DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 AM

Default Aquarian Modern Vintage on bass drum? Help!

Hello :)

I just got (for free) two new Aquarian Modern Vintage heads with felt strips for my new Tama Starclassic Performer B/B 20/18 bass drum.

How do you like them? Does someone use them on bass drum? I'm by no means jazz drummer. I play some lighter stuff, but I like fairly tight kick sound.

Is it possible to get short and round sound out of it? Or maybe I should sell them? They're pretty expensive.

Do you think it's a good idea to use one on a batter side and the other on the resonant side?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Aquarian Modern Vintage on bass drum? Help!

no one? come on, somebody must have used them!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Well I'll chime in even though I've never used MV's for bass drum.

The Modern Vintages are single ply medium to thin heads that are primarily aimed at those trying to get a traditional jazz sound. I've used them on a few of my snares with good results for the most part. I've also played a house set at a jazz club that had some MV;s on the toms and bass drum. They are in my opinion some of the best Jazz heads available. Aquarian is also a fantastic drum head company that makes great products and stands diligently behind them.

A 'round' sound is possible but that description is geared more toward a jazz tuning and a 'tight' sound doesn't necessarily go hand in hand unless you are just describing the tuning. For instance on a traditional bebop set, you'd have resonant toms/bass drums in 12,14, 18 sizes. If you are playing ala Elvin Jones/Max Roach etc. the 18 functions like another tom and is tuned relatively high as opposed to the pop/rock/funk role of a bass drum which is tuned often just above wrinkles or at least low. Therefore a resonant, round sounding drum is good for jazz (or low volume acoustic, old school Motown) and a Modern Vintage would work. If you are going to use any dampening besides maybe the traditional felt strip down the side portion of the bass drum head, it's not going to work out as well.

My feeling is from what you've said in your post, you'll end up trying too hard to tune and or dampen the head in an effort to turn it into something else. If you are looking for a tight, dampened sound you'd be much better off with a SuperKick I or II, or for less of a dampened sound with the Full Force batter heads. The Regulator is an excellent and popular bass drum resonant head to mate with either of them assuming you want a ported bass drum head.

You won't find many Modern Vintage heads on any drums that are played outside of the jazz idom but if you do, they will be ringy compared to typical bass drum sounds.
Why not just sell the MV's on eBay and then pick up some heads more suited to what you really want?

HTH

Jim

BTW: I've bought and used all of the bass drum heads I mentioned here except for using the MV's as a bass drum head.

Jim Martin Music

Last edited by Shedboyxx; 04-10-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

I use modern vintage on snare but never on anything else but my take on these is you wont like them, it's a very thin single ply milar with a special thin coating. They open up the drum to a state where you dont hear the head but the drum. You dont get that plastic sound with them, actually they are absolutely something else that you never heard. Even Remo Fiberskyn or Evans etched J1 do sound like conventional mylar heads, Modern Vintage are closer to real calf skin.

I wouldn't mind trying them since my bass drum batter head of choice is now Aquarian Full Force 1 coated. I get this vintage open sound that is calling the groove.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-25-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
I use modern vintage on snare but never on anything else but my take on these is you wont like them, it's a very thin single ply milar with a special thin coating.

Very thin? They come in two thicknesses. Sounds like you got the thin, not the medium. The mediums are quite substantial. The coating does not seem thin at all, unless they thin out the coating for the thinner head.

Wondering if we are using the same heads... GeneZ