DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-19-2010, 03:19 PM

Default Advice on Type of Sticks

Hi.

I play on Sunday in church and problem is the drums drown out the rest... I can't really play softer with sticks so I thought about getting some Rute sticks so I can hit normally and get a quieter sound.

Now... I'm quite confused as to which ones to go for.
I originally thought about going for the Vic Firth Rute (original one), but it seems that I can't find it in music shops around... They only have the 202, 303, 505, 606 etc.

I am struggling to decide if I should definitely go for the original ones or the 505, or go for something like a Tala Wand.... I don't have a clue how any of them will sound despite reading the descriptions... any advice maybe from someone who has used them will be great.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Advice on Type of Sticks

I played in church not too long ago. I am a metal drummer who has played two live gigs. I have never even considered gospel or hymns. I just emulated some softer drumming. I kept it all to the hat, snare (crossing sticking on the rim), and bass. Gospel is really suposed to simplistic drumming. You know, bass on 1, snare on 3, quarters on the hats. Also, I had the hats close together and usually played them closed.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:30 AM

Well, I think volume will depend greatly on your technique, as well as the cymbals and drums/heads you are using.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
I don't have a clue how any of them will sound despite reading the descriptions... any advice maybe from someone who has used them will be great.
Walk into your local store, grab 5 or 6 different pairs of rods, blasticks, brushes......or whatever else you think you'd like to try, wander over to a snare drum and have a play around. The ones that you think sound the most applicable to the sound/volume you're trying to acheive are the ones to buy.

As a general rule, the thinner the rods, the quieter the sound produced. But also, the thinner the rods, the less durable. Play 'em all and figure out what you like.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will see what I can do. Thing is most the music shops around here don't really allow one to go and play on their things...

It's not really 'gospel' music as I know it, it's praise and worship, so it's upbeat songs but the dums are just too loud.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
Thing is most the music shops around here don't really allow one to go and play on their things...
I have never heard of this. Smile, ask nicely and they should let you go to town mate.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 04-20-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

I've had great experience with Regal Tip Blasticks. They're soft plastic, so they can be extremely quiet, but if you whack them they'll give you a lot more volume. They're also a lot more durable than any wood rutes I've tried.

http://www.regaltip.com/phpshop2/?pa...b740cc2c57b2b&

Those plastic "sound rings" have a tendency to fly off the stick after a while, but they are still perfectly usable without them. I've used my Blasticks for months after losing those rings.

The only downside is that you get virtually no rebound from them, but unless your technique heavily depends on rebound, it won't be a problem. They're also very light, so even though you have no rebound to help you, you won't wear yourself out.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks, those do look quite nice...
Would these be fairly similar: rute 505 http://www.vicfirth.com/products/images/RUTE505.jpg
Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

I use Pro-Mark Hot Rods, and they have served me well in lower-volume acoustic church settings. I also recommend trying a very light maple stick, such as Vic Firth's SD5 Echo (a very delicate, quiet, light stick) or Pro-Mark's Bill Bruford SD4. You get the feeling and response of a stick in a much more controllable weight and package, and after a while it feels very comfortable.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 PM

Yes hot rods are great for stuff like that. Anyone see Dave Grohl for Nirvana's MTV Unplugged? I think he used lightning rods, but it's still the same concept.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:00 AM

i use zildjian heavy jazz
and vic firth x5a
those are great man!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:56 PM

I agree...hot rods are the way to go. I play every sunday for a church and that's all I use.