DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

Default snare head questions

i'm getting new heads for a new kit but i'm having some trouble with the snare. i'm finding lots of good info on the batter side but not the snare side. the snare is a mapex saturn walnut/maple shell 5.5x14". basic saturn snare...

i like a lot of the snare sound, i'm assuming to get that i need a thinner single ply head maybe 7mil or so. honestly i've never replaced the snare side head on any snare i always just used what is there so i don;t really know what to look for.

i have tons of unused batter side heads i'm going to try, are those going to effect how much strainer sound i get and how loud it is? i also like a good crack to it so i don't want to loose that either. or is it going to even matter what head is on there and rely more on the strainer itself?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: snare head questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrae1l View Post
i'm assuming to get that i need a thinner single ply head maybe 7mil or so.

i have tons of unused batter side heads i'm going to try, are those going to effect how much strainer sound i get and how loud it is? i also like a good crack to it so i don't want to loose that either. or is it going to even matter what head is on there and rely more on the strainer itself?
You are assuming correctly. Go for a snare side ambassador (as opposed to a standard ambassador). Or Evans snare side (Hazy 300, from memory. I could be wrong though, but someone will correct me).

Don't use a batter head for the snare side. You'll loose snare articulation. Tell the guys in the store you're after a snare side head, They'll sort you out.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
i like a lot of the snare sound, i'm assuming to get that i need a thinner single ply head maybe 7mil or so. honestly i've never replaced the snare side head on any snare i always just used what is there so i don;t really know what to look for.

You'll need quite a bit thinner than 7 mil. The industry standard is 3 mil - Remo Ambassador Snare and Evans Hazy 300 have this thickness. For added snare articulation, you could go even thinner, to 2 mil heads such as Remo Diplomat Snare and Evans Hazy 200. Thinner snare side heads will in general give you more snare sound, with somewhat brighter pitch and less sustain in the actual drum tone.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Silver Member

so what would be the differences in marching snare heads and regular snare heads?

would a tom batter head work as a snare batter or is there a difference in the batter heads like thickness or something?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
so what would be the differences in marching snare heads and regular snare heads?
Heads intended for marching drums are designed to withstand the extremely high tension applied to marching snares. They are often made with materials such as kevlar to increase strength. Very, very few drumset drummers use them because they do not generally offer the wide range of response you can get out of normal drumset heads.

Quote:
would a tom batter head work as a snare batter or is there a difference in the batter heads like thickness or something?
As it happens, the most popular snare heads are precisely the same as tom heads: 10mil single-ply coated. More recordings have been made with 10mil single-ply coated snare batters than all the other snare batters combined. If you have a nice snare it's well worth trying one before exploring premuffled heads.

If you like Remo, it's the coated Ambassador. With Evans it's the coated G1.

A coated Ambassador over a hazy snare side Ambassador (Evans coated G1 over a Hazy 300) is the place to start with good snares. If you tune well, you may never try another head.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
fusssion

ANY mfg snare side head should work ...

one not mentioned that I have personal experience with is the Aquarian Classic Clear Snare Side.......