DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Default Reccomend a good throne ?

I'm in desperate need of a good throne. Mine is shot it constantly wobbles from all different sides, it never keeps the height you adjust it to. Ugh I just want to throw this thing against the wall.

I know a good throne isn't cheap so Id be willing to spend $150
I need something comfy that isn't going to end up like what I have wobbling in every direction while I play. And can keep it's height.

Also would it be wise to suck it up & spend the extra $$$ on a new one as opposed to a used ?
Old 02-19-2010, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Reccomend a good throne ?

Check out a Roc n Soc. They are super nice for about $150

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...uct?sku=445881
Old 02-19-2010, 06:06 PM

I second the roc n soc. Best investment for my butt i have ever made haha. Seriously though, its the finest throne I have ever sat on. I have the lunar flat based one with the optional backrest and gas shock absorber and its great.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 PM

Hmm thanks guys I've also been looking @ pork pie thrones those things look comfy as hell. But most of them look hideous as hell to lol.

I will have to hop on a ron n soc next time i'm @ gc
Old 02-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

I have a Soundseat and a Pierce Ergothrone and I love both. If I couldn't have either I'd rock the Pork Pie. They have great support and I dig the colors.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

+3 on the Roc N Soc. I have used a Lunar for the last five years and it has been fantastic, especially due to lower back injuries. Get the backrest, it feels fantastic.

Even my wife likes it. She borrows it to use around the house when I'm not looking...!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:20 PM

Roc N' Soc nitro throne, bicycle style. Best ever.
Especially if your a bit larger. I'm 5'11", 225 lbs, works great with my ass.
I should marry my girlfriend for getting me one for my last birthday.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 PM

Go Pork Pie! I own two Pork Pies, one round throne and one bicycle seat style. Love them both. They are ridiculously comfortable, the hardware is awesome (very heavy duty). I think the colors are the best part about them. If I didn't like the colors much I would go with a Roc N Soc, but I like my throne to match my set.

I will say that I wish the Pork Pies were adjustable via the lever like on other thrones (and office chairs). Spinning the Pork Pie around can be a bit bothersome if you adjust it frequently (which I don't).

Bottom line is upgrading to any 150.00 throne is going to feel like a dream compared to a wobbly old seat.

Oh and I dont know about Roc N Socs, but the Pork Pies claim to be "Made by an American" which gets some points in our struggling economy. Again though, Roc N Socs might be made in America for all I know.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:40 AM

I have the giant DW air ride 4 legger. Other then needing a hand cart to move the thing I find it..well I dont notice it. It has a bit of give when you sit and it swivels when you do. The padding is firm and I just no longer notice anything..which is good! No wobble, no sore butt, no nothing! I may go for the back rest at some point. And it's round, if you like round. I like round.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

I have to chime in on the Roc n Soc. I have the Nitro tripod version. It totally rules. I've been playing on cheap thrones for 30 years thinking they didn't matter much. I don't think that anymore.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .altamont. View Post
I should marry my girlfriend for getting me one for my last birthday.
For the love of God don't do it :)
Old 02-20-2010, 02:47 AM

Are they really called thrones or is there an inside joke every drummer gets but me?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie for life View Post
Hmm thanks guys I've also been looking @ pork pie thrones those things look comfy as hell. But most of them look hideous as hell to lol.

I will have to hop on a ron n soc next time i'm @ gc
I was out trying thrones today and I noticed there was a lot of side to side action and wobble to the Pork Pie big comfy round thrones. I really liked the Roc-n-Soc however and ordered me a rockin' blue nitro one to match my kit. I absolutely loved it. Got it for $149. I really didn't have a problem with my Tama seat but once I sat on the Roc-n-Soc I had to have it. Now where's that $%#% UPS man?!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums101 View Post
Are they really called thrones or is there an inside joke every drummer gets but me?
They really are called thrones. Don't know how it came about, but probably marketeers were strongly discouraging the use of "stool" because, well, it just isn't as dignified.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:12 AM

I have both a Roc N Soc ntiro (black on black with the backrest) and a Pork Pie "Big Boy" in Black & Red Meteor. The Pork Pie looks bad ass and has the screw type height adjustment as opposed to the hydraulics on the Roc N Soc. While I do like the extra little bit of comfort that the hydraulic setup provides, the height adjustment always seems to get changed when it gets packed and unpacked which is kind of annoying.

Seat wise, they're almost identical so it comes down to the other factors I mentioned.

Here's some pics of the Pork Pie:
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2010, 04:32 AM
Platinum Member

Yamaha thrones are fire proof:

Dave Jewell (Yamaha Marketing Manager) explains that Yamaha Corporations size and notoriety make it a "huge target" for litigation and regulatory zeal.-

"Before we bring a musical instrument to market we have to take extra time to examine contingencies that most companies never have to worry about. Every new instrument has to be approved by a branding committee to avoid any chance of lawsuits. We also have to spend time ensuring that every instrument is in compliance with environmental and consumer safety laws."

To illustrate, Jewell recounts a visit to Yamaha's Buena Park, California, headquarters by the California Bureau of Home Furnishings. "A couple of their agents came to take a piano bench, which technically is a piece of furniture, back to their lab to test its materials for fire retardant properties. When they spotted a drum kit we had set up in the lobby, they took our drum throne too. Of course, when they torched it, it burned. Based on that test, they told us we couldn't sell drum thrones in California or Ohio. To convince them that drum thrones shouldn't be classified as 'furniture,' we showed them samples of our competitors' thrones, which were all made of comparable materials, but they said their ruling was like a speeding ticket: 'We caught you.' So to comply with the Bureau's regulations we had to change the foam and other materials in our thrones, which, as a result, cost much more to build. So now every Yamaha throne has a white sticker on it just like you'd find on a piece of furniture."

Roc-N-Soc (others) now on notice?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 AM

I'm just glad I got one of the flammable ones. I hear they are more comfortable. ;)
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
They really are called thrones. Don't know how it came about, but probably marketeers were strongly discouraging the use of "stool" because, well, it just isn't as dignified.
That's hilarious: "stool" would indeed be a dangerous term. Ha! Reminds me of that old Phil Hartman SNL skit where he plays Frank Sinatra and Sting plays Billy Idol, and Idol threatens Sinatra with "Don't provoke me, old man." Sinatra lashes back with, "Easy, baby: I got chunks of guys like you in my stool!" Very funny skit.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I have to chime in on the Roc n Soc. I have the Nitro tripod version. It totally rules. I've been playing on cheap thrones for 30 years thinking they didn't matter much. I don't think that anymore.
How do the Roc n Soc Nitros compare to Pork Pie thrones? I have a PP throne, and it is great: like sitting on memory foam and good for the back. Are the Roc n Socs better?
Old 02-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Most musicians sit in a chair or on a stool, But the drummer sits on a throne! Never forget that! Don't let your band mates forget it either!
Old 02-20-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
How do the Roc n Soc Nitros compare to Pork Pie thrones? I have a PP throne, and it is great: like sitting on memory foam and good for the back. Are the Roc n Socs better?
It's subjective. I think RnS is better. You may not. They are definitely comparable in the comfort department. Pork Pies look cooler (+) and cost more (-) :)
Old 02-20-2010, 05:28 AM
Platinum Member

There is also the newer Pork Pie Gel Throne:

http://www.westworld.com/~porkpie/pr...blackvinyl.htm
Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 PM

I recently purchased a Tama 1st chair with the adjustable backrest. Very solid throne with a large saddle type seat. I don't get a sore back any more.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckypops View Post
I'm just glad I got one of the flammable ones. I hear they are more comfortable. ;)
When you get into advanced playing techniques, you're going to find support is of the upmost importance. Cushy, padded seats don't give support, they allow the body to sink in and roll side to side while playing.

Every time you lift a leg, your body rolls to one side and front to back on a heavily padded seat.

This movement doesn't make playing easier, its another adjustment the body has to deal with in the balance game of playing drums.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 07-20-2010 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:49 AM

i just got a roc n soc, and it is the best thing my butt has ever touched. it isn't too heavily padded, but it is still really comfy, and provides excellent mobility.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:48 AM

Definately give the Roc N Soc Nitro with the back rest a try. Super comfortable.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:59 AM

Gibraltar 9000 series base with roc n sock seat! this is by far the best combo. The Gibraltar 9000 series base is VERY sturdy and nice.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drums101 View Post
According to my sources, throne comes from the Greek, 1175-1225, thronus, which is a high seat.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Roc n Soc Lunar here. One of the best investments I ever made drumming wise. Get it with the backrest. A little more than $150.00, but you won't regret it and will be your last throne purchase for a long time. I had just a generic throne and could only play for about a half hour before feeling discomfort. Mow I can play for hours and not even think about it.
Attached Images

Roc N Soc Lunar Throne
DW 8002B Pedals