DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-20-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Iron Cobra problem driving me insane!

About 2.5 months ago, I finally got a set after a 8 year hiatus; It's wonderful to be back on the throne...

To accompany my Sonor set, I purchased a new Iron Cobra setup (with slave pedal) and it's just like they used to be- fast and super-adjustable.

however...

i have an incessant clicking that occurs at a certain point when i use the slave pedal. I have checked everything over and over. I have lubed everything to spec, including the sometimes creaky universals on the pedal union. There is nothing binding, nothing striking, everything seems to be tight...

It sounds like it might be coming from the universal joint area or in/around the spot where it joins the main pedal. I can't detect it though, i really can't pin-point it. it's like something is binding and then unbinding, metal to metal.

what could it be! it's driving me crRrazZzzzy. If this thing is mic'd on the batter side, it definately will pick the click up.

i race rc cars so i am used to tracking things like this down with contraptions, but i can't nip this one!

thanks for any help or experiences with this type of deal....
Old 03-20-2007, 05:10 AM

Default Re: Iron Cobra problem driving me insane!

I actually had this same problem but with a dw 4000 double, the foot board was striking the base of the slave pedal before the beater made contact with the drum,I just tightened the conneting rod joint on the slave pedal and it was solved,
sorry if you already tried this, but what I did to find out my problem is press down the pedal slow as possible, to see when the problem occurs.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddrummer90 View Post
I actually had this same problem but with a dw 4000 double, the foot board was striking the base of the slave pedal before the beater made contact with the drum,I just tightened the conneting rod joint on the slave pedal and it was solved,
sorry if you already tried this, but what I did to find out my problem is press down the pedal slow as possible, to see when the problem occurs.
thanks but yeah, i've checked everything. the sound happens when the beater is about 2" from the head AFTER it's hit the head. IF i press it slowly into the batter head and then slowly release it, it clicks when the beater is about 2" away from the head. Sometimes it'll do it at that point and then about an inch later...oh it's driving me crazy! haha

If i put my finger on the universal nearest to the main pedal, i can sorta feel the click ever-so-slightly, it's being transmitted to the connecting rod from somewhere.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member

i have the cobras too, but i havn't had problems, take off the springs and clean out the little notch where it sits, that bearing thing might have a little rock or something in it.

also, get someone else to look at it, they might be able to figure out easy just because you've been looking at it for so long, fresh eyes might pick up on an obvious idea

Old 04-01-2007, 02:23 AM

Hey, I am having this same problem with mine. Has anything worked?
Old 04-01-2007, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDiablo View Post
Hey, I am having this same problem with mine. Has anything worked?
replaced the connecting rods (both sides with knuckles) through my local GC. Tama offered to replace them under warranty, either by me buying them and sending my old ones and then they'd refund me, or sending my pedal in. All of that would take too long even though Tama HQ is only about an hour and a half away from me.

My local GC contact gave me new ones off of a floor model in exchange for mine and it solved it so far...
Old 04-01-2007, 07:20 PM

I guess I didn't read your first post closely enough - the problem I'm having is actually with the main pedal, not the slave. I usually have the slave off as I mostly play punk. Every time I do a double or a triple on the pedal, I get this crazy clickety-clack sound. It sounds like the pedal board is hitting something, but I can't find any evidence of impact - the board and surrounding area looks fine. I've just tightened everything again and am going to have my wife play it while I watch to see what's going on. It just started recently and I've had the pedal since January, so I'm hoping it's just that something came loose and I've already fixed it.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:29 PM

OK, so I took the pedal home, tightened everything up on it, and set it up on my bass drum practice pad (I got one of those Pearl deals recently - real nice)...and that's when I figured out where the clickety clack noise comes from. This is embarassing...It's from my foot on the pedal. My foot lifts off the pedal just the slightest bit when I do a quick double or triple. I've seen guys put tape on their Iron Cobras before, stuff that looks like skate board grip tape, so maybe that's the answer. Anyone else try this before or have this loud foot problem?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
thanks but yeah, i've checked everything. the sound happens when the beater is about 2" from the head AFTER it's hit the head. IF i press it slowly into the batter head and then slowly release it, it clicks when the beater is about 2" away from the head. Sometimes it'll do it at that point and then about an inch later...oh it's driving me crazy! haha

If i put my finger on the universal nearest to the main pedal, i can sorta feel the click ever-so-slightly, it's being transmitted to the connecting rod from somewhere.
Its easy to fix the click bud. on iron cobra's there are 3 bearing nuts. were the beater sits. you completly losen it and take it off and move it to the side. take the spring off and underneat where the beater sits there should be 3 alan key screws. make sure they are all tight. after there all tight when you get all your settings back together and spring back on the click will have gone and you'll have a smooth pedal again. iron cobra's are sick to be honest i moved onto dw 5000's however if u have any more problem tell me and ill be able to give u advise :D
Old 05-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Hi: I had a single pedal that made a clicking noise when the beater was almost striking the head and it turned out to be some side to side movement of the main shaft that the beater fastens to.The whole bearing assembly was moving to the left and hitting inside the left side housing. Check for any up and down or side to side movement of the shaft that holds the beater. My left side bearing housing had a 1/16" movement left to right. Took the pedal back! Huck