Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: holes in the kick drum....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
hi,

just a quick question for you all - I have a Tama Rockstar - 4 pce. Pretty basic, but it suits my playing (basic). I've had it about 7 months - I still have the heads it came with on, which I am going to change to EC2's in the next month or so. I have my kick drum tuned as low as possible - I like a big sound - and have no hole in the resonant head. And to my ears it sounds good, y’know big.

I played a gig last night (1st one in ages - went really well, loads of fun). As I was setting up and chatting to the sound guy he said that I should cut a small hole in the front skin for micing. He seemed to think that mics have got a lot better over the last few years and a hole is the way to go.

Thing is I really love a big kick – it drives the song – and to my ears my kick sounded real good last night – and drummers I love from back in the day didn’t have hole in their kick drums…

So what do ya think – hole or not? And why?
I find there's no substitute for what YOU need on stage, if that means NO HOLE, then that's the way it is. You are the musician, and it's about YOU, not the soundman.

I've had soundmen come at my drumheads with razor knives thinking they're just gonna make an incision into a 50+ dollar 26 inch drum head, one guy was about to do it without even ASKING!!!!! I don't THINK so!!

I've played PLENTY of gigs to know that it IS possible to get a cool sound with the heads intact, but it depends on the skillz of the technician, most of which are CLUELESS as to even know how to ATTEMPT it.

OK, that being said you must be diplomatic in your approach to Mr. Clueless as he can make your night miserable.

I would then SUGGEST to him that he "Just try it" as you're SURE a technician of his skill level can make it work. Usually this "brown nosing" technique will get you through the evening without too much hassle..

If he is STILL resistant because he "Knows what the F@rque he's doing" you might suggest a second mic on the batter head to appease his high end deafness from standing too close to high output speakers for most of his life.

This attitude I know you must detect is not from the usual frustration that a drummer might have towards a soundman. It comes from a "been there done that" point of view that many drummers simply have not had.

I was a soundman for about 5 years for a cover band in the early 80's when equipment and outboard gear was no where NEAR as good as it is now, and I managed to figure out how to get things to work, so I don't have much sympathy for guys who can only figure out one way to skin the cat with a myriad of tools like gates and such to help them.

My point of view is NEVER compromise your sound. Did they ask Buddy Rich to put a hole in the kick drum's head? How about Bonham? Would those guys have been who they were without their drumtone? No, it's who they were and who YOU are.

Now that you've gotten through the night, you will of course need a PERMANENT solution to your dilemma which unfortunately WILL rear it's ugly head again.

Two words for you to click: Randall May.

Check these systems out, and if you cannot afford one right from the source take a stab at making a version of your own, I did and it's worked out fabulously. I have NEVER had a soundman complain EVER about my kick drum with an internal mic, EVER. Problem solved, forever.

^^ MAN, I really can go on, 'EH??
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, methods etc...

When I need a hole in my bass drum I use one of the two following methods...

1) I take both of my cats and make sure they are hungry, then I put them in my bass drum and tighten the ol' resonant head right down and put a small pile of food right outside the drum, making sure to clang the bowl so they know it's there...

or

2) I kick-kick-kick-kick in the same spot until my foot tears a rough hole in the general area of the desired hole...
Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
When I need a hole in my bass drum I use one of the two following methods...

1) I take both of my cats and make sure they are hungry, then I put them in my bass drum and tighten the ol' resonant head right down and put a small pile of food right outside the drum, making sure to clang the bowl so they know it's there...

or

2) I kick-kick-kick-kick in the same spot until my foot tears a rough hole in the general area of the desired hole...

Hmmm...this sounds like a pretty suspicious method...are you sure that this works? Can I use dogs instead of cats? What if I have neither, what would substitute? An Elephant? Maybe a GIRAFFE???
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 AM

I just use an Aquarian Port-hole.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:06 PM

Well I've just cut a hole in my Mapex M-Birch reso head and it's made an amazing difference. I did it because I needed relief from the feel and bouce I got with no hole. I like to bury the beater into the drum and with no port hole the rebound was just to much. So I've put a 4 inch hole in the front using an empty Heniz Chicken Soup tin (I think it's was the 800g size), heated it up on the stove and hey presto a perfect hole. So now I've got a stock reso with the hole and an Evans EMAD batter and that's it and I get the most incredible thud with a little bit of resonance due the the fact that the hole is only 4 inches. This is using the thinner foam ring as the batter muffling too and much better beater response. So I know it's personal preference but the test on the M-Birch bass drum has given good results and I'm well chuffed with it!
Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Silver Member

I use a standard sized 22 x 16 bass but it sounds a lot bigger using a particular method:

I used an Evans EMAD batter head with the largest foam insert. I use circle of a(n old) coated Ambassador head Gorilla Glue'd to the spot where the beater makes contact. My resonant head is a Powerstroke 3 with a 4" hole cut in the CENTER with nothing inside the bass drum whatsoever. The reason for a center hole, is because the center has the least tone of the drumhead, therefore, cutting a hole there, gives a modicum of tone reduction compared to cutting one on the perimeter region. Plus, in certain situations where you want more "tone" and less "kick", you place the mic near the edge, instead of inside the hole. This setup provides an extremely versatile miking capability for various styles of music and rooms.

Another advantage to the center hole, is that the drum evacuates the air a bit faster than if the hole were offset, being that the impact of the beater is approximately directly across the drum. This allows more punchy reaction of the heads, but can be balanced by a higher tuning of the drum. You can get a HUGE sound this way, especially since there is nothing inside the drum inhibiting the maximum air volume inside and quick evacuation.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:42 PM

Hey guys and girls,

I have a 16" bass drum with a Remo Fiberskyn 3 head on it. I want to cut/burn a hole on it to put a mic in it. How big should the hole be??
Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 AM

Thanks guys, this thread is very helpful. I'd probably buy a holz thing and trace it like that, or I could use a CD. fyi a cd is 4.75" just a tiny bit under 5" unless I measured wrong lol. I have a feeling that when I cut a hole in the reso, I'll need to add a little bit of muffling.

I'm not very knowledgable about smaller heads, but my guess is 3" hole or smaller for a 16" head.. I guess if you start smaller you could always make adjustments.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 AM

how could you put a hole in a coated reso
Old 04-14-2009, 03:57 AM

Uh, yeah:

http://www.olfaproducts.com/ProductD...000-1137369287

We've literally used ONE of these on the over 6000 heads we've done to this point -- Regulators, Classic Clears and Full Force alike. Not all of them have had ports, but many have had more than one. So, I'd say it's gone through at least 6000 cuts, and we're just now getting ready to replace it now. :)

--Jim.

DrumART.com - Use Your Head! (TM)
Old 04-14-2009, 11:25 AM

I hace seen sound guys just take a knife to someones bass drum and cut a hole in the front to place a mike..............I find that out of order- The poor guy was just going to start a set with his band and the sound geek ran over and did it without asking!!!

I have a 4 inch hole in mine off center about a third up- it has a silver holz fitting in it and it looks the bizz- I put it in for recording as I would have caved a sound mans head in if they came near my kit with a knife!
In truth I think it helps with the sound and makes for slightly lower tone- I can also adjust my eq pillows when I need to.
I cut the whole with a jam jar I think-- I just placed it on pushed it down and cut around it with a craft knife- job done!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:48 PM

I just used a penknife on mine, did the trick. After I got the blue holz it was perfect! It even matched the blue stripe!!

Old 04-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysthedrummer View Post
I just used a penknife on mine, did the trick. After I got the blue holz it was perfect! It even matched the blue stripe!!

Nice one mate. I've been looking for a BD head like that, reckon it'd look a lot better on my kit than a black reso. Plus i'd rather have the big tama logo.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit View Post
I hace seen sound guys just take a knife to someones bass drum and cut a hole in the front to place a mike..............I find that out of order- The poor guy was just going to start a set with his band and the sound geek ran over and did it without asking!!!
!
yeah....I find this EXTREMELY out of order......no way is some dude going to run up and cut a hole in my bass drum without asking. No ...Way.

And whoever said it is about the musician...not the soundguy? Bravo....Bravo...
Old 06-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Pioneer Member

I just cut one in my reso head today. Easy and cheap way to do it:: Trace a CD with a razor, they are about the size you want and perfectly round. You can tape it down in the middle hole to hold it in place if you like. Of course this way is free, if you want it done nicely it's probably better to buy one of those kits that come with the hole reinforcement things.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM

google the "Drum tuner's bible". Great teachings on everything...including but not limited to ....
Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 AM

If you go on youtube there are a few tutorials on cutting bass drum ports. The best seems to be the heated can method which burns through the skin and has no rough edges to clean up.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Holz cutter and Holz rings rock. IMHO of course.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:19 AM

when I cut my rsonant bass drum head, I actually found it easier to play faster, and there is a great balance between tone and punch...

I cut mine 4 inches..burned a hole right through it....a little smelly though
Old 02-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Stanely knife to make the whole and then just buy a 6/4 inch bass drum 'O' because there worth every penny. If your looking to mike the kit id go for 6" but if you just want more of a thud to your bass drum 4" will do.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Cutting a hole in the bass drum...How big, etc...

Cut? Not sure if this was mentioned yet i used the old-school heated can trick.

Basically, go to the store and find a canned product that uses the diameter you want the hole to be.

Place bass drum head on heat-resistant surface (paved driveway as an example)

Take the sealed can to the bass drum head and make a note where you want the hole.

Open can, empty can (in garbage or eat whatever is it in), clean the can, remove outer paper and remove unopened side so both sides of can are open.

Heat can on a top burner at med-high temp (setting depends on stove of course).

Once heated, use pot holder to grasp can and use it to melt a hold in the heat.

This makes a hole PLUS 'reseals' the plastic per se, thus avoiding any tear problems.

And yes, this is dangerous due to high heat so please be a drummer with a highish IQ level if you choose to do this. i take ZERO liability for your stupidity.

It is easier than it sounds, yet wanted to give a full step by step description.

Steven
www.THTST.com
Old 03-10-2010, 04:18 PM

Hi there, I am yet to be sold a bass drum head that has been pre cut by any drum head manufacturer, please excuse my ignorance, do they sell them? Some people purchase brand new denim with holes, why would they do that ? Have they been hanging around with sound technicians? How about suspending a microphone inside the bass drum. It has been achieved in days past. If it is needed to capture the sound correctly then why not put holes in the heads of the other drums on the kit ?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 PM

Ive never had holes, and Ive always gotten the skeptical comments from sound guys....and then that was immediately followed up by "Hmnnn, sounds pretty good!". So if you have a sound guy thats willing to work with you, it shouldnt be an issue. Im thinking of putting a 5" in my 24" though just to get rid of that slight bit of bounce back.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Hey you could always go to Guitar Center and they'll cut a whole for you free. And you could pay them to put the plastic thing around the whole. (Sorry idk the name for it)
Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Silver Member

Maybe it's just me and 20+ years of drumming, but the only people who cut holes in drum heads:

1. Were talked into it by a sound "engineer"
2. Bought a kit with a hole already in the head
3. Have no idea how to tune a bass drum
4. Have no idea how to mic a bass drum
5. Have no idea how to mix/record drums
Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
Maybe it's just me and 20+ years of drumming, but the only people who cut holes in drum heads:

Do you play with a twin pedal? It's a pain in the buttocks to play a non ported kick with one - there is too much feedback since the beaters bounce back off the head and not enough definition sound-wise. Especially for songs in which you play patterns/16th note doubles etc. It comes out as a mess. I haven't been playing as long a you, but in my experience I have yet to see someone who plays those kind of tunes with non ported kicks.

Having a ported reso depends on the sound, feel you are going for and even music you play...

Last edited by Drum-Head; 03-17-2010 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post

Yeah, it's just you. Please list your discography of stuff you recorded without a hole in the resonant head. I'd love to hear some of it.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:20 AM

I was wondering, I really don't want to put a hole in the resonate head because I like the fat sound with lots of resonance so could I put a hole in the batter head instead?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungeandpunkrockliveson View Post
I was wondering, I really don't want to put a hole in the resonate head because I like the fat sound with lots of resonance so could I put a hole in the batter head instead?
If you like the "fat sound with lot's of resonance", why put a port hole in at all? If you're happy with the sound, leave it as it is.

To answer your question though. I wouldn't dream of it. The initial tone is provided by the batter head. Porting the batter would make it sound completely lifeless IMO. Much the same way that a stick hole in the batter head of a snare or tom ruins the tone. Plus the constant beater attack would cause premature stretching and damage to the batter head if it had a hole in it.

I know there are vented snare batter heads, but I feel this is a different process to what you are asking.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grungeandpunkrockliveson View Post
I actually did this with an SKII. I was going to change it anyway so I experimented. I played it for a day or two with no ill effects. It didn't really sound that bad. More sound was projected at me through the port.
I say go for it if you want to try it.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I actually did this with an SKII. I was going to change it anyway so I experimented. I played it for a day or two with no ill effects. It didn't really sound that bad. More sound was projected at me through the port.
I say go for it if you want to try it.
Well.......you live and learn Bob. I've never seen it done.....and certainly never heard of it being done. I personally thought it'd be a train wreck, to be honest. Interesting indeed. Glad you chimed in mate!

Grunge......I await your verdict. If you do it, please post your thoughts on the matter. I'd love to hear your findings.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Well.......you live and learn Bob. I've never seen it done.....and certainly never heard of it being done. I personally thought it'd be a train wreck, to be honest. Interesting indeed. Glad you chimed in mate!

Grunge......I await your verdict. If you do it, please post your thoughts on the matter. I'd love to hear your findings.
It was a 3 1/2 inch port that I melted through the 20" two ply head.
If you use a reinforcement ring it will probably be more durable.
It was just one of those "What If" moments. I don't think that it would work well with a single ply head. I've had them split at the port when on the reso side of the bass.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM

The factory Drum Workshop resonant head made by remo has 3 small holes about 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter on each side near the outer edge. It sounds great. I think the sound is between a non-ported and ported head. The air is escaping out of 6 places instead of one so it has good resonance. Cutting 6 small holes my be labor intensive but maybe it's worth a try.
Zildjian & Sabian
Porter & Davies
Roland TD30KV
Old 06-16-2010, 06:39 PM

A couple hours away I have a crappy Westbury kit at a friends for jamming whenever i am in the area. The bass sounded horrendous the first year of playing it there. I tried no reso head and it made it sound worse. I tried having the reso with a pillow inside, too muffled. Finally I took a Clear batter head used an 8" hole kit, threw that on and kept the pillow. It is probably the best bass drum sound out of a 20 dollar drum I could possibly imagine. I actually don't even mind playing the kit when I'm down there.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Silver Member

After reading some of the first posts on this thread, i have to ask about the tin can method again. Whether it's been asked or not, i'm going to ask anyway.

How exactly are you meant to cut the head with the heated can. The initial processes are easy enough to grasp but do you gently press the heated can onto the head and then gradually press down? Do you just find out where you want the hole and just push it straight down? Do you put the can on the head, wait a few seconds for it to melt a bit then push it down?

I've wanted a ported reso for a while and then eventually get together some cash for a Kick Port but until i find out how to actually get a hole in the reso head, i can't do any of that. And there are no doubt many other methods to do this as well so i'm not spending money on a new reso unless i somehow get a lot of money sometime soon. There's no point in my eyes.

xoxo
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

they mean don't heat up a can and force it threw all fast and hard. heat the can and gently press it on the head. the heat will melt it's way threw on it's own with no real force from you.

but if your not comfortable doing it this way...
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DMOCUTTER
a tool like this may work for you, you just set one end in the center of the port location, spin in a circle and instant port hole....
Old 07-10-2010, 04:44 PM

If I were you I would simply get a can or something 4"-6" in diameter and trace it on the back side of the head. Then cut it out, ideally with a razor tool or something similar. Even it its a bit jagged, purchasing a reso ring fixture like "holz" will cover it up. Just make sure that its a specific inch diameter because that's how those are measured. Remember that if your port hole is over 8 inches (i cannot remember but its either 8" or 10") then its the exact same as having no head at all. This is important to remember! I see guys with a 12" or more hole and I always wonder what it is they are attempting to accomplish. Might as well have nothing on in that case.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 PM

The heated can trick is fantastic!!! I did it myself and it was a charm. Just like the earlier posts said. You simply get a can, I think I used a coffee can, 5 inches in diameter. Place it on a stove burner for about two minutes. Having you bass drum head OFF THE DRUMSET and ready, you simply take the heated can off the stove with potholders or something like that and place the can onto the bass drum head where you want the hole to go. IMPORTANT: make sure your bass drum head is positioned such that the can may go all the way through, or far enough so it gets the hole separated from the head. The one time, the can didnt sever entriely, and I got a small mess. The head "hung on" to the can. So, it would need to be elevated, I put mine on( head) on top of three stacks of books situated at points on the edges. Lastly, TAKE THE DECAL OR LABEL OFF THE CAN FIRST. I guess this should have been firstly. While my can was heating up, the label began smoking creating a pure panic in my household. Alarm went off, kids freaking out, crazy.

Good luck, it really is simple, just take each step slow.
Gibraltar
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Love the can trick, super easy and got me a perfect circle. Heated the thing up over a campfire (yes, a campfire) then just pressed it on to the bass head. I put a block of wood underneath the spot where it was going to melt through, but that isn't really necessary. I think all it did was make me have to lift up on my bass head to get it to cut through.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
I did it because I needed relief from the feel and bouce I got with no hole. I like to bury the beater into the drum and with no port hole the rebound was just to much.
that's the only reason i ever cut a hole - "bounce relief!". most of my clients like the full big sound - and if they want a more "clicky sound" i just pull out the d-6 mic! rarely do i ever need two mics on a kick for any session.