DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

Default Remo Black suede

So these are some heads I'm interested in trying out. The ad I found them in mentioned something about jazz, and with me being the kind of guy that likes to put things in places where they wouldn't normally work, I wanted to try them out in my own genre.

That, and they're black. Which looks amazing.

So anyone have any experience with Black suede? Are they worth the upgrade?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Remo Black suede

I was interested in them also and was actaully wondering that too. I liked them because they were said to have a sound in between clear and coated. I have only heard them in guitar center and i wasn't playing them and couldn't really compare them to any other heads (plus the fact that since i have never heard the sound of the set before either i could'nt really judge the heads). But we used the black suede heads on the tenors at my high school drumline and they sounded really good. Then again that was a entirely different drum and i don't know how they would sound on a drum kit.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

A drum tech friend of mine says they're a great head i'm switching too them from clear emperor's..........Black Suede Emperor's by the way.

Bonzolead

Last edited by bonzolead; 03-02-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I was interested in them also and was actaully wondering that too. I liked them because they were said to have a sound in between clear and coated. I have only heard them in guitar center and i wasn't playing them and couldn't really compare them to any other heads (plus the fact that since i have never heard the sound of the set before either i could'nt really judge the heads). But we used the black suede heads on the tenors at my high school drumline and they sounded really good. Then again that was a entirely different drum and i don't know how they would sound on a drum kit.
inbetween clear and coated you say? huh, i was under the impression they were more on the warmer and deeper side then your regular coated heads. i was planning on trying a few in the next week or 2 but i might have to rethink that if they are indeed brighter then coated heads....
Old 03-02-2010, 03:28 AM
Silver Member

Well, yes and no. I tried a Black Suede Emeperor on my Mapex Saturn 16" a month ago.

In all honesty, the best way to summarize it is this: Take the articulated attack of coated and add a little brightness. Take out almost all the middle frequencies. Add in the sustain of clear, temper it a bit and deepen it alot. This is the Black Suede in a nutshell: Strong defined attack with deep sustain. And because of this, it's quite nice sounding, controlled without being muffled. It does what the Pinstripe *SHOULD* do but doesn't. :)

To the OP, I'd buy two at most: one for a rack tom, one for a floor tom. Tune them up, see how they sound. It'll likely give rack toms a deeper tone and give floor toms a more defined attack, thus balancing the kit. And FYI, I'm thinking about switching over to them as soon as I find a dealer with the regular white suedes in stock.

Here's a good video that's pretty close to the actual sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBB7tl4Spg
Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldy View Post
Well, yes and no. I tried a Black Suede Emeperor on my Mapex Saturn 16" a month ago.

In all honesty, the best way to summarize it is this: Take the articulated attack of coated and add a little brightness. Take out almost all the middle frequencies. Add in the sustain of clear, temper it a bit and deepen it alot. This is the Black Suede in a nutshell: Strong defined attack with deep sustain. And because of this, it's quite nice sounding, controlled without being muffled. It does what the Pinstripe *SHOULD* do but doesn't. :)

To the OP, I'd buy two at most: one for a rack tom, one for a floor tom. Tune them up, see how they sound. It'll likely give rack toms a deeper tone and give floor toms a more defined attack, thus balancing the kit. And FYI, I'm thinking about switching over to them as soon as I find a dealer with the regular white suedes in stock.

Here's a good video that's pretty close to the actual sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cBB7tl4Spg
You sound just like the drum tech I talked too, I'm putting them on a old school Yamaha "Tour Custom" kit 12 x 10 tom & 16 x 16 floor-tom & 24 x 16 bass-drum, they have that deep 80's drum tone anyway & the kit is Black it's kinda my "Biker-Club" kit LOL. I'm putting a PS3 on the bass & emperor's on the tom & floor-tom.

So i'm thinking the Black Suedes are the best of both worlds for this kit,
Great looks,great sound.

There is something just cool about Black & Chrome.

Thanks for the input,
Bonzolead