DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1081  
Old 03-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Pkaneps's Avatar
Pkaneps Pkaneps is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 348
Default Re: Travis Barker

I'm not impressed with his drumming. Everyone I know who doesn't play drums loves him, and defend him to death everytime I say something like, "Eh, he's ok at best." Which is exactly what I think. I prefer listening to Erik Sandin (NOFX).

Hell, I'd rather listen to Meg White.
__________________
"A wise man is wise because he knows that he knows nothing."
Reply With Quote
  #1082  
Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 PM
MisterMixelpix's Avatar
MisterMixelpix MisterMixelpix is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 625
Default Re: Travis Barker

Overrated by most of his fans.

Underrated by most "musicians".

Entertaining drummer.
__________________
As flies to wanton boys, so are we to the gods. They kill us for their sport.
Reply With Quote
  #1083  
Old 03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Biscuit Biscuit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: In a padded room.
Posts: 427
Default Re: Travis Barker

This not intended to start a war with anyone but i'd rather watch paint dry than watch Travis Barker play drums.
Reply With Quote
  #1084  
Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Pkaneps's Avatar
Pkaneps Pkaneps is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 348
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
This not intended to start a war with anyone but i'd rather watch paint dry than watch Travis Barker play drums.
That's exactly where I was going with that, but I was afraid to say it.
__________________
"A wise man is wise because he knows that he knows nothing."
Reply With Quote
  #1085  
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Ethan01's Avatar
Ethan01 Ethan01 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 358
Default Re: Travis Barker

Oh. My. God. At the animosity here... i'm embarrassed by the people here who call themselves "musicians" talking like this about another. Is it mostly out of jealousy, ego, or what...? And I'm a little confused, there was a thread about Meg White where people stood up to her, well, who's going to stand up for Travis? I guess I'll begin...

Travis is an inspiration. His dying mother told him to "do what he likes best", so he decided to make a living being a drummer. His style is exactly what Blink182 needed. Listen to songs like "adam's song", "first date", "the rock show", etc. He's a great recording artist, multiple #1 hits with Blink. When playing live, he get's the energy pumping. His style is fast, furious, punchy. And without him, Blink182 wouldn't be where they are. Soooo.... ok I'm done now =)
__________________
My kit pics
Reply With Quote
  #1086  
Old 03-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Pkaneps's Avatar
Pkaneps Pkaneps is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Millville, NJ
Posts: 348
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan01 View Post
Oh. My. God. At the animosity here... i'm embarrassed by the people here who call themselves "musicians" talking like this about another. Is it mostly out of jealousy, ego, or what...? And I'm a little confused, there was a thread about Meg White where people stood up to her, well, who's going to stand up for Travis? I guess I'll begin...

Travis is an inspiration. His dying mother told him to "do what he likes best", so he decided to make a living being a drummer. His style is exactly what Blink182 needed. Listen to songs like "adam's song", "first date", "the rock show", etc. He's a great recording artist, multiple #1 hits with Blink. When playing live, he get's the energy pumping. His style is fast, furious, punchy. And without him, Blink182 wouldn't be where they are. Soooo.... ok I'm done now =)
That's just like..your opinion, man.

I mean, I'm not saying he's this terrible drummer who should never have set foot behind a kit. I'm just saying that I don't like listening to him. I was one of the ones defending Meg White, too. Yeah, it's simple and easy, but I would rather listen to her play than him. Just my opinion.
__________________
"A wise man is wise because he knows that he knows nothing."
Reply With Quote
  #1087  
Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Friend Friend is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 9
Default Re: Travis Barker

I didn't like Travis Barker. He just seemed to be a consummate of Caucasian rhythm.
Then I saw a video of him rudimenting (Yes.) it up on a snare.
My opinion stands, but I respect him.
And that's really all this is about isn't it?
Reply With Quote
  #1088  
Old 04-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,648
Default Re: Travis Barker

I really like Travis' playing with Blink. I barely listen to punk rock, but I enjoy Blink thanks to Travis. He's got some cool, fresh ideas. On the recordings he (or all of them) lacks tightness, time and groove though IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #1089  
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 PM
CCdrummer CCdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 356
Default Re: Travis Barker

I thought his grooves on "adam's song", and "feelin this" were pretty creative.
Reply With Quote
  #1090  
Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Drums101's Avatar
Drums101 Drums101 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 366
Default Re: Travis Barker

In my opinion this guy is the worst most overrated drummer of all time. No groove or feel all chops and he sounds terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #1091  
Old 04-06-2010, 10:59 PM
CCdrummer CCdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Posts: 356
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums101 View Post
In my opinion this guy is the worst most overrated drummer of all time. No groove or feel all chops and he sounds terrible.
You sir, are a troll.
Reply With Quote
  #1092  
Old 05-05-2010, 01:40 AM
buehnerm66 buehnerm66 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: Travis Barker

Okay, I read about half of the pages of this discussion and couldn't take it anymore, so please excuse me if I repeat someone else point of view, but someone has to adequately support and explain Travis Barker. I will attempt, and probably fail, to do so.

Technically speaking, he's good. He's not amazing. He's not a human Metal machine gun, he's not a crazy time signature playing jazz virtuoso, he's not a marching corps rudimentalist. But what he does, he does better than most, and in my opinion, he invented it. Pop/punk is a genre defined by bands like Blink 182, Sum 41, etc. Whether you like these bands is of no consequence to the discussion right now. My point is, Blink 182 is defined by Travis. Pop/punk, to a majority of the musician and nonmusician public, is defined by Blink 182. See where I'm going with this?

Vinnie Colaiuta is one of my favorite drummers, as is Dave Weckl. But they sound like each other. Sure there's a noticeable difference in playing styles, but you could imagine swapping Vinnie for Dave and vice versa and the song still working, sounding similar. What would Blink sound like with anyone but Travis? It would not be Blink.

What I'm trying to say is that few other drummers out there have so clearly and distinctly created their own sound that it polarizes the entire drumming community. He has more original style in 4 bars of a Blink 182 song than many drummers have in a whole album. That's why I like him.
Reply With Quote
  #1093  
Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 AM
jonescrusher's Avatar
jonescrusher jonescrusher is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 2,186
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buehnerm66 View Post
Whether you like these bands is of no consequence to the discussion right now. My point is, Blink 182 is defined by Travis. Pop/punk, to a majority of the musician and nonmusician public, is defined by Blink 182. See where I'm going with this?

You have to accept that music is entirely subjective. Whether someone likes the band Blink 182 is entirely relevant to the discussion given, as you say, that Barker defines the band: if you don't like the band, you're not going to dig what he does.

You're clearly a big fan of him and the band and so you hear his playing as a cut above the rest; a big fan of Vinnie or Dave will do the same and dispute your assertion that the two are interchangeable. The producer who hires Vinnie isn't doing so because Dave wasn't available...
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 05-05-2010, 02:51 AM
buehnerm66 buehnerm66 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
.. a big fan of Vinnie or Dave will do the same and dispute your assertion that the two are interchangeable. The producer who hires Vinnie isn't doing so because Dave wasn't available...
I am a big fan of both Vinnie and Dave, probably more so than Travis. What I'm saying is in this day and age Travis is the more all around unique player. He has a persona and style about his playing that is synonymous with him, Blink 182, and pop/punk. Not many other drummers, with the exception of John Bonham and others, have so influencedm or daresay created, a genre.

When you think pop/punk, you think Travis.
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:06 AM
Ian Williams's Avatar
Ian Williams Ian Williams is offline
Rebel
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Venezuela.
Posts: 3,182
Default Re: Travis Barker

Regarding Travis, I respect the fact that He is a drummer and does the job, but there is something on his playing style that does not catch me, for some reason...

When I think of punk, it comes to my mind: Paul Cook - The Sex Pistols, Paul Headon - The Clash, Darren H.Peligro - Dead Kennedys.
__________________
Thank you so much...
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:24 AM
buehnerm66 buehnerm66 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default Re: Travis Barker

I may be splitting hairs here, but I feel there is a definitive difference between punk and pop/punk. Travis is pop/punk. Anyone agree? Or should I just shut up?
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:34 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,864
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buehnerm66 View Post
I may be splitting hairs here, but I feel there is a definitive difference between punk and pop/punk. Travis is pop/punk. Anyone agree? Or should I just shut up?
Works for me. I not a huge Blink fan by any measure, but what I've heard, I wouldn't neccessarily define as "punk" in the same vein as the Pistols, Clash, Dammned, Black Flag et al. Pop punk seems fitting I guess. But it sells well and keeps them all employed, so hats off to the lot of them.

As for TB, he does what he does well. That's enough for me. I couldn't care less if he is better/worse/on level pegging to the bloke next to him. He is the "best" Travis Barker there is.....what more can he do?.....what more should he have to do?
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: Travis Barker

I believe Travis Barker is a fine drummer. I came upon his playing through teaching when students would ask me to teach them his grooves. What I learned was that Travis has a wonderful knack of incorporating elements of ethnic rhythm into his pop/rock grooves. As a teacher I found this very beneficial because it led to discussions with students as to where a rhythm came from. I have the Blink 182 book and find it very useful in my teaching. A teacher must be hip to what is happening today so I listen with interest to what Travis does.

I see no real reason why many people bag him out. Often it seems petty. Perhaps born of jealousy. It is true he is no Buddy Rich, but then who is? The fact remains that Travis Barker plays well, inspires legions of new drummers and does what he does very well. He may be the most successful drummer since Ringo at bringing people to drumming. That is something to be proud of. And it is something to be respected.

I tip my hat to Travis Barker.
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 05-05-2010, 04:15 AM
ace76543 ace76543 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 162
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buehnerm66 View Post
I may be splitting hairs here, but I feel there is a definitive difference between punk and pop/punk. Travis is pop/punk. Anyone agree? Or should I just shut up?
You're right. Punk is anti institution and has quick handed drummers full of licks. Pop/punk is defined by travis barker. end of story.
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,648
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buehnerm66 View Post
Vinnie Colaiuta is one of my favorite drummers, as is Dave Weckl. But they sound like each other. Sure there's a noticeable difference in playing styles, but you could imagine swapping Vinnie for Dave and vice versa and the song still working, sounding similar.
I strongly disagree.
Reply With Quote
  #1101  
Old 05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Swiss Matthias's Avatar
Swiss Matthias Swiss Matthias is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 2,648
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I believe Travis Barker is a fine drummer. I came upon his playing through teaching when students would ask me to teach them his grooves. What I learned was that Travis has a wonderful knack of incorporating elements of ethnic rhythm into his pop/rock grooves. As a teacher I found this very beneficial because it led to discussions with students as to where a rhythm came from. I have the Blink 182 book and find it very useful in my teaching. A teacher must be hip to what is happening today so I listen with interest to what Travis does.

I see no real reason why many people bag him out. Often it seems petty. Perhaps born of jealousy. It is true he is no Buddy Rich, but then who is? The fact remains that Travis Barker plays well, inspires legions of new drummers and does what he does very well. He may be the most successful drummer since Ringo at bringing people to drumming. That is something to be proud of. And it is something to be respected.

I tip my hat to Travis Barker.
Good post, +1 from me.
Reply With Quote
  #1102  
Old 05-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Funky CrÍpe's Avatar
Funky CrÍpe Funky CrÍpe is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cork city soon to be Montreal :)
Posts: 943
Default Re: Travis Barker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Matthias View Post
Good post, +1 from me.
yeah, no matter what you think of his drumming or who he is influencing, he is influencing. I think people have beef with him because many guys could grow up learning his stuff, and when they are in their 20's realise what help learning jazz or latin would have had. But amidst all of these people, you are sure to have you're gems, fair play to the guy
__________________
"Pop videos are porn for cowards!"
Reply With Quote
  #1103  
Old 05-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Markie Markie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7
Default Re: Travis Barker

All you guys tries to say that he isn't that great. Of course not, there are better drummers.
But if you look closer to the famous drummers like Travis Barker, Will Champion, Joey Jordison or Lars Ulrich, they have got famous because their bands are famous. All other excellent drummers don't play in sucher famous bands so they aren't as famous.
Reply With Quote
  #1104  
Old 10-13-2010, 11:32 PM
ENRICO ENRICO is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buenos Aires ,Argentina
Posts: 769
Default why there are so many travis barker haters???

he is not my favourite drummer but he's made a big contribution to punk music. he's very hard working, never talks trash about anybody, he is not arrogant at all. he only does what he loves to do and it's very successful.

I just don't get why there so many people talking trash about him, is not his fault that some idiots say that he is the best drummer ever
Reply With Quote
  #1105  
Old 10-13-2010, 11:39 PM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,864
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

Who hates him, other than dimwitted youtube posters? I have no issue with TB....not my fav. but I like what I've heard.

Have you read this? http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=2187

There's enough sensible people here who can give a balanced appraisal of Travis' playing.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #1106  
Old 10-14-2010, 12:12 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

I've never seen anyone say they HATE him, here. I don't hate him. I don't hate anyone. I don't particularly like Travis Barker's playing. If he inspires you...great! We're all individuals with individual tastes.
Reply With Quote
  #1107  
Old 10-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,794
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

I actually like Travis Barker, I don't really care for Blink 182 though, Pop-punk's not really my thing.
__________________
My Kit
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #1108  
Old 10-14-2010, 12:39 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,417
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

I can honestly say I have never heard him play. Why you may ask? Because I am not into Punk music. There are plenty of good drummers out there in many genres but I can't get past the music. all the metal and death metal etc etc etc. Play me a nice melody without screaming into the mic and I may listen. Now you know why.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #1109  
Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 AM
caddywumpus's Avatar
caddywumpus caddywumpus is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Portland, OR USA
Posts: 5,589
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

No hate for the guy here, either...

Now, as for the music he plays, it's not my favorite.
__________________
Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting Lawwy

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Reply With Quote
  #1110  
Old 10-14-2010, 12:45 AM
RollingStone000's Avatar
RollingStone000 RollingStone000 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: What do you care, you're not my mom.
Posts: 655
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

Three reasons why I'm not a fan (I don't hate him either):

1: The fanboys/girls (my biggest hangup).
2: He gives more of an effort looking like he plays drums, than actually playing drums.
3: Every time I see a pic of him he's always pouting his bottom lip. Can't stand that all.

But otherwise, the cat can play. He can hold down a groove and keep time.
__________________
"This message was paid for by the Committee to Re-invade Vietnam" - Jack Donaghy; 30 Rock
Reply With Quote
  #1111  
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,187
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Who hates him, other than dimwitted youtube posters?
Yes indeed. Certainly can't fault the cat for being successful. And as for Youtube, there's enough hate there to blow up the world 10 times (at least) over.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #1112  
Old 10-14-2010, 12:56 AM
MikeM's Avatar
MikeM MikeM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,694
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

I like the way he plays and approaches drumming quite a bit. I love his enthusiasm. Unfortunately, Blink 182 has been pretty hard for me to take as a band - that saccharine-sweet singer is more grating to me than cookie monster vocals.
Reply With Quote
  #1113  
Old 10-14-2010, 01:12 AM
Drums&Beer's Avatar
Drums&Beer Drums&Beer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 318
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

I officially don't hate TB. I officially do not like Blink 182, and I hate to think that there's people out there that think they're punk rock. The Minutemen, Minor Threat, the Dead Milkmen, The Stooges, Television, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Devo, Cramps, The Clash, & the Ramones and all the other greats that you'd never or rarely hear on the radio. Those are bands that I think of when I think of punk rock. No one debates whether TB can play. He keeps good time, is a very effective showman but for me that's a moot point because I'd never buy a Blink album. In my mind Travis Barker is this generation's Tommy Lee.
Reply With Quote
  #1114  
Old 10-14-2010, 02:22 AM
jungle's Avatar
jungle jungle is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 73
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post


2: He gives more of an effort looking like he plays drums, than actually playing drums
true:) but i like him do
Reply With Quote
  #1115  
Old 10-14-2010, 02:44 AM
onemic's Avatar
onemic onemic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 50
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

I don't think all the haters "hate" him so much as they hate his blind legion of fans. Most of his fans that say he's the greatest drummer ever don't even know of other drummers besides him, they simply like him because he's TB. He's truly this generations Tommy Lee.
Reply With Quote
  #1116  
Old 10-14-2010, 03:38 PM
andSometimesY's Avatar
andSometimesY andSometimesY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 203
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

Yeah, I'd have to agree with the majority here. I don't hate him, just the ignorant following that surrounds him ( I don't even "hate" them per se). He's a creative guy for punk rock, a good showman, and he has some endurance. Can't fault him for that. I do think he is a little bit arrogant, though. I've seen a couple youtube videos that imply arrogance but I can't say for sure.

My opinion: Good drummer, but certainly not the best or one of the technical virtuosos.
Reply With Quote
  #1117  
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM
diegobxr's Avatar
diegobxr diegobxr is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montevideo, Uruguay
Posts: 834
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

Enrico, for quite some time I've been asking myself the same thing..

I like Blink 182 a lot, I grew up listening to their albums, and I think that Travis is a great drummer. He has a lot of energy and makes a lot of non-drummers say "whoa, look at the drummer".. I think that's cool.

Now, years later I am listening to Rush, Billy Cobham, Buddy Rich.. No doubt they're better drummers, but IMO that's not a reason to bash on TB.

Anyway.. unfortunately there's a lot of envy out there.
Reply With Quote
  #1118  
Old 10-14-2010, 04:07 PM
DSCRAPRE's Avatar
DSCRAPRE DSCRAPRE is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Packer Country
Posts: 786
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

Simply put people hate Travis Barker because he's popular.

I hate Travis Barker because he's popular. That and the double handed cymbal bashing.

By "popular" I mean that so many people think that he's the god of drums because his overall mediocre skills are largely exaggerated by the way he behaves while playing. For example, you go on to almost any Buddy Rich video and you'll see them. People saying, "best drumr evr? no way, this fag would get his gay ass pwnd by Travis Barker!!!!1!!!". So you go to one of Barker's videos and see him having a seizure while playing eighths on his crashes, like it's the hardest thing in the world to do. Then you look at the comments and it's just page after page of people denouncing any religion they may have previously had and declaring Travis Barker their only lord and savior.

Point is, if he wasn't popular, than people would have no reason to hate him. When he's shoved in your face every single time you try to do anything drumming related on the web, however, that's another story.

That felt good.

EDIT: I'm not saying any of this as an attempt to suggest that I'm personally better than Mr. Barker, I'm not.
Reply With Quote
  #1119  
Old 10-14-2010, 04:26 PM
alparrott's Avatar
alparrott alparrott is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wenatchee, WA
Posts: 4,163
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

I don't hate Travis Barker. I just don't care about him all that much. No more than I hate Joey Jordison or Meg White.

Ironically, all of them play on at least one song on my iPod playlist, and those are decent songs, and I like them.
__________________
Al Parrott
"Jus suum cuique"
-------------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #1120  
Old 10-14-2010, 04:29 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: why there are so many travis barker haters???

I'll add another observation...

I've been judging the local GC Drum Off this year and I'd say that at least 2 out of 3 drummers competing, emulate both his look and his style. He obviously inspires a lot of kids and is an influence. However, all 3 judges, all different age ranges and personalities, agree that this has been a drag to watch. These guys all play very much the same and it's pretty boring...at least for a drum competition. The few that have stood out and done their own thing have been the consistent winners.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com