DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-20-2009, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Default Gibraltar Linear Motion Pedal

I have heard of this pedal, apparently it is direct drive, and designed with ergonomics in consideration...

...has anyone used it? What is it like? Pros/Cons?
Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Gibraltar Linear Motion Pedal

By looking at a photo, you should be able to see the obvious problem with this pedal.

Basically, the extremely long arm on which the beater is attached (which pivots on the base rather than on an axle several inches higher like virtually every other pedal around) makes for a very sluggish, unresponsive feel. You can certainly do 1/4 notes at a moderate tempo, but as soon as there's a few 8th notes, the footboard will get away from you because the beater/arm is so slow to respond.

It's as if a mechanical engineer drew something up, but didn't bother to consult a drummer as to whether it felt right. It should have never gone into production.

You can get one pretty cheap now, it might be a nice museum piece someday.

Bermuda
Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
You can get one pretty cheap now, it might be a nice museum piece someday.

Agreed, an "expensive" paperweight is what it is.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Can't agree more with Bermuda. When it came out, I gave it a shot because I both heart Gibraltar and like strange gear that others don't use. In a word... it sucked. Not only was the action alien and unresponsive, the pedal requires half again as much room as a normal pedal to work. It ended up changing my setup (bass drum had to move forward), my technique (pretty hard to do heel-toe on that thing), and within about a day I had taken it back and got something else. Yuck.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassDriver View Post
I have heard of this pedal, apparently it is direct drive, and designed with ergonomics in consideration...

...has anyone used it? What is it like? Pros/Cons?

The inventor of the 'Catapult' is Australian. Here's the link . The inventor (Mark) jumped-in on that thread and talked about Catapult, it been over a year since he's been on the DrummerWorld forum here. There's also video-clip links along the way in that thread.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:50 AM

I just got a catapult, and I have to disagree with other folks here. In fact, I find it to be pretty much the opposite of what people are saying---it's faster and more responsive than anything else I've played, as well as being much better built. Over the years I've owned a Speed King (long my favorite), a Ghost, and various Yamahas and DWs, and I've played most everything else at times, but this one is, for me, the most natural feeling pedal I've had. It lets me have much control over dynamic contrast with much less effort and much more direct response. And the build quality is amazing. It does feel different than other pedals, and I can see how it might feel weird to some people, especially at first, but for me it really hits the sweet spot.