DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 AM

Default Alesis DM5 kit upgrade options

I have an Alesis DM5 electronic kit I bought off e-bay for $300.00 new. It's the older style with the rubber pads not the newer one with the actual drum heads. Other than the option of sell it and start from new, I'm more inclined to upgrade it a piece at a time as cash allows. So I have a couple of questions. If I buy other mfg's pads, will I need all new mounts? If I would buy Roland dual zone pads will they work with the DM5 brain as long as I use a splitter for the cable? These seem to go for a pretty reasonable amount on E-Bay and seem readily available. Will Pintech / Hart / Roland Mesh Head Pads work with the DM5? Are the Alesis Rubber Pads the exact same as the Ion and will they have a very short life? I guess that is it for now. I'd like to hear from anyone who has successfully upgraded this kit. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Alesis DM5 kit upgrade options

i haven't successfully upgraded the kit, but i'll try to help anyway. ;)
first of all the DM5 should work perfectly fine with drums in general.
i use it for live kick triggering all the time. i use multiple different kinds of heads/triggers (acoustic trigger/electric kick), so the heads will be no problem. i would say the pintech/hart heads will feel nicer than the rolands. that's only my (biased) opinion though.

the only real problem is of course the dual-zone snare.
the dm5 doesn't support dual zone triggers. there is a possibility you can get around this with a Y splitter cable though, as i think you guessed, so that should be fine.
in the worst case scenario (if the Y splitter didn't work), you could always sell the dm5 and get a td3 instead. dm5's hold their value quite well because lots of drummers like to use them as a cheap/robust trigger unit live (specifically metal).

personally i would pick drums/heads by hart or pintech. but that is only because i think that roland are overpriced. i don't own any harts/pintechs myself, but they do feel quite nice (i would get pintech out of those two).

here is a thread that might interest you in case you do end up needing to get a td3: http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39629

i haven't tried using the dm5 with a splitter cable (i literally only use it for a live kick trigger), but like i said, worst thing that can happen is you swap one module for another for a little extra money.

good luck!