DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Default How long should sticks last?

Hi again guys,

Now this is a big question, how long should sticks last?

Because as i have improved over the years my sticks 'life span' has seemed to get shorter maybe because i use alot of rim shots or i do a lot of Hi-Hat barks but i dont play very hard at all, lets just say im not a heavy metal drummer!

I never break sticks, i just severly 'christmas tree' them and want to ask you guys if me replacing my sticks once a month (sometimes more) is normal?

If not how long should a pair of decent sticks last or does it depend purely on what kind of drummer you are?

Thanks,
Tris
Old 02-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How long should sticks last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyBait911 View Post
I never break sticks, i just severly 'christmas tree' them and want to ask you guys if me replacing my sticks once a month (sometimes more) is normal?
In my experience a month is certainly fair value for a pair of sticks. Personally, I'd consider that in the 'normal' category......if there is such a thing as normal in this game.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:14 AM
Silver Member

I've been playing a bits over a year, and I've never even come closing to breaking a stick, save my homemade Cool-rods, i have a 3drumsticks 'pair' of 7A's, 5A's, 5B's, and 2B's, the 5B's and 7A's getting the most use, one of the three 5A's has a kind of broken tip, instead of being round its flat, two parallel slivers broke off the tip on opposite sides. All of my friends seem to have a 4 month average life-span, I guess I'm a weenie or something, but I hit 'better' than my friends, i don't push the stick through the drum or cymbal - i kind of (to use a totally nerdy term) think of 'activating' my drums and cymbals, let the sticks bounce and breathe and I can play just as loud.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 AM

Mine last anywhere from 15 minutes to a month lol

I got a "10 pairs for $10" pack at GC a month or two ago (so the quality of the sticks isn't that great) and I've broken pairs within 15 minutes of playing, but others have lasted me since i got the pack.

I don't hit really hard, but I don't play lightly either. I do a lot of rim-shots as well so that has breaks them sometimes. =/

Youtube: www.youtube.com/frankdrums92
Old 02-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Pioneer Member

I have had some sticks last for years, others for months, and some for weeks. I bought a 4 pair special of Vic Firth 5As in summer 09 and still have two pairs left with very little wear. I had a pair of Vater Super Jazz last about a year, and some Sweet Rides that are going on about the same (although I don't play as much with these). I've had Promark oak 707s that have been through rock concerts and pep band games for 4 years. I'm primarily a big band drummer, but also play rock and pop frequently. I don't play hard, but can play quite loud depending on the music. Typically though, I play more strokes which sort of makes up for the wear on sticks. I'm finding Vater to be a bit more resistant to average playing wear than Vic Firth.