DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-26-2010, 08:07 AM

Default Beta 52, D6, or D 112

I've been drumming for about 4 years now, but am just getting into recording. I've got 4 SM57's for my snare's and tom's and 2 MXL604's for overheads. Now, I'm having a really hard time deciding on a kick mic. I mostly play heavy rock and am looking for good low end, but I would like a click too. I've heard complaints about the beta being more "whoofy". I don't want this, but I don't want a metal click either. More of a punchy and throaty thump. Thanks in advance!

Also, before I can't return my sm57's, would anyone suggest something for my toms, especially for my 2 floor, that is better than sm57's?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Beta 52, D6, or D 112

Stick with the 57s on the toms and get a D112 for the kick, and you can't go wrong. With that setup the only variable should be your own skill in recording.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Gold Member

I've used Shure mics and Audix mics...can't really go wrong with either...but I prefer the Audix mics....the D6 is a killer kick mic...also the D series for the toms (d-2,-4, micro-d) are very good mics...and either a d-1 or an i-5 for the snare...:)
Old 02-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Silver Member

Always had good luck with the D112, count that as a vote for it.

If you've got extra 57's and a free input, maybe try experimenting with the 57 on the kick in addition to whatever kick mic you go with to find some of that "click" you're after... although playing with the placement of the D112 has yielded positive results for myself in the balancing of a hefty low end with enough definition.

Sennheiser e604's as a suggestion for tom mics that won't (overly) kill your budget.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

I own a D6 and a Beta52, for metal I'd definitely go D6 out of those two. It's "pre-tuned" for low end and click on top. I use my beta52 for other styles.
billbachman.net
Old 02-27-2010, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
I've used Shure mics and Audix mics...can't really go wrong with either...but I prefer the Audix mics....the D6 is a killer kick mic...also the D series for the toms (d-2,-4, micro-d) are very good mics...and either a d-1 or an i-5 for the snare...:)
Oh good! This is exactly what I was going to say.

Audix mics are pretty heavily EQed, so if you want to use your tom mics for other things down the road (guitar cabs, etc...), then keep the SM57s. If you want a "punchy" drum sound, the Audix mics work wonders. What I've found works best for me is this:

10" and smaller toms = D1
12" through 14" toms = D2
15" and bigger toms = D4
kick drum = D6 for punch, or D112 for more open tone
snare = I5 for a punchy "in your face" sound, SM57 for more "realistic" sound

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 02-28-2010, 03:45 PM

Keep your '57's, they were industry standard for tom micing for a long time for a good reason. I would go with the Beta 52 on the kick, it has a slightly larger diaphram the the D6, which will give you a better natural response for the lo end as opposed to an EQ'ed one. But sound is subjective - so go listen and see which you prefer, after all you're the one who will be hearing it in your monitors night after night!! I good or bad sound engineer will make or break you anyway!! :-D

Happy hunting!!