added info on manual's page numbers
Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Looks like the "Crosstalk Cancel" setting did the trick. The external trigger pad that's mounted on a stand that holds 2 cymbals had to be adjusted to the highest X-talk Cancel possible, even if only one cymbal was being hit; possibly because both those cymbals are larger (an 18" crash and a 20" china). The other pad is on a stand which only holds a 16" crash, and X-talk Cancel didn't need to be set quite as high.
This setup makes my life a lot easier. I don't have to go left to hit the SPD-S to get every sound out of it; I've assigned the sounds I use most on the external triggers, and it has also expanded each patch by 2 additional samples.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 AM

The thing you have to understand is, it's not only physical vibration that sets the pizeo/trigger in you pad off, it's also symphonic vibration set of the trigger, I had this with my DIY electronic bass drum, my acoustic snare was setting it off, I had to adjust my design and give it more covering, so if you PD-8 is under or around something loud it can cause problems, it's one of the challenges working with triggers live