DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-22-2010, 07:17 AM

Default Snare Wire Chords vs. Plastic Straps

How do you have yours attached? Can anyone tell me what the difference is? My DW Super Solid came with the 20-strand Pures attached with plastic straps. I bought 30-strand Pures to replace it and they came with chords instead of the plastic straps. I put them on with the straps from the 20-strands, I don't know why. What do you guys think?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Snare Wire Chords vs. Plastic Straps

I would think plastic straps are better being thinner, so they don't get in the way as much. What are your thoughts?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:27 AM

Yeah, that was actually my reasoning too. I felt like maybe the straps would allow the snares to sit closer to the head, thus making them a bit more responsive, but I'm not certain, as I have never tried chords.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Gold Member

To me the cords give better results, but they're too fiddly. The plastic straps are simpler to deal with, but most are too stiff for the job--you get the alignment off by just a little bit and you get problems.

The solution, given to me by an even older-school drummer than myself, is grosgrain ribbon.

This is a polyester ribbon sold in craft and fabric stores. It is very strong, yet it is also very soft and flexible. It gives you the ease of use of the plastic straps yet is supple enough that the snares land on the head squarely every time--the strap doesn't force the snare wires askew.

5/8" width ribbon seems to fit most snare sets, and you can get a lifetime supply for a few dollars. Plus, it's available in a wide range of colors! I even saw camo ribbon the last time I looked.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
To me the cords give better results, but they're too fiddly. The plastic straps are simpler to deal with, but most are too stiff for the job--you get the alignment off by just a little bit and you get problems.

The solution, given to me by an even older-school drummer than myself, is grosgrain ribbon.

This is a polyester ribbon sold in craft and fabric stores. It is very strong, yet it is also very soft and flexible. It gives you the ease of use of the plastic straps yet is supple enough that the snares land on the head squarely every time--the strap doesn't force the snare wires askew.

5/8" width ribbon seems to fit most snare sets, and you can get a lifetime supply for a few dollars. Plus, it's available in a wide range of colors! I even saw camo ribbon the last time I looked.
Brilliance. Sort of the same concept as the nylon drive on the DW 9k pedals? This makes perfect sense, because I had a feeling the chords may have a little more give, but not quite focused enough, but I also felt that plastic strap was just really rigid (it's HARD plastic, as you know), and this sounds like the perfect solution. I will positively be trying this next time my snare side head needs to be replaced. Thanks for the awesome suggestion!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

6 snares and I have plastic straps on 5 of them. I have no choice on the 6th, It's a '66 Ludwig with P-83 strainer and they only take the cords. If I could make the straps fit, I would.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Platinum Member

I'm the odd-ball then...I can't stand the sound of a plastic strap on my snare wires.

I use the blue PureSound wire. I don't find the extra 30 seconds to set the wires up straight a problem.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

I've been experimenting with all three in the last month. I started with the plastic straps but then made the trip to the fabric store (on the recommendation of Bob Gatzen - or his video anyway!) and picked up a few feet of the exact same stuff Dunnett uses on his snare. First thing I noticed was that they seemed to mute the snare side head.

Next I tried the string. There are two ways to loop thru the holes. The wrong way will cause your snare wires to sit up off the head and you'll get a buzz no matter how tight you make them. The other way mutes slightly like the nylon strap does.

I now have the original plastic straps back on and like it best.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

I experimented and found the extra set of the blue wire cables that came with my 20 strand PS Customs worked BEST on my new maple shell snare drum. I've found each snare drum responds differently with the wire snares and differing beds with either the nylon straps or thin cables. Have to check out both to see which delivers the goods best for each drum in question.

The thin tough as nails very thin blue covered wire gave the crispest most dynamic related response on the maple shell drum with the stock Peace 20 strand wires {quite decent in quality actually} well my phosphor bronze snare drum responded better to the central straps and the 20 strand PS Customs both pictured below.

You'll know which is the right choice when the combo sounds good to your ears....
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 05-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

My two cents: I like cords because I seem to be able to align them equally. But there is no one best way for all drums. Ya gotta experiment. Good question. Good thread.

GJS
Old 05-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
I experimented and found the extra set of the blue wire cables that came with my 20 strand PS Customs worked BEST on my new maple shell snare drum. I've found each snare drum responds differently with the wire snares and differing beds with either the nylon straps or thin cables. Have to check out both to see which delivers the goods best for each drum in question.

The thin tough as nails very thin blue covered wire gave the crispest most dynamic related response on the maple shell drum with the stock Peace 20 strand wires {quite decent in quality actually} well my phosphor bronze snare drum responded better to the central straps and the 20 strand PS Customs both pictured below.

You'll know which is the right choice when the combo sounds good to your ears....
THIS.

Owning a good number of snare drums has made this clearly evident. It really depends on the drum, and the snares. Some snare drums dont sound good with straps, some sound great. And the same is true for the other methods. A person just needs to experiment.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post

Thanks for this,i will be looking to get some of this,as ive never herd of it.