DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 PM

Default Recording with Electron Roland Kit

I have been playing drums for about 9 years now and I have had my electronic kit for about 1 year. Now I am trying to record beats and get them on the computer to edit them and stuff, but I don't know how. What kind of cord do I need to get recordings from the kit to the computer? Also am I supposed to record on the set first and then transfer it to the computer or plug it in to a computer and then record it directly to the computer? I'm kind of lost with all of this stuff. Also, my laptop is a pc, so i don't have garage band on it, but i do have a mac desktop in my house away from my drum set. What other programs, maybe similar to garage band, would be easiest to record with and create tracks? I guess my question is what would be the most effective/simplest way to do this , without spending too much money? Thanks for the help
Old 04-11-2010, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Recording with Electron Roland Kit

Before you try to do any of this you will need to educate your self on both MIDI and Digital Audio recording. You don't have to get too deep (although it can get that way) but knowing how those technologies work is key for what you are trying to do.

What will end up happening is you will either take an audio output or a MIDI out connection from the Roland brain and connect that to an Audio/MIDI interface. the interface is necessary no matter whether it's a PC or Mac. Most interfaces come with some kind of recording software so you don't need Garageband although you could use that as well. One of the most popular inexpensive models is the Mbox that comes with a version of Pro Tools.

Start looking for some free tutorials on the web regarding the above subjects I mentioned. Then you will have a clearer idea of what to buy and how to do what you want

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 04-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

For the simplest way to do it:

Midi cables

A midi to USB converter (roughly $20)

And then just pick a midi recording program that fits your budget, of which I'm sure there are some free ones. Midi technology really hasn't changed dramatically in years, so even an older program would work.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:16 AM

thanks. I got a midi to usb cord and I tried mixcraft, but it isn't working for me and it costs like 75 bucks for the whole thing. Do you guys know any good programs that are inexpensive or free?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:23 PM

i recorded a few songs on my friends Roland TD3 drum kit, and it was quite simple..i just plugged cable from his module (3.5 audio cable that is plugged in ''out'' in module and in empty channel in his mixer) directly into my 3.5 input on my laptop, and recorded it via Adobe Audition 3...adobe recognized it as a mic, but that wasn't a problem, it still recorded it..hope i helped you, this is my first post, hope i didn't go off topic :p