DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 PM
14vision 14vision is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17
Default Gretsch Renown Color ?

Recently picked up a set of Gretsch Renown's that I was told was a commerative kit that there was only one made. I am having trouble verifying this and determining what color and possibly year they were made in. It was back when option to have mounted floor toms was available. Kit includes 8,10,12,14,16 toms, 14X5.5 snare and 22X18 bass drum.

Looking for some help from all the great Gretsch minds on the forum in determing if this is true one off, what real color is and what possible value is for the shells?

Thanks and appreciate all feedback.

Doug
Attached Images
   
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:34 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,272
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

How old is it and what did you pay.? I'm afraid to ask almost. What does it say on the badges. I don't think it is a current color.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:44 PM
14vision 14vision is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

I am trying to figure out how old but I was told less than 5 years. I paid 1200$ for all the drums.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2010, 11:52 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,272
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

That is a little high for 5 year old Renowns. New ones can be had for that. I think he pulled your leg about them being commemorative unless the badges say so. Gretsch is pretty clear about marking it's commemorative sets. They look good but maybe you can send a photo to Gretsch INC and get an age estimate.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 AM
14vision 14vision is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
That is a little high for 5 year old Renowns. New ones can be had for that. I think he pulled your leg about them being commemorative unless the badges say so. Gretsch is pretty clear about marking it's commemorative sets. They look good but maybe you can send a photo to Gretsch INC and get an age estimate.

I don't see any new renowns close to that price. I am seeing 3 and 4 piece shell packs costing more and i have an extra tom and snare. I am considering selling to get a same kit with 2 floor toms instead of rack mount and in satin black or cherry burst.

Where are you seeing the deals on these?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2010, 12:44 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,272
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

I'm seeing four piece for about 1500. 12 Just seems high for 5 years old if indeed they are 5 years old, but if your are happy. cool.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Artstar's Avatar
Artstar Artstar is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles/Tijuana
Posts: 1,579
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

That is high for 5 year old Renowns, however, they do have the REAL Gretsch bass claws, which you don't see on any other make anywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:15 AM
14vision 14vision is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artstar View Post
That is high for 5 year old Renowns, however, they do have the REAL Gretsch bass claws, which you don't see on any other make anywhere.
I am not sure they are 5 years old as that is what I am trying to find out. Is there any way to find out year of any Gretsch shells?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:23 AM
WayneWickman's Avatar
WayneWickman WayneWickman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: WI
Posts: 212
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Looks like Autumn Burst, but a darker fade. Great color.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:31 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,272
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Unfortunately Gretsch doesn't date or put serial numbers on the Renown shells. That look like what some companies call Tobacco Fade.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-2010, 03:11 AM
Artstar's Avatar
Artstar Artstar is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles/Tijuana
Posts: 1,579
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14vision View Post
I am not sure they are 5 years old as that is what I am trying to find out. Is there any way to find out year of any Gretsch shells?

Thanks
14vision, remember, these are made by a company in Taiwan, although some of the nicest drums around, they come from whomever Kaman uses.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 PM
KONA KONA is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 828
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

I would say $1200 for any year Renowns is a good deal if there is no damage. The drums will probably get only better with age. They look like nice drums = beautiful finish. The finish looks a lot like the Tobacco fade in the Catalina line.
You have the extra rack tom (8") too.

I would be extremely happy with those drums. The Renowns are well made.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
jpkmcgretsch's Avatar
jpkmcgretsch jpkmcgretsch is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 13
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

The Renown it you have is from the original Renown series, which Gretsch offered from 2003 - 2006. These drums feature a gold badge with black font, classic Gretsch BD claw, 9020 style tom brackets. Some of the early Renowns even had triple-flanged hoops.

In 2006 Gretsch made some modifications/upgrades to Renown. These drums feature a black badge with gold font, modified BD claw, 9025 style tom brackets and non-drilled (for tom mount) bass drums.

The original Renown series was produced in Taiwan. The current Renown series is also produced in Taiwan.

The kit you have appears to be a color prototype sample kit. Therefore, it may be the only one or one of very few sample kits in the same color. The original Renown was offered in Autumn Burst, but that color had a deep brown hue at the shell edges and BD hoops. The images of your kit appear to have very dark brown, or even black, shell edges/BD hoops.

The kit you have appears to be in very good condition and capable of all the quality sound characteristics that Renown drums possess. $1,200.00 for an excellent sounding and looking kit....that's a super deal in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 PM
TheAnalogKid's Avatar
TheAnalogKid TheAnalogKid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 156
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Could be either a Natural Burst/Natural Fade or Tobacco Burst/Tobacco Fade. I'm not certain though.
__________________
My 360* kit
My "Jungle kit"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 AM
14vision 14vision is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkmcgretsch View Post
The Renown it you have is from the original Renown series, which Gretsch offered from 2003 - 2006. These drums feature a gold badge with black font, classic Gretsch BD claw, 9020 style tom brackets. Some of the early Renowns even had triple-flanged hoops.

In 2006 Gretsch made some modifications/upgrades to Renown. These drums feature a black badge with gold font, modified BD claw, 9025 style tom brackets and non-drilled (for tom mount) bass drums.

The original Renown series was produced in Taiwan. The current Renown series is also produced in Taiwan.

The kit you have appears to be a color prototype sample kit. Therefore, it may be the only one or one of very few sample kits in the same color. The original Renown was offered in Autumn Burst, but that color had a deep brown hue at the shell edges and BD hoops. The images of your kit appear to have very dark brown, or even black, shell edges/BD hoops.

The kit you have appears to be in very good condition and capable of all the quality sound characteristics that Renown drums possess. $1,200.00 for an excellent sounding and looking kit....that's a super deal in my book.

Thanks for the valuable input...

Doug
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-22-2010, 03:36 AM
Meat the beat Meat the beat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 388
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

nice kit mate, I dont know much about this later gretsch stuff but I know it sounds good.
Nice bike too!!
__________________
DW Collectors, emerald stain, brass h/w, Zildjian.
Gretsch 70's, red marble,
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Drums&Beer's Avatar
Drums&Beer Drums&Beer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 318
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Hmmm. I had a Catalina Birch kit from around 2003 or 2004 that I sold with that exact finish. Gretsch called it Vintage Burst.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-22-2010, 02:46 PM
pearlygates's Avatar
pearlygates pearlygates is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,026
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Not sure what to tell you on your questions, but they do look sweet!!!
__________________
DRUMLESSWORSHIP DRUMMERS UNION
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM
KONA KONA is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 828
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

I hope you don't mind 14vison.
Since the topic of Kaman Music came up here I thought it may be of interest to those that don't already know - to have a look at this link. It's a nice-to-know....for those of us that like this "history" stuff.....interesting:

cut-n-paste to browser:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Fender+buys+Kaman:+acquisition+creates+$700+millio n+player+with...-a0172381291

If your drum finish is a 'prototype' ....I'd hang on to them. You not only have a beautiful drum kit = sound & looks, but it may be unique. A very nice looking drum kit. And I know that photos don't do justice to the finish.........they're alway better live.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
nicotine25's Avatar
nicotine25 nicotine25 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 275
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

The finish you have is "Vintage Burst". It was originally a Catalina Birch finish but was expanded to the Renowns as a prototype. See my Gretsch Cat Birch in vintage burst below.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"To get your playing more forceful, hit the drums harder"...Keith Moon
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 PM
ConvertedLudwigPlayer ConvertedLudwigPlayer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 99
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

I like it. A lot!!!!

It appears to be something rare and unique, which is hard to come by in mass produced kits. I have a Renown in Blue Burst.

I can understand your desire to have deeper floor toms. but I would have a hard time parting with that kit, especially since you have the matching snare and 8" tom.

Try posting an ad on Craigslist to trade someone for a Renown kit in the size/colors that you are interested in. You may not have to pay anything, and would likely find a taker or 2 I would think.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-24-2010, 05:47 AM
14vision 14vision is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17
Default Re: Gretsch Renown Color ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotine25 View Post
The finish you have is "Vintage Burst". It was originally a Catalina Birch finish but was expanded to the Renowns as a prototype. See my Gretsch Cat Birch in vintage burst below.
Thanks for your input. Do you have an idea what year these were made?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com