DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM

Default Durable headphones

My 21st is coming up, and for a present I'd like some headphones from my folks.
Thing is, being a 21st and all they want to give me something that will last.

Does anyone know of any good headphones to use while drumming that won't just last 2 or 3 years?
Isolation is preferred.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:00 PM
audiotech

Default Re: Durable headphones

Look into Sennheiser 280 headphones. They have great isolation, very good frequency response and seem to be built very well. I've had a pair for about six months and like them a lot for tracking. There are a lot of good quality phones, but most are a balance between isolation compared to that of sound quality. It seems to me that the Sennheisers have both.

Dennis
Old 03-05-2010, 07:37 PM

Get them to get you a pair of Beyer DT100's. They have been industry standard studio cans for years and should last you forever if you look after them. An investment worth making. They sound consistent and all the bits like muffs (ooh err Misses!) and foams etc are all available to replace separately if you trash them.

Go listen to a pair at any pro - audio supplier
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat the beat View Post
Get them to get you a pair of Beyer DT100's. They have been industry standard studio cans for years and should last you forever if you look after them. An investment worth making. They sound consistent and all the bits like muffs (ooh err Misses!) and foams etc are all available to replace separately if you trash them.

Go listen to a pair at any pro - audio supplier
I also own a pair of the Beyer DT100s that I've used for years and the Sennheiser 280 have much more ambient isolation than what the DT100s have. The DT 100s are rated at about 20 db compared to the 280s which are rated at 31db. Either one will work fine, but if isolation is a main concern, the 280s will work better for you. The Sennheisers are about $100 USD compared to the DT100s which are a little over $200 USD.

Dennis
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I also own a pair of the Beyer DT100s that I've used for years and the Sennheiser 280 have much more ambient isolation than what the DT100s have. The DT 100s are rated at about 20 db compared to the 280s which are rated at 31db. Either one will work fine, but if isolation is a main concern, the 280s will work better for you. The Sennheisers are about $100 USD compared to the DT100s which are a little over $200 USD.

Dennis
A good point well made Dennis :-)
If isolation in really a concern - go for some in ear monitors and custom moulds, these will give you so much iso you'll be putting a pair of ambience mics up to hear yourself practice!!!

Bigger outlay tho, depending on what quality you go for.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Extreme Isolation headphones are pretty good. I don't own a pair but I have used them and they work great. I'd suggest the EX-29 model. Their about $100 and come with a 1 year warranty. I think a lot of studios use this model also
Old 03-05-2010, 11:42 PM

I dont think any shops near me stock Beyers, and I'd prefer to get something with a warranty rather than online.

I can get the sennheisers though, I'll go and give them a try next week.