DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-18-2010, 07:18 PM
614Drums 614Drums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 66
Default Bass Cab

I was wondering... Can you use a Bass guitar cab as a "pa" for your bass drum.

For instance, if I wanted more power behind me then the 100Watt speakers you see on musiciansfriend could I get a Hartke cab (or any other bass guitar cab) for my triggered bass drum?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Bass Cab

I wouldn't recommend it, although it would work, you wouldn't get the greatest results. Do you need it for an actual PA speaker? (Meaning that you would use it to play for crowds at shows). Or do you want it for live monitoring/ practice? I'd recommend getting an active PA speaker cab like this one with a built in amp:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ker?sku=600299
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 PM
614Drums 614Drums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: Bass Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
I wouldn't recommend it, although it would work, you wouldn't get the greatest results. Do you need it for an actual PA speaker? (Meaning that you would use it to play for crowds at shows). Or do you want it for live monitoring/ practice? I'd recommend getting an active PA speaker cab like this one with a built in amp:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ker?sku=600299
I would be using it for playing live, nothing too big... 300-500 capacities places with the odd music hall here and there.

So you think that Tapco amp would do the job?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,766
Default Re: Bass Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614Drums View Post
I was wondering... Can you use a Bass guitar cab as a "pa" for your bass drum.

For instance, if I wanted more power behind me then the 100Watt speakers you see on musiciansfriend could I get a Hartke cab (or any other bass guitar cab) for my triggered bass drum?

Running the kick through the bass cab actually works quite well.

If your bass player is game, try a Y cord to your kick mike and check it out. Both through the same amp, great for small stages.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 07-20-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 AM
614Drums 614Drums is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: Bass Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Running the kick through the bass cab actually works quite well.

If your bass player is game, try a Y cord to your kick mike and check it out. Both through the same amp, great for small stages.

You guys are playing tricks on my mind lol, I don't know what to get ahah.
I'm lookin to set up with triggers for the first time (just on my bass) and I don't know what to get.

I will try running the trigger through my friends bass set up first. Lets hope it works.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,766
Default Re: Bass Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614Drums View Post
You guys are playing tricks on my mind lol, I don't know what to get ahah.
I'm lookin to set up with triggers for the first time (just on my bass) and I don't know what to get.

I will try running the trigger through my friends bass set up first. Lets hope it works.

..... min 400-450 watts on the bass head
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 AM
muckypops's Avatar
muckypops muckypops is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 194
Default Re: Bass Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 614Drums View Post
I was wondering... Can you use a Bass guitar cab as a "pa" for your bass drum.

For instance, if I wanted more power behind me then the 100Watt speakers you see on musiciansfriend could I get a Hartke cab (or any other bass guitar cab) for my triggered bass drum?
I would recommend it. After all, a bass cab is set up to pump out bass and that's what you want to do. It's a no brainer.

My ampeg 6x10 would blow your head off if you pumped kicks through it :) It'd be awesome!

Yes, run it through your friend's bass setup. That's a perfect idea.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-24-2010, 12:23 AM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: Bass Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypops View Post
I would recommend it. After all, a bass cab is set up to pump out bass and that's what you want to do. It's a no brainer.

My ampeg 6x10 would blow your head off if you pumped kicks through it :) It'd be awesome!

Yes, run it through your friend's bass setup. That's a perfect idea.
Sending 2 independent high-energy, low frequency sources to a cab tailor made and tuned for Bass guitar only is going to clip the amp and blow some speakers or drive it into thermal shutdown. I highly advise you against taking this course of action unless your buddy's bass amp is under warranty (even then, technically you'd void it by using the amp in a manner for which it wasn't designed).
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,766
Default Re: Bass Cab

Sending 2 independent high-energy, low frequency sources to a cab tailor made and tuned for Bass guitar only is going to clip the amp and blow some speakers or drive it into thermal shutdown.

Bass guitar and kick share the same general freq range.

'Independent high energy' would be from an amplifier.

A line level signal (like from a kick drum mic) is fine for a bass amp. I've used bass amps for kick drum stage monitors from time to time, they work fine, sometimes better than house monitors.

Blending line level signals is done all the time with mixing boards.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-24-2010, 01:22 PM
muckypops's Avatar
muckypops muckypops is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 194
Default Re: Bass Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Sending 2 independent high-energy, low frequency sources to a cab tailor made and tuned for Bass guitar only is going to clip the amp and blow some speakers or drive it into thermal shutdown. I highly advise you against taking this course of action unless your buddy's bass amp is under warranty (even then, technically you'd void it by using the amp in a manner for which it wasn't designed).
Bass amps and cabs are made precisely to reproduce this sort of thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. If what you said was true then bass players playing with their thumbs would be blowing out their amps and speakers every day. As long as you don't overdrive the amp into clipping and it has clean headroom you will be fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com