DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-24-2010, 04:52 AM

Default Evans EMAD vs. Aquarian Superkick3

Hi guys, i need a new kick head to replace my stock ddrum kick head(actually its labled "snare head" haha) I have played on my friends crappy pearl forum with an emad head on it and it sounds AMAZING, like exactly the sound i like BUT I love aquarian and the Superkick 3 looks really nice, it basically looks like a bass drum version of the hi energy snare head (which i own and make love to, lol jk) but is it gonna be good for my uses? I play a lot of rock and metal.
Thanks for any help/advice u might have!
ALSO I JUST READ ABOUT REMO POWERSONICS SO IM ADDING THAT TO MY LIST OF CONSIDERED HEADS
Old 05-24-2010, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Evans EMAD vs. Aquarian Superkick3

I personally have never heard an Aquarian Superkick 3, but I do have the Evans EMAD. It's an amazing drum head. It focuses the sound perfectly, and with a Falam Slam and zero inner-drum muffling you still get a nice tone from the drum. I have it installed on a Pearl Export, but it's one of the best bass drum sounds I've ever had.

The only problem is that the muffle ring is not all that durable. I've had the head on my drums for about 5 months and it started to come off the head. I fixed it with some tape and it sounds good as new, though. I don't have the money to constantly be replacing a bass drum head, so it's a bit frustrating. Maybe consider the GMAD? I believe that's a heavier head and would fit more with the metal style.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Super Kick III on my kit. It's basically the SKI (single ply) with a Power Dot...Falam Patch, whatever you want to call it.

I've had it for about 9 months and shows hardly any signs of use. It has a big fat boom to that just sounds awesome. No dampening required. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
I use the Super Kick III on my kit. It's basically the SKI (single ply) with a Power Dot...Falam Patch, whatever you want to call it.

I've had it for about 9 months and shows hardly any signs of use. It has a big fat boom to that just sounds awesome. No dampening required. I highly recommend it.
Cool, do u have any sound clips or videos or can u make some?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoreking81 View Post
Cool, do u have any sound clips or videos or can u make some?
Sorry. Right now, I don't have a way of recording/uploading anything. Certainly not any audio that would do the heads any justice...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:25 AM

Remo Powersonic, man, hands down. I just put one on my kick along with a Remo Ambassador reso and it sounds like a dream. I put the reso on just tight enough to remove wrinkles, then evened the tuning, and the batter side just enough to remove wrinkles and then up half a turn. Don't have to have any muffling in the drum that will alter your sound, just take it out of the box, pop it on and it sounds amazing (I also love being able to add or remove the exterior muffle pad based on how much resonance I want depending on the song I'm playing).

So deep and powerful, but it doesn't just ring out for eternity. You would almost think it's synthetic bass. And I even have somewhat low end shells. If you really fly on the double kick and prefer a tighter head you can tighten the batter up some and it still sounds nice and deep. Add the flam pad for attack and fu'get'aboutit.Definitely Powersonic.

Last edited by acegeister; 05-25-2010 at 05:46 AM.