DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Silver Member

Default jeez. how the hell. damn sticks!

brought a pair yesterday had about 2-3 hour playtime and one has split down the butt. am i in the right to demand a refund/replacement ?

bearing in mind im not a metal-er and do not hit hard my normal break is from rim shots.

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: jeez. how the hell. damn sticks!

Hell yea, take the receipt and respectfully demand a new pair. That's unacceptable. Just be cool, but firm.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

k thanks just making sure i know my rights :P but the owner f the shop is an form of donkey if you follow my drift.

DW drums
ZILDJIAN PAISTE SABIAN cymbals
VIC FIRTH sticks
Old 03-03-2010, 06:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I would go in with an attitude like, "I have an issue I was hoping you could help resolve. I purchased these sticks, and they broke within the first hour of playing, obviously defective. I feel as if I should get a replacement pair. Would you agree?"
If he is a good businessman, he will replace them and get a refund from his supplier who ultimately is responsible.
If he is not a good businessman and refuses, that's a good time to practice getting a little testy and demanding what you are entitled to. Squeaky wheel gets the oil. No manager wants a visibly upset customer tainting other's opinions about his shop.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Pioneer Member

try some Vater sticks, I find these to be the most durable of the brands out there. I've played Vic Firth for years, but find their sticks to chip easily now, especially the tips. I don't care for Promark's tip designs, but they are similar to VF in terms of toughness. I had a pair of Super Jazz Vater sticks last over a year and a Sweet Ride pair (the thinnest ones they make) last about as long (the tips are worn now so I don't use them on gigs). Vater uses a denser hickory so, yes, the sound is heavier, but they now offer some thinner sticks that are worth trying.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
try some Vater sticks, I find these to be the most durable of the brands out there. I've played Vic Firth for years, but find their sticks to chip easily now, especially the tips. I don't care for Promark's tip designs, but they are similar to VF in terms of toughness. I had a pair of Super Jazz Vater sticks last over a year and a Sweet Ride pair (the thinnest ones they make) last about as long (the tips are worn now so I don't use them on gigs). Vater uses a denser hickory so, yes, the sound is heavier, but they now offer some thinner sticks that are worth trying.
I have to agree with Cymbalrider on this also. Been using Vic Firth for over 15 years and recently switched to Vaters. I like their durability and purchased more. However, was recently given a pair of xcel from the owner of the company and they really do last longer with that striker on the end.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 PM

Lol I'd take them back what type were they
Old 03-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

Im With Cymbal rider too................At GC a while back they had a stick special on the Vaters,so i tried them out.They Vaters feel really good in my hand,and something about the wood, its just a really nice smooth stick .and they have been really tough!!..On another note about sticks breaking.For you younger cats that break alot of sicks.When i used to go thru them at a high rate,it dawned on me to LOWER my Hi Hats made a HUGE difference............Vater sticks are great!!!!!! Worth a look,
Old 03-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

As far as the warranty thing goes, while heads and sticks do have warranties I rarely see them as anything worth following up on.

I've demanded a replacement of an Aquarian head once because it split from the collar after five minutes (at a gig, no backup... ugh), but other than that, never.

What kind of stick was it? It's worth noting that maple and oak sticks can break in half with one rimshot if you hit it in the wrong place.

As far as quality goes, I'll never buy Zildjian or Vic Firth sticks again due to the ongoing QC issues I've noticed.

I currently play ProMark hickory and maple sticks but if my types aren't in stock I'll gladly reach for Vater or DW as I've found them to be of equal quality.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

Definitely ask for a new pair. I beat the sh*t out of my cymbals and my Vic Firth Novas have lasted me more than a month (although they'll be falling apart any day now). A few hours? That's just getting a bad product.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

I had a gig a while back where my sticks broke during the first song, about halfway through.

They weren't good sticks, but they definitely should have lasted a LOT longer.

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM

Not as bad as my story;

I thought I would try a pair of Chad Smith's 'Funkblaster' sig. sticks. I liked the weight and they felt comfortable in my hands. I got home and proceeded to play.

I hit the snare less than 10 times and the stick broke in half. I don't hit to heavily when practicing but I do play rimshots.

I took the stick back to the shop, but they couldn't refund. Their excuse was 'everyone has different technique, and everyone hits the drums in different ways'. Have you seen Chad Smith play; he hits really REALLY hard. anyway, thats the last time I ever buy Vater sticks.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM

I too have my fair share of VF stick chipping on the tip and stick not lasting as long as i thought they will last. Have been using for many years. As i gig every night, i dont really have the 'courage' to try out new sticks as im already so used to my sticks. Since so many of you guys are encouraging using Vater sticks, except Phil Brodermann, any recommendations for me? BTW im using a VF 7A. Anyone used this before and switched to Vater or any other brands? Quite fed up with VF too.