DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 AM

Default FINALLY! Pics of my crappy kit

We'll I've been around here for a while and keep alluding to the fact that I have some sort of makeshift drum set. Well I finally just decided to take some pictures with my phone and get it over with.

Keep in mind I have quite a bit more hardware, cymbals, etc, I just change the setup based on where I'm playing, the setlist, and my mood. That being said I'll end up having a ton of different pictures of different setups ;)

Enjoy, comment, etc please! And they are bad quality because they were taken with my 1 megapixel phone!

Specs of this particular picture:
Sound Percussion (don't laugh...) 8 Piece Set
14" HHX Evolution Hats
8" HH Splash
16" AAX Ozone
15" AAX X-Plosion
16" AAX Dark
18" HHX Evolution
22" Zildjian Medium Ride

EDIT: Pic at bottom

Enough! pictures:

Last edited by Jessiah331; 05-30-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 AM

Default Re: FINALLY! Pics of my crappy kit

Be proud of your drums! No matter how good or how bad, just be grateful you can play them and nobody can take that away.

Wow, that sounded inspirational.
Vic Firth Steve Jordan Signature Sticks
Old 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFo View Post
Be proud of your drums! No matter how good or how bad, just be grateful you can play them and nobody can take that away.

Wow, that sounded inspirational.
It did! Nah I'm just raggin myself for not saving up for a better kit before buying this one!

I'm proud of it, because I've paid for every bit of it (except the ride in the pic)
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

I would work on those tom angles. Here's one of my setups.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Well, you have an Icon rack (looks like), that could well last you the rest of your life. Now, you just need to upgrade the drums hanging off the rack. Rome was not built in a day. Patience, it will all come together, in due time.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Have to agree with harryconway here, i mean you've got some nice cymbals, what looks to be a half decent rack, so all you could do with is replacing the drums themselves, maybe look on ebay for something like a used set of sonor force 300's or mapex meridian birch/maple's?? Anything that produces a sound you dig to be honest :] In the meantime just have fun with the kit you have and play your heart out man :]
Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

The only part of that kit that isn't awesome is the drums themselves, which isn't too bad an upgrade to make. You've got a great rack (um...), some nice cymbals, the works.

Just remember, an okay drum kit with awesome cymbals is always better than crappy cymbals with great drums.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:36 AM

Thanks for all of the replies.

About the tom angles, I've tried the more 'flat' approach, and honestly its just more comfortable for me to have them angled a bit more toward me. I think a some of it is the angle of the camera shots too.

And a background about the set. I know its a crappy set, hence the title of the thread. I know that it's nothing to brag about, but heck, they are drums, and its what I use. My dad bought me a (I'm gonna keep my dignity and not name it) 100$ drum set when I started playing about 6 years ago. About 2 years ago the shells started to split, all the hardware was falling apart, etc. At the time I had just moved out 1k miles from home, and didn't have a job, but I still needed a set to play at church. I took my graduation money (mind you it wasn't a lot) and bought what is now my kit, off craigslist for only a couple hundred dollars.

I know its no professional set, but I needed one and had a budget of 300$. Since they don't sound terrible (nothing like my japanese kit) I thought as I saved money I'd upgrade everything else. I bought all Pearl hardware and all nice (used!) cymbals.

Since, I've been saving up (have a bit now) and just waiting to find the right kit for me, which I haven't yet. Next time I upgrade (maybe this summer) it will be for good, not some intermediate upgrade.

That, my fellow drummers, is why I have a cheap set of shells :)
Old 04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Why the shame? Being a good player has almost nothing to do with your kit. As long as the shells are round and the hardware stays together then no problem.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Why the shame? Being a good player has almost nothing to do with your kit. As long as the shells are round and the hardware stays together then no problem.
Yup. And the round part is about the only good thing about those cardboard shells!

Kidding. Yea they hardware will last me a lifetime because its all Pearl :) At least I hope.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:47 AM

I like the cymbals. And, as long as you can tune, any drums can sound pretty good. Especially with a nice cymbal sound enhancing the drums.

If your looking for a kit, look for a used one. Its a buyers market right now and you can find nice deals on starclasssics and masters on ebay.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
+1 from me JC. Jessiah, I suggest you click on this link: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8061 Read the thread from the start. Once you do that, you'll view your kit in a whole different light.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:12 AM

I do remember seeing that thread when it was started. I mean, I realize it's not the worst kit, but I still like to give myself a hard time!

I look at it this way, I barely make over min. wage, and have to pay my own way through living and college, so it's a miracle I have what I do have! And I'm proud of my playing, and where I'm at with it!

At some point though, I'll be graduated and rolling in the money (at least that's what my professors tell me) THEN I'll have my Pearl Reference!
Old 05-30-2010, 12:39 AM

Update, and a bit better quality pic:

-New heads (Aquarian Perf II over Evans G2)
-New HHX Evolution hats (14")

Old 05-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

I see a well thought out and playable drum kit. The word crappy doesn't come to my mind.
Nice kit!
I would be proud of it.

Re, the Performance II, Why did you have to use dampening on those heads? I record with those heads because they have no ring.
Just an observation, I like to tune mine slightly tight to get the best recording sound from them.
I did play them live for a while but I didn't care for them in the live setting. To dead!
Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Hey, don't feels o down about the quality. If you're a good player, you can make the drums sound good.

I play Exports, and although they're not bad, they could be better. Nothing like a Masterworks set, but that doesn't mean I'm ashamed of my drums.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:22 AM

As far as dampening, I retuned them and didn't have to, I had just slapped the moongels on for temps. However, the 12" in the middle has some nasty overtones that I couldn't tune out, so that one keeps a gel close to the edge (so it doesn't kill TOO much resonance.)

I keep the top heads a bit tighter, and the bottoms a bit looser (according to the tuning bible) for a nice punchy attack. They actually, for cheap wood, produce a pretty nice tone.

Although a warning to anyone even considering these drums: I've noticed that the wood is starting to crack a little where the screws for the tension rod holders are, on the inside of the drum.

Honestly, it is a crappy kit, but I'm proud of it. I spent hard earned money on it, and each of the cymbals (which I'm especially proud of!) One day I'll be graduated from college, and have a better paying job. That's when I'll start looking at nice high end kits!