DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Default My band is heading into the studio - Updated May 25

Gotta generate hype wherever we can, eh? Apologies in advance for the self-pimpage ;-)

edit: May 25: The first single is released! see this post for details: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...6&postcount=34

edit: Feb 25: Video blogs of the studio trip found at www.youtube.com/luckylewmusic

PRESS RELEASE - Feb. 07, 2010

Lucky Lew heads into the studio to record their 2nd album

Rock band Lucky Lew from Bergen, Norway have spent the last two years perfecting their 2nd album. They're finally ready to record it, and this coming saturday the quartet hops on a plane to California to spend a month at RadioStar Studios working with star producer Sylvia Massy producing a rocking new album.

Lucky Lew - Left to right: Barillion (guitars), Svein Knutsen (bass), Villa:K (vocals), Eskil Sæter (drums)

After hearing a selection of the songs and sound Lucky Lew have produced, the American record producer was quick to offer her services and invit the band to her studio. And so the band leaves for USA to record their second album; to a small town called Weed in northern California.

The star producer have previously worked with bands like Tool, Foo Fighters, R.E.M., Bjork, Johnny Cash, Smashing Pumpkins, Animal Alpha, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Elton John and Skunk Anansie to name but a few.

RadioStar Studios - Weed, California.

"We are extremely proud of the songs we are bringing across the Atlanic," says singer Villa:K. "This is our best work to date, and we are really looking forward to presenting every one of these 12 tracks to the world".

Their music has come a fair way since their debut album was released in 2006. Guitar player Barillion says: "We have gone from a progressive sound to a much more straight and melodic rock n'roll. However, even though the stylistic direction may have changed, the Lucky Lew sound is still there. We know that many people may be surprised to hear this album, but we are still Lucky Lew"

The album is being released on Big Noisy Records in August, but the first single drops as early as May. The title has yet to be decided on, and the band says that they simply have too many tracks that have single potential. However, they believe the answer will give itself during the recording process.

However, until that time the band will be working hard in the studio for the next month; in RadioStar's Studio A, an old vaudevillian theatre from the 1920s.

Studio A, an old vaudevillian theatre.

Read more about the band and listen to promo samples at www.myspace.com/luckylewmusic and the band's web site at www.luckylewmusic.com. Also, be sure to follow us on Twitter; www.twitter.com/luckylewmusic

Last edited by Naigewron; 05-25-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: My band is heading into the studio - Press release

Good luck! Lykke til!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Platinum Member

Wow!! What an opportunity. A whole month of recording in a cool environment with a talented producer. That's dream stuff. Band photo looks superb (I'm obviously attracted to certain elements of the picture) and I'm stoked for you guys. What an exciting phase in your life. I await the results with eager anticipation and wish you good vibes through the journey. Whooohooo!!!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Band photo looks superb (I'm obviously attracted to certain elements of the picture)
Yeah, always look forward to the promo shots of this band.....good looking guitarist, bassist and drummer.......oh, wait.....were you talking about the girl KIS??........hadn't noticed her!!

Congrats Naige.....pimping acceptable here. Looks like it'll be very cool indeed. Look forward to hearing the tracks.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
were you talking about the girl KIS??........hadn't noticed her!!
Hmmm PFG, you're either very very lucky in life or need an eye test desparately LOL. Either way Naige, the band's got a great vibe (I especially like No:3 track), but you've got to admit, a bit of eye candy goes a long way in industry promo.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hmmm PFG, you're either very very lucky in life or need an eye test desparately LOL. Either way Naige, the band's got a great vibe (I especially like No:3 track), but you've got to admit, a bit of eye candy goes a long way in industry promo.
Hey, we'll take any help we can get :-)

Thanks for listening, always appreciate your views.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Gold Member

Naige,

Love to hear that is great news! And yes, pimping in this case it totally acceptable, cannot wait to hear it all when it comes together. Enjoy the work in Calif, hopefully you will not get too much rain since we have been experiencing a little more than normal! Best to you and the band in travel and collaboration!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS View Post
Im happy for you, dont like your music, and find it strange a big producer would be interested in you. (I dont mean to offend)

I'm assuming this thread should be "closed" considering other peoples attempts to plug their or more acuratley their sons band have been. (which i find grossly unfair)
Interesting take on this, why should it be closed do you reckon? For mine, it's perfectly fair for an established member to tell the rest of us what he's up to. The way I see it, the closed thread that you're referring to was closed as the OP had a distinct agenda, that being to plug the band and that was all, other than giving us tour dates and asking for free accom. he had nothing else to say. Naige is a contributing member here, comments on many threads that have nothing to do with plugging his band......I think this affords him the right to talk about his music. Please elaborate.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 02-09-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

I agree, PFOG. The situation is only the same on a surface level - the nuances are entirely different. Naigewron is one of the gang and "going to the studio" is a standard forum theme. The other guy was just engaging in a more polite form of spamming.

Well done, Naige! Nice symmetry in the promo shot - two spunks and two crazies :)

An exciting time for you!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the support, guys.

Departure is two days away. I'm struggling trying to concentrate on my day job right now :-)
Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANIMALBEATS View Post
This man and his son just may have updated us on how the tour was progressing and how their acoodation was settled (perhaps with posts made by thoes who accommodated them, detailing their stay and any funny events that may have occured) leading them to become valued members. This to me had scope to make a great thread and may have been humorous and interesting.
He may well have kept us updated....only he knows. But I think the fact that he only posted in a couple of threads that related directly to his son's tour, spoke volumes. There was no other posts on any other topic.......same can't be said for Naigewron, he hangs out here all the time. He's not asking for, or selling anything, merely sharing some news with DW that he's quite rightly excited about.

Personally, I'm not bothered by the approach that the other bloke used, but clearly someone was, hence the thread was closed. But I do think a guy who's been here for ages, posting on the boards that he's about to record in the US with a 'name' producer, is entirely different.

No 'gang mentality' in my post Animal......I just dont' see the parallels that you've drawn, between the two.

Cheers
Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Don't have to agree with me, my friend. That was never my intention. It's clear we see it differently, I think we're best off leaving it at that hey.

All the best mate.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Thanks for the support, guys.

Departure is two days away. I'm struggling trying to concentrate on my day job right now :-)
Hey Naige, only 1 day to go, whooohooo, and for the record, I can see exactly what this producer sees in your music. The band has a great vibe, obvious song forming skills, a great look and highly competent players. I'd love to record my drums in such a wonderful acoustic environment. Let those babys breathe!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

Good luck man! I'm really happy for you!
Old 02-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member

We've started uploading video blogs! Keep your eyes peeled to www.youtube.com/luckylewmusic

Also, some pictures of the studio and the amazing studio kit:

The drums! Note the cowbell mounted on the longest counterweighted boom stand I could find :)

Driver's side view and a nice view of the studio room (a converted theatre from the '20s)

The desk

The stage where we're set up for drum tracking

Just a few of the amps we have to our disposal

Last edited by Naigewron; 02-20-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

New video blog uploaded: Setting up and recording drums (obviously the most interesting and important part of the process :-):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ3ikNNbB3c
Old 02-26-2010, 06:12 AM

Default Re: My band is heading into the studio - Now with pics and videos!

That's looks like a real nice studio and props on getting the chance to work there I hope it works out well for ya'll, but I'm wondering; What's the purpose of what looks like a subwoofer mounted and turned facing your kicks reso?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodMaybern View Post
That's looks like a real nice studio and props on getting the chance to work there I hope it works out well for ya'll, but I'm wondering; What's the purpose of what looks like a subwoofer mounted and turned facing your kicks reso?
That's a homemade subkick, basically a speaker element turned into a huge microphone for capturing extreme low-end sounds.

It's been a common studio tool for many years, and Yamaha has made it into a product: http://www.yamaha.com/drums/drumprod...l?CNTID=544671
Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Cool Kit. Keller maple, I suspect. Those things are freakin' everywhere, including in my practice room! I like that style of floor tom Rim - basket style. I thought they quit making them. Used to have them on my 1st Keller kit and they worked great.

Nice big room, must be a blast recording in there! Hope it's all going well - looks like quite the adventure!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Platinum Member

Hope it's going well Naige. I like the look of the mic treatment very much. Nice attention to cymbal mics and a big diaphram job to capture the room sound out front. My latest demo studio experience has me reduced to 3 mics, now badly placed due to early reliance on close mics that failed. Arrgghhhhh. I bet the resulting sound from your recording will be superb. It just looks soooo right!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hope it's going well Naige. I like the look of the mic treatment very much. Nice attention to cymbal mics and a big diaphram job to capture the room sound out front. My latest demo studio experience has me reduced to 3 mics, now badly placed due to early reliance on close mics that failed. Arrgghhhhh. I bet the resulting sound from your recording will be superb. It just looks soooo right!
Man, I can't even begin to describe how good this room and those mics make me sound :-)

You might start to get some small sense of the recorded drum sound from the bass tracking video blog entry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Akb5p_SRVY), but that's still just the raw mix being picked up by a crappy camera microphone. I'm very much looking forward to hearing how it all sounds together when we get the mixing process underway in a couple of weeks.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Platinum Member

Nice. Great open voice to the kit with that lovely natural verb from the room. The finished sound will be just perfect, I'm sure. Keep on enjoying this experience. Soooo wish I was recording there!
Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Platinum Member

Just posted some of my thoughts, experiences and hindsights (is that a word?) on the drum recording process on my MySpace blog, along with some fresh pictures:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...ogId=530089143
Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Just caught the video on Myspace. Looking good Naige!
Old 04-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, updates. Let's see...

We've been home for about three weeks now, and the final mixes were delivered to us about a week ago. This album is sounding awesome! It's straight ahead rock & roll, exactly like rock & roll should be

Right now we're in the process of cutting down one of the tracks to a single edit (damn radio and their short attention spans, haha), and getting the whole thing mastered. We also have a designer working on a cover design (which is almost complete) and a management company getting ready to pimp out our stuff to every single media outlet in the history of this country. We're also thinking about doing a video, but that hasn't been decided yet. We'll see if there's a market for a music video out there.

So, a ton of work remaining still, the hardest of which will be to tirelessly promote our stuff wherever and whenever we can. Hopefully, we can generate some hype and get the ball rolling!

I'll gather up all the video blogs we've posted as well:

Part 1: The journey from Bergen to Weed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJz6zkTS1-4

Part 2: Drum tracking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ3ikNNbB3c

Part 3: Bass tracking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Akb5p_SRVY

Part 4: Guitar tracking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeC1VruGTfk

Part 5: Vocal tracking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS3LVq-mwNY

Part 6: Chatting with producer Sylvia Massy and engineer/co-producer Rich Veltrop about the album, music, band and recording process. This video also contains a couple of snippets from the upcoming single :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKTxddPrAH0
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

sweet. how many week(s) until you have songs up? i hope it goes well for you!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
sweet. how many week(s) until you have songs up? i hope it goes well for you!
Do you mean up on MySpace or the like? Not sure about that. We might just throw together a medley of snippets as an album preview or something, or throw a couple of completed tracks up. We'll see :-)

The single will be out in May, so you'll definitely get to hear it then, if not sooner.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

yeah myspace man. yeah a medley sounds good, like 30-40 second snippets is a very good idea. +1 full track for good times. good luck with it man, i bet it sounds sweet!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

An update for those who have been asking for samples!

We've got a teaser for our upcoming single "Desert Angel" up on MySpace, and we've also uploaded it to YouTube with some studio footage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5SVuLSEACA

I also threw together a "drum version" with clips from the drum tracking sessions for the song. Maybe that's a more interesting video for us drummer, I don't know ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMS6yBDb-s

The single is out on may 18, so look for that at your nearest digital music download store. The album is called "Beauty In Aggression" and is out on September 6 :-)
Old 04-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

A truly great sound Eskil. You should be super proud of your efforts. The studio has captured the natural energy of the band. So important in your genre. Very very impressed. I really hope it sells well for you so you can go & do some more stuff.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:14 PM

So, I have a question which possibly may show my ignorance. The kit and amps you used. Are they not your own stuff or is equipment that you've rented while you're away? I got the impression from the thread that it perhaps wasn't your stuff?

Reason I ask is I would be seriously excited about getting my drums on a trip like that. They should be able to see the world outside of London too ;)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So, I have a question which possibly may show my ignorance. The kit and amps you used. Are they not your own stuff or is equipment that you've rented while you're away? I got the impression from the thread that it perhaps wasn't your stuff?

Reason I ask is I would be seriously excited about getting my drums on a trip like that. They should be able to see the world outside of London too ;)
That's not my kit, no. The studio had tons of gear to choose from, so that was never a problem. In addition to that, the studio is halfway around the world from where I come from (Norway), so bringing my own kit would have been a massive expense and hassle.

Sure, I'd love to have used my own drums, but from an objective standpoint, the kits they had there are of better quality than mine. In addition to that, the engineers are also used to the house kits, meaning they know how to mic them to get a great sound from them

The only gear I brought with me were sticks and pedals. Our guitar player brought his main guitar. Other than that, everything we used was supplied by the studio (several guitars and basses, several amps, full drum kit, microphones, etc)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
A truly great sound Eskil. You should be super proud of your efforts. The studio has captured the natural energy of the band. So important in your genre. Very very impressed. I really hope it sells well for you so you can go & do some more stuff.
Thanks a lot, that's definitely a good description of the sound we are going for.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

Our first single is out! Look for the song Desert Angel in your local digital download store today

For under $2, how can you possibly go wrong? The release includes the full version of the single Desert Angel and an exclusive single-only version of the song To Be Ok.

Some links for your convenience:

iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/no/album/des...le/id370323525
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4773341&sr=8-7
Play.com: http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Downlo...l/Product.html
Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Our first single is out! Look for the song Desert Angel in your local digital download store today

For under $2, how can you possibly go wrong? The release includes the full version of the single Desert Angel and an exclusive single-only version of the song To Be Ok.

Some links for your convenience:

iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/no/album/des...le/id370323525
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4773341&sr=8-7
Play.com: http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Downlo...l/Product.html
Congratulations Naige. How cool is it to finally have the single out on release. I wish you every success with it.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Congrats Naige. What a buzz! Not my style but you guys are pumping out some good energy there. Huge kit sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
yeah myspace man. yeah a medley sounds good, like 30-40 second snippets is a very good idea. +1 full track for good times. good luck with it man, i bet it sounds sweet!
That's the thing ... how much to give? I thought it was impossible to rip MySpace music files but Google tells me it's possible. It would be good to find a format that was unrippable so full tracks could be provided.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Hey Neige. Dug the Angle Tune...Sounds really good, Vocals,sound wicked..im going to cop it........good luck man..
Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Congratulations Naige. How cool is it to finally have the single out on release. I wish you every success with it.
It's a strange feeling to get it out there. Definitely one of those "oh, so this is how it feels" moments. Now it's "only" a matter of promoting the hell out of it :-)
Old 05-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Congrats on the studio work. Great sound, videos and photos. And one of the classic screen names of all time.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
And one of the classic screen names of all time.
Oh, you decoded that, did you? Haha :-)