DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 04-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Default Ghost notes

I love my ghost notes, but what is the point of playing them, especially when you are playing with a loud band.

Thanks for your help
Old 04-24-2010, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Ghost notes

Well the only reason to play them under that circumstance is to probably keep you in time? I would assume you play them louder if you have to play everything else louder. What type of music is it?
Old 04-24-2010, 10:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

You shouldn't underestimate the presence of ghost notes. They give feel to the beat, even if you can't hear them. They're more sensed than heard. Like anything they can really be an asset, or a detriment. Overused, they can lose their magic. But in the right places yes yes yes. As far as your comment of everything you do being heard.... It's the vibe you're going after. A great feeling beat. You want them to feel it, rather than hear it, right?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
You want them to feel it, rather than hear it, right?
Yes, you explained it way better than me.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Re them being drowned out, you'll probably find that someone out in front of the band hears more than you do I think part of it is where you're sitting that gives the impression it can't be heard. I love doing fills using my High hat a lot for say triplets and when I'm playing them it seems they're "lost" under the noise a lot of the time but then if you're listening to another band and the drummers does the same you'll hear them cut through quite clearly.
If you're being drowned out alltogether thats a different story and for gigs you need to look at putting the kit through the PA and if you're recording those ghost notes will come through loud and clear !
Old 04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Good post Witterings...
If the focus is on being heard, I'm betting the groove is suffering.
Even if the audience can't hear the ghost notes, they can see you playing them. That combined with the feel that ghosts give you is really enough. You have to be supremely confident that all you need to do is lay down a great feeling beat. The rest will take care of itself. Don't be concerned if people are hearing you. Drums can always be heard, believe me.The drums should never be the loudest thing on stage anyway, generally speaking, even in metal IMO. It sounds better IMO for the drums to be behind a few things in the mix as opposed to being the most prominent instrument in your face. Drums are not a lead instrument. Sometimes a whisper is more powerful than a roar.

I remember when I first got back into drumming after taking 20 years off to learn how to make money. I was at an open mic jam. The drums were set up behind one of those horrid plexiglas enclosures for recording. Yuck. Well, I was determined to be heard, so I played extra loud. What a dumb thing that was. I was told by more than a few people that I totally ruined the vibe. That's when I started recording myself.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:04 PM
Gold Member

Larry's got it; I would add that if you're playing a linear groove they help keep your time together. It's leaving them out that's hard!
Old 04-25-2010, 07:18 PM

They make everything just groove and sound great.

Try playing the Purdie shuffle without ghost notes and it won't sound good.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assuredlonewolf View Post
I love my ghost notes, but what is the point of playing them, especially when you are playing with a loud band.

Thanks for your help
totally agree with the other posts. its all about the feel. the feel in your playing will be felt by your band mates, and then the group feel will go out to the audience. and if everything is working, it'll mean a great show for everyone.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Silver Member

(Good) Ghost notes are like a good bass line. They won't be noticed when they're there, but when they're gone, they sure as heck are missed.

Listen to the Lido Shuffle by Boz Scaggs, Components of Four by The Junction, and Waiting on the World to Change by John Mayer. 3 totally different styles, all 3 drummers ghost like crazy in those tunes. Imagine the feel of the songs if the ghosts arent there? Totally different tunes, entirely different feel.

Point is, ghost notes arent necessarily heard all the time, but they are definitely felt. Try ghosting on a groove when performing with your band, and then take them out. Notice the difference. Grooves are just so much tighter with ghosts, just try not to use them too much, they get redundant quickly.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:04 PM

Playing a 6/8 groove with ghosts in a "new" band on one of their "established" tunes - they said, wow, love what you're doing, it sounds so different (and better) than it used to. I listened to a recording of the previous drummer on the same song - no ghosts and it sounded flat, the feel just wasn't the same at all. And yeah, they're ghost notes but, if you can't hear them, maybe it's time for a hearing test!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

Even in loud music they provide texture and a dimension to your groove that is very noticeable. I probably overdo it...but my left hand is always moving on the snare - even if too softly to hear sometimes.

Your bandmates will take notice and shift how they play when you start utilizing them.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM

Drums101 summed it up, they can make a very boring beat into a groove instantly
Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
You shouldn't underestimate the presence of ghost notes. They give feel to the beat, even if you can't hear them. (snip to save space).... It's the vibe you're going after. A great feeling beat. You want them to feel it, rather than hear it, right?
+1 Fully agree it is about feel.

Steven
www.THTST.com
Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

An example of a great groove using ghost notes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzs1FehYOA

Now...imagine the groove without ghost notes.