DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Default Ear protection.

Hey guys i live in the uk, and I'm soon to go off to college and feel I'm at a stage when i should really invest in some ear protection/insulation (if thats what it's called?), so can anyone give any recommendations? Cheers :]
Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Ear protection.

Look here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=58471
Old 02-21-2010, 05:35 AM

If you're worried about your ears getting cold, Id get some ear muffs.
http://www.woolnstuff.com/woolearmuffs.html

If you want hearing protection, I would get some ear plugs. They might set you back a lot, but that $3 is well worth. I would go to a local gun shop and buy a small pair. You can honestly get disposable ones for like a nickel.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

i played a gig last night without ear plugs, lost one of them and didnt have any extras. i still havnt gotten my hearing back. lol
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

I've been wearing the etymotic type for ages:

These are far superior to the foam type because they have relatively flat frequency response. In other words, they sound normal, just softer. I wear them on stage and when attending loud concerts.

The foam plugs offer more protection but cut the highs so much it's hard to play with them--you can't hear the other musicians or yourself.

These are also extremely comfortable, and you can vary how much cut they give by how far you insert them.

Plugs of this design are also available from Hearos.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM

If you really want to do it right, go to an audiologist. It'll cost more than foam of course, but they can check your ears and fit you for plugs that do a great job of cutting down damaging frequencies yet still enable you to hear the highs and lows (cymbals don't sound so muffled, etc). I like the plugs drumtechdad lists below, would pick some of those up also....
Old 02-24-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamtap View Post
If you really want to do it right, go to an audiologist. It'll cost more than foam of course, but they can check your ears and fit you for plugs that do a great job of cutting down damaging frequencies yet still enable you to hear the highs and lows (cymbals don't sound so muffled, etc). I like the plugs drumtechdad lists below, would pick some of those up also....
I usually play along with my Ipod, and use the sound cancelling headphones (paid like 100 bucks for them) Not only do they cancel out sound, but I can use them on stage too.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 PM

I think the ones that drumtechdad linked look very practical, has anyone else used these before?

Many thanks, George.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:49 PM

I use a pair of the earmuffs that people use when they're operating heavy equipment. Got em at Walmart for $10 Canadian and they work like a charm.
Vic Firth Steve Jordan Signature Sticks
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 PM

Like the big overhead ones??
Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 AM

Yeah the ones with big things for your ears and connect up top. They cover your ears completely and are quite comfy. I'd post a picture but I'm doing this from my phone. But I think you might have a good idea of what I'm talking about
Vic Firth Steve Jordan Signature Sticks
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishgopop007 View Post
I think the ones that drumtechdad linked look very practical, has anyone else used these before?

Many thanks, George.
Yes, I like them, but can only recommend them conditionally now. They sound far more natural than typical plugs or muffs, on electric guitars, there is nearly no difference, behind a kit, the sound is a little less sharp, out front is pretty much the same.

However, the accuracy comes at a cost of moderate attenuation, playing for more than an hour or so, loudly, will be more than these are intended for. You also have to be aware of the fit. Jammed in tight, they cut the sound pretty well. MIne tend to work loose, so things get gradually and insidiously louder until I screw them back in. Singing will work them out very quickly. Get the foamies or shooting muffs for day-in-day-out use, and use the ER20s for critical listening or live shows.

I say this after having developed serious tinitus and high end loss in my left ear after a six hour practice this December. I noticed ear fatigue, switched over to muffs, but it was too late.