DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Default how to get drum mics...to a computer for editing?

Hi...my band and I have been asked by our school to represent them in a music show, now it requires a recorded peice...now i have looked into this before but have had no sucsess :(

My problem is that I know how to mic up the drum kit...but how do I get what sounds I produce to my computer for editing? I understand that I would need some sort of audio interface? or mixer? but how do you get the cables into a computer through an interface, are they usb cables?

And I have a budget of 130 for mics but im not sure what the interfaces do? so i cant put a price on that...Any help as to what goes were in the order of micing would be very helpful indeed :)

cheers Tom

Not good enough for a DW kit yet...Give it a few years! :P
Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM

Default Re: how to get drum mics...to a computer for editing?

Hi Tom!

You are absolutly right - you need an audiointerface. They come in many forms but most of them are connected to the computer either via USB or firewirecables. If you are on a windowsbased computer it will propably be USB. The audio interface converts your sound to numbers that the computer can understand and work with (they're called AD converters)

When you're looking for an interface you have to know how many inputs you want - that depends on how many microphones you want to use - you'll need one intput pr. microphone of course :-). Make sure that the inputs on the interface are microphone inputs (XLR connectors) and NOT lineinputs (jack). Lineinputs are for things like synthesizer etc.

An audiointerface is also refered to as a soundcard

Softwarewise there is a lot out there - Im' using Logic Pro and Pro Tools. Logic is Mac only though.

Hope this will help you get started :-)

Morten
Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 PM

If you are already running the mics into a mixer you can use a simple stereo to USB interface like this one: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-BEH-UCA202-LIST

It's like $30 and works very well. I use it all the time.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 PM

ah yes thanks guys...i also popped into my local drum store, and they said the same thing, im looking into a IOMIX U82S..and im looking at some Gatt Audio drum microphones anyone got any input on those? and software im still a bit iffy on, what do you recomend (bearing in mind i really dont have to much to spend at this point.)

cheers Tom

Not good enough for a DW kit yet...Give it a few years! :P