DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM
TFITTING942

Default The Stooges and still no Rush.....Really???

Does anyone have any real notion as to why Rush is not, and probably never will be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame? I don't get it.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 PM

Default Re: The Stooges and still no Rush.....Really???

To be fair, The Stooges have been around longer than Rush...
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
Does anyone have any real notion as to why Rush is not, and probably never will be in the Rock and Roll hall of fame? I don't get it.
They will be. No question.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 AM

Neither King Crimson or Yes have been inducted. Nuff said.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

I find the whole rock an roll hall of fame to be a bad joke.

There are numerous articles out there detailing how even though there is supposed to be a board that decides, that all actual decisions come down to one single person, who decides on her personal taste, and nothing else. The list of "rock" bands who've not got in is huge compared to the number of pop acts that are inducted.

Even the museum itself is not all that great. It's like $20 to get in, and they barely have more than the average Hard Rock cafe on display. But they spread it out, and add a lot of fluff, so they can claim it's 3 floors of memorabilia on display.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:37 AM

Yeah, I mean really its a joke to me. Just like the grammys or any other clown award. Rush is in my presonal music hall of fame, and many others too. Thats where it really counts, reaching people, not being revered by the so-called establishment.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 AM
Silver Member

Abba in, KISS.....not in...hmmmmmm

The Stooges are true originals and should be there, but KISS.....what you think man? It's called THE "Rock and Roll" HOF not the pop hof. ABBA......poopy doopy hoopy woopy yah yah yah!

"LONG LIVE ROCK"! (be it dead or alive) The Who

K

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 03-23-2010, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

Are touring + active bands ineligible to be inducted? Maybe that's why?
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBadd View Post
Abba in, KISS.....not in...hmmmmmm

The Stooges are true originals and should be there, but KISS.....what you think man? It's called THE "Rock and Roll" HOF not the pop hof. ABBA......poopy doopy hoopy woopy yah yah yah!

"LONG LIVE ROCK"! (be it dead or alive) The Who

K
ABBA 140 to 500 million records sold, depending on the source
Kiss 100 million sold
As for it being a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, somebody better tell Run DMC. Rap. Just not right.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
Yes and King Crimson should be in, no doubt. But Rush not being in the RRHOF is crazy. The revolutionized the power trio.

I don't get it either.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:15 AM
Jeff Gordon #24

The R&RHoF is paranoid of Prog-rock bands. I heard sometime, somewhere their reasoning about their "anti-progressive rock" stand. But it's not worth giving them anymore publicity about this outrageous omission from their entity, than it deserves to have.

Personally, I believe they give Rush MUCH more reason to have them included due to the outrage of other bands, acts, and the general public who know that they deserve to be recognized.

How can you justify having "rap" and "pop" acts in there and leave out acts like Rush, Yes, King Crimson, Kansas, etc...?

That's why the R&RHoF has VERY little merit to me and a whole lot of others. They make themselves look foolish and will continue to do so as long as prog-rock is left out of the balloting...PERIOD.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I find the whole rock an roll hall of fame to be a bad joke.
+1

Do they really want to be in it?

Prince, Blondie, Madonna.

Common man, this is RUSH !!!

It really blows my mind they are not inducted.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Maybe cos it's a hall of fame and not a Best Of - in which case, best by what standards?

What are the attributes of great music? Non-musicians don't care about technical prowess unless it's super-showy. They are usually looking for a synergy between the vocal line, the backing music and the lyrics.

I've long loved King Crimson because they always produce the most unique, varied and jaw-droppingly good band sound of anyone. Sonic heaven. However, there's no way they compare to, say, The Beatles or ABBA when it comes to creating a synergistic mix of vocal line, accompaniment and lyrics. No contest. As a rule, prog band lyrics tend to be naive, irrelevant and/or pretentious.

It depends what you're looking for. A lot of people don't want to be challenged because they use music for relaxation and background so they don't care for prog, which can be challenging and is an acquired taste and, really, not FUN like, say, ABBA or The Stones. No, prog is made for us serious young insects - our exclusive club :)
Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
+1

Do they really want to be in it?

Prince, Blondie, Madonna.

LOL - enough said. The committee or person that runs the RRHF is an embarassing joke to all musicians and I seriously doubt they are musicians themselves - probably just self proclaimed "artists" who study the pop charts and memorize old issues of Rolling Stone and Circus. Nice job guys and gals, I'll bet the next section added will be devoted to Elton John's glassses. Maybe they will start serving buttered popcorn and bubble gum at the entrance. Why don't they just rename it the Pop Music Hall of Fame and save us all a big lie?

Last edited by Strangelove; 03-23-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:22 PM

Chicago, if for nothing else but their music from the 70's. I don't thing Blood, Sweat and Tears is there either.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member

Nat King Cole ... Miles Davis ... Louis Armstrong ... Bob Marley ... Joni Mitchell ... Dusty Springfield ... ABBA ... James Taylor ... great artists but they ain't rawk n roll!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:24 PM

I think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has a much looser definition of "Rock and Roll" than most musicians.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:17 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
I think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has a much looser definition of "Rock and Roll" than most musicians.
Exactly, and it's called Pop Music. Speaking of pop............Iggy Pop............Iggy Pop before Geddy Lee......................I still have to digest all this craziness.

Last edited by Strangelove; 03-23-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

It's really sad, I do think Iggy & the Stooges deserve it but there's like you said no Rush and then there's Kiss,Deep Purple(come on),Grand Funk Railroad, Yes,Stevie Miller,Joe Walsh,Humble Pie,etc. I could keep going
& then I see ABBA,Grandmaster Flash, & The Moonglows (who are they?)
in the Hall of Fame.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was est. in 1986 and didn't. induct Led-Zeppelin until 1995 & Black Sabbath in 2006.

IMO The typ. rock & roll musician dosen't. vote on the inductee's which is also sad because a lot of white-collar karaoke singing suburbanite's are voting which is destroying the Hall IMO.

I live approx. 120 mi. from the Hall of fame and have no desire too go there because of this.

I've ranted long enough LOL

Bonzolead
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,1966,00.html

Quote:
I am a veteran music journalist who spent two years on the Hall's nominating committee and saw from the inside some of the politics at work.

"I saw how artists were sometimes chosen for nomination because of their affiliations with the directors of the Hall and others were shot down without so much as a moment of consideration simply because some people in that room didn't like them personally or because an artist had bad blood with someone calling the shots.

"At one point Suzan Evans lamented the choices being made because there weren't enough big names that would sell tickets to the dinner. That was quickly remedied by dropping one of the doo-wop groups being considered in favor of a 'name' artist.
Another trashing by a long time music critc who used to be a voter:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../DDBITBMBD.DTL

Search the net, there are tons of articles slamming the hall for being fixed, or chosing bands for political reasons over importance
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 AM

I've been to the hall of fame twice... and i like the memorabilia. But you know, the 'hall of fame' aspect does not seem to make any sense. There's plenty of great artists not in there, and plenty of artist that don't deserve to be there, you know, cause some are bad, and some aren't rock ROCK! But the stooges should be in there, their first album is great. Just wait until a death metal band gets in.....
Old 03-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Pioneer Member

I think Rush will eventually get in. I think every band or person that was ever famous at all will get in. Do they still have that drum stick collection there? That was cool.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was est. in 1986 and didn't. induct Led-Zeppelin until 1995 & Black Sabbath in 2006.
You're only eligible to be nominated 25 or more years after your first album was released. The first Led Zep album was 1969. Add 25 and that's 1994, thus making '95 the first year they could really get in (depending on what time of year they do this thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangelove View Post
LOL - enough said. The committee or person that runs the RRHF is an embarassing joke to all musicians and I seriously doubt they are musicians themselves - probably just self proclaimed "artists" who study the pop charts and memorize old issues of Rolling Stone and Circus.
I loled because one guy is a sometimes editor of the Rolling Stones and another complains about them not being a "big enough name", ie pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Nat King Cole ... Miles Davis ... Louis Armstrong ... Bob Marley ... Joni Mitchell ... Dusty Springfield ... ABBA ... James Taylor ... great artists but they ain't rawk n roll!
They do have a category for musicians who're not rock'n'roll but do work in genres that led up to rock, such as the blues. Most of the artists that were inducted through that category did most, if not all, of their work before rock kicked off in the 60s.

I still think the RnR Hall of Fame (or any "Hall of Fame") is a self-adulating stroke of arrogance to fulfill the need to be "accepted and/or recognized"; Also known as an "ego trip". Just like any award... Hypothetically, I would care less if I had gotten into the Hall of Fame, so long as my bandmates are cool, my family's proud and my friends and fans enjoy.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Jeff Gordon #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
You're only eligible to be nominated 25 or more years after your first album was released. The first Led Zep album was 1969. Add 25 and that's 1994, thus making '95 the first year they could really get in (depending on what time of year they do this thing).

I loled because one guy is a sometimes editor of the Rolling Stones and another complains about them not being a "big enough name", ie pop.

They do have a category for musicians who're not rock'n'roll but do work in genres that led up to rock, such as the blues. Most of the artists that were inducted through that category did most, if not all, of their work before rock kicked off in the 60s.

I still think the RnR Hall of Fame (or any "Hall of Fame") is a self-adulating stroke of arrogance to fulfill the need to be "accepted and/or recognized"; Also known as an "ego trip". Just like any award... Hypothetically, I would care less if I had gotten into the Hall of Fame, so long as my bandmates are cool, my family's proud and my friends and fans enjoy.
You know, Moldy...I can't disagree with you at all. Great points all around. Well said!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Silver Member

Thank the geniuses of wikipedia!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post

You are correct sir, I missed that fine little guideline LOL I'm still stumped about "The Moonglows" LMAO

Bonzolead