DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: The strongest stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
no way. Thats amazing. I didnt evenknow Mike Mangini has had Signature sticks for that long. Man if i were you i would be afraid of using em because of the risk of breaking antiques like that from 26 years ago.
Nah man, i do use them use sometimes, but just for warming up. There to heavy to be used during normal playin. Yeah, i kinda hesitate now even IF i even use them ; )
Old 11-28-2006, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Drum_For_Skittles View Post
Yes. Those sticks are nigh indestructable. Great feel too (beefy 5b). I have found Vater to be putting out some quality sticks.

Any way, Vic Firths do have the potential to last forever (call me crazy) but it is very complicated. I got some VFs from a friend, who barely ever used them (only lightly in school). They were about a year old, and only ever-so-lightly used. They have taken a beating like no other. I think that vic firths just need some prep time, to get slightly worn in, enough so they aren't as new looking, but still practically scrape free. After that complicated pre-drumming routine, they will last forever.

If you really want sticks that will last FOREVER, try marching sticks. I can guarantee 100% that everything else will break, but most positively not the sticks.
WRONG! Playing in several drumlines I have broken countless sticks. Ralph Hardimon sticks may look big but aren't terribly durable. Tape your marching sticks with white electrical tape (or black) to make them last longer.

Anyways, in my experience when you do leave vic firth sticks alone for a while they become more durable over time, I don't know why that is. Also Vater is extremely durable, I love the Manhattan 7As.

Last edited by Bad Drummer; 11-28-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

look at the grain and straightness of the stick,more grains make a stronger stick along with a straighter stick is always stronger.you can pick the strongest pair if you know what to look for like me.

Bonzolead
Old 11-28-2006, 10:41 PM

I have had the same pair of vic firths 5A for a year and they havent broke
Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 PM

I have been looking for a pair of sticks all my life that will last. I think there are almost too many variables to determine what makes an across the board great long lasting stick. I play 6 or 7 hours every day and I have never had one set of sticks last longer than one week. I play everything from jazz to rock in the studio so the sticks are getting exposure to about as many different styles as possible and Vater 5b nylons are about the longest lasting stick that I have tried. I am not partial to any single brand, I like promarks of all sizes as well as vater, sometimes I just play whatever they have in the studio...The best choice of stick is not looking at the brand...look for a tight straight grain and roll the stick on a smooth surface before you buy it to ensure the sitck is absolutly straight and true.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 PM

Right Now Im using Vic Firth HD9's... I love the size of them (in between 5b and 2b)

They seem to be going strong, Im considering buying a brick of them
Old 12-17-2006, 10:26 PM

A pair of Ahead's will last you a while if you're a hard hitter. I used to use Vic Firth Metal N's, which are really durable but now I stick to the Ahead Joey Jordison sticks sometimes, but mainly the Danny Carey signature sticks. The Danny Carey sigs have as much power as the Metal's, but have a longer taper so they feel lighter and a cool grip thing in them so you can hold the sticker looser without it slipping. And the Joey Jordison's for some reason are good if you have blisters or if you want to prevent them, I think it's the metal grip it has. Idk, but go to a music store and grab a few pairs of sticks and try them out, hitting their drums, cymbals, playing the little practice pads they have glued to the stick areas etc. until you find your perfect stick.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:55 AM

Of course Ahead sticks would last the longest. They shouldn't be categorized under this thread. I would like to hear what the strongest wooden stick is..
Old 02-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Silver Member

Tried loads and always go back to Promark 747 Oak;s
Old 02-20-2010, 08:46 PM

look for sticks with straight grain. also make sure they "feel solid". Wood is wood.....is not a true statement. I know the drum stick companies pick out the bad quality stuff

I really don't like the painted sticks because I can not SEE the grain.

also sticks with thicker necks and shorter tapers have a longer life span....but you give up response from the stick...

I feel it is sort of a trade off...durability vs a good playing stick....in many cases.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:02 AM

Tre Cool signature. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're one of the biggest if not the biggest sticks out there (super 5b)
Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 AM

fic virth american hickory 5bs. They are readily available at any drum shop and have lasted a minimum of 1 1/2 month a pair and @ about 8 bucks a pair, definatly worth it. PS i am a heavy hitter.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjian 242 View Post
Hi, I like to use 5a's and 5b's. I need to find a stick that will last a long time. Im kinda low on cash and I need a stickthat will last. any advice?
I've had the same pair of Pro Mark's for a year and some change. Just now started to crack.

Has anyone mentioned Ahead yet?!

...couldn't resist.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiah331 View Post
I've had the same pair of Pro Mark's for a year and some change. Just now started to crack.

Has anyone mentioned Ahead yet?!

...couldn't resist.
actually, ive never been able to get my hands on some Ahead's, as much as i would like to

Ive got both Pro Marks and Vics and ive broken a Vic but never a Pro Mark.
You want to go for the ones made of Hickory, not pine.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:15 AM

Anyone remember those ?kevlar" or whatever synthetic sticks back in the 80's. Those things were ALMOST indestructable.

Steven
www.THTST.com
Old 03-06-2010, 06:23 AM
Jeff Gordon #24

Pro-Mark hickorys in my bag. I've used 'em for years. Not gonna fix what ain't broke. Ha!! I could't resist that one guys. I apologize if that wasn't a good one.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Drummer View Post
WRONG! Playing in several drumlines I have broken countless sticks. Ralph Hardimon sticks may look big but aren't terribly durable. Tape your marching sticks with white electrical tape (or black) to make them last longer.

Anyways, in my experience when you do leave vic firth sticks alone for a while they become more durable over time, I don't know why that is. Also Vater is extremely durable, I love the Manhattan 7As.
Haha, I was going to say I don't even know how many marching sticks I've broken, we would go through a good 5 or 6 pair each per season, even with the tape.

I've also experienced the same Vic Firth phenomenon...I bought a pair of Steve Gadd signatures when I first started drumming at about age 11 and they kept going until I got really serious at about 15, at which point they were indestructible until I finally broke them at a show a few months ago. (I had been using them as backups). On the other hand, I've bought a pair of the same model new and broke them within a week,

I think it has to do with technique. Some people break heads, some crack cymbals, some break sticks all the time, some never scratch a thing and most of us don't know exactly why that happens. Its just minor subtleties that we don't realize.

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 03-09-2010, 12:57 PM

The strongest stick I've come across has to be the 3A Fatback by Vater. Nylon tip, very thick barrel...I think these are the reason my china is bent, along with my lapses in sanity when I turn into a gorilla behind the kit. My roommate has a pair of Vater 5A, round wood tip, I've only used them on a pad but they feel very durable as well.

I don't have access to much of the Pro Mark line, I'd like to try out these oak sticks you speak of.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Rebel

The two oak logs, that John Bonham used to play on Presence album - mainly on the fills of Achiles Last Stand.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickropolis View Post
The strongest stick I've come across has to be the 3A Fatback by Vater. Nylon tip, very thick barrel...I think these are the reason my china is bent, along with my lapses in sanity when I turn into a gorilla behind the kit. My roommate has a pair of Vater 5A, round wood tip, I've only used them on a pad but they feel very durable as well.

I don't have access to much of the Pro Mark line, I'd like to try out these oak sticks you speak of.
I mean, honestly their good ole American Hickory sticks are extremely durable and versatile.