DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-24-2010, 11:59 PM

Default Need an opinion please...

I have a Sonor Force 3007 Maple kit with a 22x18 bass. Currently I have the stock resonant head on which does not have a port hole. I have an evans emad on the batter side that needs a changing. I play mostly un-mic'ed with the way it is set up now and can't complain about the sound I'm getting.

I'm looking to replace the batter side and resonant side. I have no problems with the emad but am hearing good things about the aquarian super kick II paired with an aquarian regulator on the reso side. I'm considering buying a mic kit, but that will be further down the road.
Am I better off staying with the stock reso and getting another emad? Or will I get just as good or better of a sound with the Aquarian combo? Maybe I should consider a different combo all together?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Need an opinion please...

It couldn't hurt switching up heads. I recently changed from a clear Remo PS3 to clear SK2 and I really like it. No complaints with the PS3 at all I just wanted to try some thing different. The PS3 kind of had a more open sound and the SK2 has a more focused sound, to my ears. Honestly I think it may be something you have to buy and then try.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Is their much of a volume difference in the SKII over the emad?
Old 03-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

I can't really say. I've never owned an EMAD head so I've never really had the opportunity to fiddle around with it and find a good tuning. I've only had experience with my friend's kit that has Evans heads all over (EMAD on bass), but he's a dedicated DrumDial user. From the descriptions though, the EMAD's a 1 ply head and the SK2 is a 2 ply head. So I'd imagine the EMAD is more "open" which you could interpret as louder. However you could probably tune the reso head appropriately and get the SK2 to really sing as well.

Again, one of those buy and try things.