DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM

Default Help with Iron Cobra pedal and drum hoop!

I am having this problem where my iron cobra is grinding into the hoop of my bass drum. I am left with what looks like saw dust on the floor and pedal after playing. Does anybody know why this might be. Do they sell rubber sleeves that go over the hoop and then the pedal is connected over it? If so what would be the name of it? I tried searching for one but dont know what it would be called. Any help or links would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Help with Iron Cobra pedal and drum hoop!

I've found this on ebay that might help you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HoopGard-bass-dr...item25573dcccd

Or else you can always go to an hardware store like Home Depot to find small adhesive rubber pads that you could stick to your hoop.

I think your problem can be easily solved with small adjustments to the pedal itself. On your pedal there's a round type of screw that acts as a kind of lever for the pedal attachment. You can adjust the pressure by getting this tighter, maybe it will help the pedal to stay in place, instead of getting it a little loose, which would explain the grinding on the hoop. Look for it in your user manual, if you still got it.

Or else, get an acrylic drumset with acrylic basshoops, that helped me.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 PM

What you're looking for is something like this or this.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathartic_j View Post
What you're looking for is something like this or this.
I have the Tama protectors and they don't work all that well. The adhesive is not strong and the Iron Cobra clamp is pretty aggressive. They Tamas work OK with a Pearl Demon Drive but the adhesive needs to be stronger.
Zildjian & Sabian
Porter & Davies
Roland TD30KV
Old 04-01-2010, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
I have the Tama protectors and they don't work all that well. The adhesive is not strong and the Iron Cobra clamp is pretty aggressive. They Tamas work OK with a Pearl Demon Drive but the adhesive needs to be stronger.
I should have been more clear; I wasn't endorsing either of those products, but trying to give the original poster an idea of what he should be looking for. I've used the Tamas before without too much of a problem, though it admittedly wasn't with an IC pedal. I do wonder if problems people have with them stem somewhat from the way they tighten their pedals and then playing them with the wrong angle (making the pedal "walk" and stripping the guard/hoop). On the other hand, I did have the adhesive weaken on its own, so it may just be an issue with the product.

On a totally unrelated note, seeing "Montana" as your location got me stoked; I grew up in Bozeman!
Old 04-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crippleewe View Post
I am having this problem where my iron cobra is grinding into the hoop of my bass drum. I am left with what looks like saw dust on the floor and pedal after playing. Does anybody know why this might be. Do they sell rubber sleeves that go over the hoop and then the pedal is connected over it? If so what would be the name of it? I tried searching for one but dont know what it would be called. Any help or links would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Are you sure you aren't tightening the clamp too tight? And if so have you checked that you haven't tightened the hoop clamp memory look too tight?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
audiotech

Any type of hoop protector will work if it and the pedal is connected to the bass drum's hoop properly. I use the Tama protectors with my Iron Cobra pedals without any problems. I also use Yamaha rubber hoop protectors and I also believe Gibraltar makes some. I tend to like the Yamahas better than the rest.

Dennis
Old 04-01-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathartic_j View Post
I should have been more clear; I wasn't endorsing either of those products, but trying to give the original poster an idea of what he should be looking for. I've used the Tamas before without too much of a problem, though it admittedly wasn't with an IC pedal. I do wonder if problems people have with them stem somewhat from the way they tighten their pedals and then playing them with the wrong angle (making the pedal "walk" and stripping the guard/hoop). On the other hand, I did have the adhesive weaken on its own, so it may just be an issue with the product.

On a totally unrelated note, seeing "Montana" as your location got me stoked; I grew up in Bozeman!
Understood, just putting in my 2 cents on personal experience. To add to this I plan on keeping a set of the Tama protectors around.

Bozman to Florida? WOW. Hope you're not a Bobcat fan!!! ;-)
Zildjian & Sabian
Porter & Davies
Roland TD30KV
Old 04-01-2010, 10:41 PM

Its not just iron cobra's that do it. Granted i have an iron cobra, but i just went to guitar center and asked for a little hoop protector pad and got a Tama one for free. My hoop was already beat up a little bit prior to that as well so i will most likely try and find a new one anyways. But they do make specific little 1.5-2" pads to put on the hoop to prevent that.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
Understood, just putting in my 2 cents on personal experience. To add to this I plan on keeping a set of the Tama protectors around.

Bozeman to Florida? WOW. Hope you're not a Bobcat fan!!! ;-)
Yeah, it's pretty different, but that was the goal; my family moved to Bozeman when I was two months old, and I lived in the same place through graduation from high school. Don't get me wrong, the stability was nice, but by that time I was ready to try something different, and it made sense to do it when going off to college. But I still love Montana, and could absolutely see myself living there again someday.

I take it you're closer to Missoula. :) My dad has worked at MSU for over 20 years, so I'm a fan by association, but not a particularly dedicated one.

</hijack>