DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Silver Member

Default I need a drum head that will fit a little large on my 1414 tom

I'm looking for a brand/model of drum head (Evans - Aquarian - Remo etc.) that fits a little large.

I have a 1958 or so 6ply 1414 Gretsch tom in Gold Sparkle wrap that I'm having difficulty fitting heads to.

I solved the problem in one way by custom fitting wood flesh-hoops and tucking my own calfhide heads. But I would also like to put 'plastic' heads on the drum for a change once in awhile.

The drum shell is pretty much 14" diameter - and the wrap adds to that diameter making for a very tight fit for the heads I've tried so far. In fact when I bought the drum last year I had to struggle to get the existing old head off the drum. This tight fit makes it difficult to tune = the head does not ride on the bearing edge properly. The one that fits not too bad at this time (a little tight thought) is an Evans G1 clear. I had it laying around and tried it. I was told recently to give Aquarian a try - did that with a New Oleans Special but it would not even go on the drum. Maybe Aquarian does have a model that will fit a little larger.

Thoughts??
Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Default Re: I need a drum head that will fit a little large on my 1414 tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONA View Post
I'm looking for a brand/model of drum head (Evans - Aquarian - Remo etc.) that fits a little large.

I have a 1958 or so 6ply 1414 Gretsch tom in Gold Sparkle wrap that I'm having difficulty fitting heads to.

I solved the problem in one way by custom fitting wood flesh-hoops and tucking my own calfhide heads. But I would also like to put 'plastic' heads on the drum for a change once in awhile.

The drum shell is pretty much 14" diameter - and the wrap adds to that diameter making for a very tight fit for the heads I've tried so far. In fact when I bought the drum last year I had to struggle to get the existing old head off the drum. This tight fit makes it difficult to tune = the head does not ride on the bearing edge properly. The one that fits not too bad at this time (a little tight thought) is an Evans G1 clear. I had it laying around and tried it. I was told recently to give Aquarian a try - did that with a New Oleans Special but it would not even go on the drum. Maybe Aquarian does have a model that will fit a little larger.

Thoughts??

Aquarian American Vintage Series:

American Vintage™ Series:
A coated, single ply drumhead available in either a medium weight or thin weight. The American Vintage™ series has a slightly larger hoop diameter to allow for an easy fit on most vintage drumshells. This drumhead features a special coating that has the look, feel and warm sound of a calfskin head.

//www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/vintage-series
Old 03-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Silver Member

I would say Aquarian as well. To save yourself some time and money, email Roy Burns. You will get an answer or he will give you a number for you to call him at.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/contact
Old 03-06-2010, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
I would say Aquarian as well. To save yourself some time and money, email Roy Burns. You will get an answer or he will give you a number for you to call him at.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/contact
I did just that yesterday and he did just that - he emailed me a phone # today.

I saw him at a drum clinic about 35 years ago in Vancouver BC and was in awe watching him execute his single double and 'triple' stroke rolls. Mannnnn - we're getting old !!

Hey - getting old sucks but it beats the alternative.........
Old 03-06-2010, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I saw him at a drum clinic about 35 years ago in Vancouver BC and was in awe watching him execute his single double and 'triple' stroke rolls. Mannnnn - we're getting old !!

Hey - getting old sucks but it beats the alternative.........
I see no problem getting old as long as you still have as much fun behind the kit as when you were young ;-)

My Kit Latest Update

Last edited by mind_drummer; 03-06-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: My phrase missed a word...
Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
So was he able to help with your issue ?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
So was he able to help with your issue ?
I called but they're not open on Saturdays. I did get product (model) #'s for some Aquarian Vintage heads that my local retailer can bring in. I sent Aquarian another email quoting those models and hopefully they will just email me with a yes that's what I need or otherwise.