DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 PM

Default Flat Base Hardware

Anyone here use the flat base cymbal stands? Preferrably the DW 6000 series, but I'm open to opinions on all of the brands...Ludwig, Canopus, Gibraltar. I really like the placement and look of the flat base cymbal stands for a jazz kit but I'm skeptical with them holding a 22 inch ride cymbal. Any opinions?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Flat Base Hardware

I use the entire Gibraltar 8600 series flatbase hardware for one my jazz kits. In particular I use the 8609 cymbal boom stand for mounting my Agop Sig 26" ride away from my 18" virgin bass drum. Solid as a rock.......

Great well built lightweight hardware!

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-04-2009, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

I use all DW 600 flat base stands.
I use a 24" ride, and 20 or 21" crashes. I use them in a rock band playing in big places & it gets loud (hard playing).
NO PROBLEM.

7000 snare stand, 6000 snare stand for tom and 5000 light weight 2 leg hat stand (w/15" hats).
No problems with anything, and my hardware case is half the weight.

Here's a couple pics/cymbal set-ups showing the stands.

I really like these stands, and the memory locks are great.

The Gibraltar FB stands are really nice as well, and the Brake Tilter on it is great.

But the DW has the memory locks and that's what sold me (over Gibraltar).
Old 12-05-2009, 12:21 AM

Thanks guys! Hey KarlCrafton, I noticed you only use the straight stands from the DW 6000 series. Got any opinions on the boom stand in the series? I saw one and noticed the boom arm on it is pretty short
Old 12-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, it's just the 12" arm and not the 18" arm on the FB stand.
They are sturdy, but I'd keep a leg under the cymbal arm for using a boom.

I don't think I'd use the long arm unless it's a smaller cymbal just to be safe, but they only come with the shorter one from the boxes of them I've seen.

The boom arm is the same 1/2" as other stands, so if you need to use a longer one, it'd fit.

I just use the straight stands because I don't need a boom.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

I've heard that the Gibraltar flat-based stands can overlap one another, whereas the DW ones can't. That's all I know.

I wanted to try flat-based stands for the light weight, but they weren't much lighter than the Yamaha stands I was using, so I went vintage. Man, THOSE things are LIGHT!!!!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I've heard that the Gibraltar flat-based stands can overlap one another, whereas the DW ones can't. That's all I know.
Yes they sure do Caddy. Another bonus in favour of the 8600 series hardware for me when getting stuff tight in to each other to set everything just in the right place for my setup.

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

That is one nice thing about the Gibraltar stands. I really like the brake tilter too.
If they would have had memory locks, I would have gotten them.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 PM

Karl,

Is that crash in your second picture mounted from a floortom leg??

That's cool!

Bram
Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 AM

I have used the Gibraltar 8600 series flat base stands, and, personally, did not love them very much. Yes, you're right about the brake tilters, they work well and are outstandingly helpful, but I found these stands a bit heavy for their shape, brittle and unstable. The hi-hats stand is the worse: also too heavy for its shape and has a crappy pedal mechanism (in spite of the key adjust tension).
If I were you, I would not buy flat base stands only for their jazzy look on stage. I would buy something more solid and reliable.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Daviault View Post
I have used the Gibraltar 8600 series flat base stands, and, personally, did not love them very much. Yes, you're right about the brake tilters, they work well and are outstandingly helpful, but I found these stands a bit heavy for their shape, brittle and unstable. The hi-hats stand is the worse: also too heavy for its shape and has a crappy pedal mechanism (in spite of the key adjust tension).
If I were you, I would not buy flat base stands only for their jazzy look on stage. I would buy something more solid and reliable.
7 months of regular reliable use both live and in the studio and not one complaint from me. Owner opinion on the Gibraltar 8600 series hardware certainly varies especially on the ultra smooth HH stand it appears that's for sure and their solid staying on the ground cym. stands. I mount a 26" ride on the short boom in the series just for reference...SOLID as a rock!

Just being straight up......

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-12-2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

The whole Gibraltar 8600 series hardware family as seen with my kit at a soundcheck before a concert in early July of this year.
Attached Images

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

I also didn't like the hi-hat stand in the FB Gibraltar series, but as for the cymbal stand, I play pretty hard, and the Gibratar FB stand I do have is pretty darn stable, and my DW FB stands have very little or no movement.
As long as a leg is pointed in the general area that you strike the cymbal, it's not going to fall over unless you are going ape sh*t all over the thing, then you're just going to bust the cymbal.

If Stan is putting a 26" ride on the boom stand with success, it's not going to fall over with something smaller.

Bram--For that attachment piece I used a FB stand bottom (3/4 tube) with a regular boom arm ratchet to make it.

It's like the DW Swiveling Dog Bone.
This is the "actual" DW part:
http://dwdrums.com/factoryaccessorie...ITNAME=dwsm778

I stead of buying it, I just used extra stuff I had to make it.
Over the years, I've done a lot of "Frankenstien-ing" to make special things I wanted, or to adapt something, make a piece smaller, that sort of thing.

I made one with Gibraltar parts a couple years ago (when I used Gib hardware), and the one in that pic, I use the middle and top from the flat base stand to match what I have up now (and it's lighter by a little now too).

Anyway, it's attached to the leg with a DW "Puppy Bone".
It works great, saves space (and set-up time). I've been doing it for about 4+ years now.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Doesn't your floortom resonate with the cymbal??
I like the idea :-)

Bram
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

No, it doesn't.

I've played at some large 20,000 seat 'sheds', and indoor places about 5-6000 seat sized, and never noticed any 'extra' sound during sound check, and no one has ever said anything.

I use that as my reference because in those big open stages, if there was something "bad" to be heard, you'd notice it for sure. And if sound guy's hear something they'll let you know!

I don't hear anything right on top of it, and not when I'm playing either (at home, or in 'normal' sized venues).

I use a 20" cymbal in that spot.

The puppy bone piece clamps on really tight too.

If you want to do this, you'll need a Puppy Bone, and either a Dog Bone or the Adjustable Dog Bone.

You need to knock off one end of the Puppy Bone, but then you can make 2 of them by popping another 1/2 rod in the other cast piece (use a good epoxy--Devcon 2 ton is great).
Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Would you guys recommend these stands for rock music? I play in a rock/punk band and i really like these stands.

thanks.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummernoise View Post
Would you guys recommend these stands for rock music? I play in a rock/punk band and i really like these stands.

thanks.
YES.
I use them in a live rock setting and have no problems at all. Even with a 24" ride and 20 & 21" crashes.
My cymbals are about shoulder height, and I don't really have any movement of the stand to speak of. I play like you need to in a rock band in larger places (play like you mean it) and they've been just fine.

I don't beat the snot out of the cymbals, or abuse anything for some kind of "coolness factor" and overdo it like some of the drummers you see in vids, but I'm not playing lightly either.

I use a lighter weight hi hat stand (not a FB though) with 15" hats and have no issues at all with it.

It's a lot nicer moving the hardware case around too!!
Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
YES.
I use them in a live rock setting and have no problems at all. Even with a 24" ride and 20 & 21" crashes.
My cymbals are about shoulder height, and I don't really have any movement of the stand to speak of. I play like you need to in a rock band in larger places (play like you mean it) and they've been just fine.

I don't beat the snot out of the cymbals, or abuse anything for some kind of "coolness factor" and overdo it like some of the drummers you see in vids, but I'm not playing lightly either.

I use a lighter weight hi hat stand (not a FB though) with 15" hats and have no issues at all with it.

It's a lot nicer moving the hardware case around too!!
thanks alot... i will probably get these over the summer.

Ludwig DW Paiste
My Band: http://www.myspace.com/theminoritiess
Old 05-07-2010, 12:32 AM

have you used the dw6000 boom stand?

i want to use that for my ride.

Ludwig DW Paiste
My Band: http://www.myspace.com/theminoritiess
Old 05-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I wanted to try flat-based stands for the light weight, but they weren't much lighter than the Yamaha stands I was using, so I went vintage. Man, THOSE things are LIGHT!!!!
Update: The new Ludwig flat-based stands are the same weight as the vintage ones, give or take a few ounces. Considerably lighter than the Gibraltar and DW ones!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummernoise View Post
have you used the dw6000 boom stand?

i want to use that for my ride.
Nope, sorry, just the straight stands. I'd say it'd work just fine for a 20 -22" ride with a leg positioned for best support.

The Ludwig's are nice stands too, and being a "Ludwig guy" I'd use them, but no Memory Locks...