DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Idiot needs advice on new heads.

Alright guys, Now I need some more help. Itís time for me to get some new heads. However as a total n00b with no tuning experience, I am concerned about which heads to get. Iím trying to obtain a very fat sound out of my Gretsch Catalina Club Rock (which seems like it should be pretty easy) and I am looking for heads that will provide a loud, fat, warm punch and are durable. Thank you very much.

Ps. I'm currently running the old owner's G2 clears on the toms, but I don't really like them too much.

Also the Bass Drum has Evans EQ2 batter side with an EMAD Reso. I am very happy with those heads.

It's pronounced "Dee-Scrape-Ruh".

Proud owner of a Ludwig Acrolite
Old 02-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Rebel

Default Re: Drummer needs advice on new heads.

One question: Why do you consider yourself an idiot?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Idiot needs advice on new heads.

Try out some G2 Coated, I really liked the way those made my old set sound.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Default Re:idiot needs advice on new heads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
One question: Why do you consider yourself an idiot?
It's kinda like how people buy "The Complete idiot's guide to..."
I use self deprecating humour in the real world all the time.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:01 AM

Remo Emperor heads are great sounding
Old 02-17-2010, 12:05 AM

Agreed, for a fat sound get remo emperors :] i have em, nd i love em.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

I would suggest Evans G Plus heads. Rather than two thin plies like the Remo Emperor or the Evans G2, they have one thick ply. They are quite durable and easy to tune. If you want something that's a little less ringy, go for the EC1's.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:45 AM

When I read this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCRAPRE View Post
Iím trying to obtain a very fat sound out of my Gretsch Catalina Club Rock (which seems like it should be pretty easy) and I am looking for heads that will provide a loud, fat, warm punch and are durable.
my initial thought was Remo Emperors....then you said this:

Quote:
I'm currently running the old owner's G2 clears on the toms, but I don't really like them too much.
and I though, "Huh?" cuz Emperors and G2's are basically the same head, just made by different manufacturers, and they fit the bill perfectly for the sound you're after so how is it possible that you don't like them? I think you got the right type of heads but either yours are too used to get good sound from still, or, you need to work on your tuning. If it's the latter, don't feel bad cuz knowing how to tune is an art in itself, and many drummers have yet to master it.

Try Coated Emperors (or Coated G2's if you prefer Evans) to give you that "warm punch" you mentioned.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 AM
Gold Member

The emps or the g2's will get you the sound that you say you want. The most important thing you said what that you are not that good and tuning and so that is what you really need to work on; although I have gotten a TON better than I was in this past year of playing it all came about by playing around as well as reading, playing around more, and watching Russ Miller's "The Drum Set Crash Course Tuning Edition", I keep tweaking to get better at the task of getting that sound I am looking for, but that one DVD took me to where I was going. I can get the sound I want now and find other sweet sounds that sound good to me...get some heads, but learn to tune...it is VITAL

Best to you,
Old 02-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

You say you have G2s on now, is that just on top, and if so, what's on the bottom?

Evans G2 or Remo Emperor heads on top (batter side) are a great choice since they are solid industry-standard 2-ply heads. Very durable, sound fantastic and all that. I personally like coated, but clears are cool too.

For the bottom (resonant side), I would pick single-ply heads like G1s or Ambassadors. I do clear on the bottom, but some people like coated or smooth white, or whatever. Doesn't matter all that much.

The G2s you have on now might still have some life left in them, I don't know. If you have good single-ply resos on there, you'd be all set. If they say "Gretsch" anywhere on them, I'd ditch them right away. Reso heads are as important as the batters for getting your toms to sing.

Use your existing heads if they're still in decent shape and not factory, otherwise get new heads top and bottom. Either way, you GOTTA get the tuning thing down. Fortunately, in the modern age, it's really easy to do. Just click here and do what Bob does. Follow his instructions for toms, snare, kick, and that's all you need. You can adjust to your taste from there if it's not quite where you want them tuned, but you'll have a great starting point and they'll sound good right away.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys!

I think I'm going to try running Coated Ambassadors on the toms after my Evans wear out. I might also consider EC1s or the Remo equivalent because I do want to cut down on ringiness a bit.

As far as resos go, I got Evans Clear Genera Resos on my toms.

It is true that my tuning efforts totally blow and I did watch those Bob Gatzen videos before. It gave me a good idea, but my drums are at a different house as my computer, which is a real bummer, and my photographic memory is not so good, so those videos were not too much help. I was thinking about picking up a DrumDial. Is that a good idea?

One final question as they will be the first heads I replace;

My snare is running stock heads which are horrible. The G1 on top is ok but not the sound I am looking for, but the Gretsch branded Saran Wrap they have on the reso is terrible. I plan on replacing these later this week. What do you guys suggest? Because of previous suggestions, I was gravitating towards Ambassadors on the top and like, Diplomats on the bottom or something.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Last edited by DSCRAPRE; 02-17-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: some spelling
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about picking up a DrumDial. Is that a good idea?
I have a drumdial and its helped me out pretty well so far because i also suck at tuning lol, so i would recommend picking one up. Its a useful tool and makes it easy to tune once you know the sound/settings you like

Quote:
My snare is running stock heads which are horrible. The G1 on top is ok but not the sound I am looking for, but the Gretsch branded Saran Wrap they have on the reso is terrible. I plan on replacing these later this week. What do you guys suggest? Because of previous suggestions, I was gravitating towards Ambassadors on the top and like, Diplomats on the bottom or something.
Evans G1s are are basically Remo Ambassadors so you would just be switching to the same head. If you choose to go with Remo Ambassadors on ur reso side make sure you get the Snare side version. As for the batter i have heard alot of good reviews from the remo controlled sound reverse dot.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:06 PM

Drumdials are good but you still gotta tune by ear first. The drumdial just basically dials it in for ya (making sure every lug on the drum is equal in tension). Since your drums are at a different place than your computer why not take notes? Gatzen knows his stuff that's for sure. He has helped me out alot.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
One final question as they will be the first heads I replace;

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.
I would highly recommend an Aquarian Response 2 coated for the batter side of your snare. MMmmm best sounding snare head I've heard IMO.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

OK, Guys.

I'm gonna try to get out there tomorrow and I've looked into all of the heads that you guys suggested and for the snare I think that I'm going to get a Remo Coated Controlled Sound over a Hazy Diplomat . I naturally tend to strike right in the middle so the CS seems ideal. Thanks.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
I would suggest Evans G Plus heads. Rather than two thin plies like the Remo Emperor or the Evans G2, they have one thick ply. They are quite durable and easy to tune. If you want something that's a little less ringy, go for the EC1's.
Hate to hijack the thread, but- how are you liking the G Plus's as batters? I just recently put a set of G1 reso's on my toms and I have a set of G +'s here, waiting for me to decide to put them on the batter side or [like some have posted elsewhere on here and said they like it] put them on the reso side and move the G1's to the top...