DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Default Headphones for drumming.

Im just wondering if anyone has any good advice on what headphones to use whilst playing drums. I have used a few different headphones but the only ones that dont get drowned out by the drums are JVC marshmallows which always seem to break really easily, so what other good headphones are there to use, im also only looking to spend about 50 tops.
Thanks
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Headphones for drumming.

Are JVC marshmallows sound isolation headphones? Maybe that's why they work better than your other ones.

I'm not sure what's out there within your price range, but make sure that whatever you go with has some decent isolation.

It will give you much clearer sound as it drowns out some of the outside noise. This also means that you can turn down your headphones to a reasonable volume so that you can avoid long term damage to your hearing.

drummer for Within a Reverie, an experiment in prog rock/metal/???
withinareverie.com
Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Yeah they were, i would use them as ear plugs aswell when im not playing along to music, if there's not much out there for that price range, id be willing to spend more but not too much more.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:37 PM

Vic Firth Isolation Phones....alot of people dont like them...but I have had a pair for 4 years and love them....i have had no problems and the isolation is awesome...I paid $49.99 USD from musicians friend...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicotine25 View Post
Vic Firth Isolation Phones....alot of people dont like them...but I have had a pair for 4 years and love them....i have had no problems and the isolation is awesome...I paid $49.99 USD from musicians friend...
2nd that as well. I got a pair a few months back from MF and they work great for playing along w/ ipod etc.. I wouldn't recommend them for just listening to music though.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:24 AM

I use the Audio Technica headphones which costs around 60 SGD. It works fine for me, but the headphones are meant to be for listening to music. Lol.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:07 AM

The vic firth's of course are not the absolute best listening headphones, but they do sound pretty awesome...there by far better to any type of standard ipod ear bud. I use them for just listening to music all the time...there especially good on an Airplane...or if my wife is forcing me to vacuum the house. Now with that said I would in no way what so ever use them for say...Mastering a record...but other than that, they sure have my vote.
p.s. I took them to a studio in Austin, and the engineer like them so much they purchased 8 pair...because they are so cheep and the isolation is outstanding.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Platinum Member

I recently bought a pair of the JVC marshmallows before going on a long plane trip and was surprised and pleased at how well they could isolate if seated correctly in the ear. I imagine I could use these under a pair of regular old earmuffs and keep the volume turned comfortably down.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM

i looked on the website and there's a few different ones, is there a certain one i should get or are they all good?
And thanks for the help.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:28 PM

Beyerdynamic DT-770 works good, but a little expensive.. $199.99 at the guitar center, but I think Sony MDR-7506 works fair enough haha :) around it costs around $80~90
Old 02-27-2010, 12:08 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclock_21c View Post
Beyerdynamic DT-770 works good, but a little expensive.. $199.99 at the guitar center, but I think Sony MDR-7506 works fair enough haha :) around it costs around $80~90
I have both of the headphones that you mention and both are decent quality phones, but neither one has the isolation that the Sennheiser 280's has. Granted, the two that you mention have a bit better quality in a flatter frequency response, but listening to the music and drumming along you probably won't notice very much difference. With better isolation from ambient noise, you won't have to crank the volume of the headset up to the point of adversely affecting your hearing. You can buy the 280's for about $100 USD.

Dennis
Old 02-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Silver Member

i always practice with the vic firth isolation headphones, hte blue ones. i also have the black ones that i record with. have had both for years. no issues
Old 02-27-2010, 04:07 AM

I use a $25 pair of ear muffs (like they use at gun ranges) over some cheap ear buds. The buds have to be put in upside down because there is not much room inside the muffs, but, after a little experimentation, I've gotten them to work quite comfortably. The muffs have about 25-28db off reduction, so they work wonderfully.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 AM

I tried 3 other headphones before I found the Beyerdynamic DT770 M headphones. These have 35 db's of attenuation and they were designed for drummers. Make sure you try the 770 M not the pro. These are expensive but worth it. You will probably have to order them from an on-line retailer.